Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets Description
Rospitril Plus is a prescription medication. It belongs to a class of medicines called antipsychotics. This is a fixed combination containing 2 active components, Risperidone and Trihexyphenidyl. The
use of Rospitril Plus is in the treatment of schizophrenia. In disorders such as schizophrenia, chemical messengers (neurotransmitters) in the brain called dopamine and serotonin are increased. Risperidone works by blocking dopamine and serotonin pathways. This decreases the negative effects of schizophrenia. It blocks the reabsorption of serotonin. Trihexyphenidyl is an anticholinergic agent. It works on the central nervous system to prevent certain side effects of antipsychotic medications. The combination of Risperidone and Trihexyphenidyl hence is effective in producing lesser side effects. The medication should be taken as recommended by your treating physician. It is recommended to complete the entire course of the medication as prescribed by the treating physician. Abruptly stopping this medication can cause worsening of symptoms.
|You Save||₹8.12 (15% on MRP)|
|Contains||Risperidone(2.0 Mg) + Trihexyphenidyl / Benzhexol Hydrochloride(2.0 Mg)|
|Uses||Treatment of schizophrenia, acute manic episodes in bipolar disorder, autism-associated irritability|
|Side effects||Weight gain, sedation, dizziness, dry mouth, constipation, nausea, anxiety, fall in BP|
Uses of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
- Treatment of Schizophrenia
- Treatment of acute manic episodes in Bipolar I disorder
- Treatment of Autism-associated irritability
Contraindications of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
- If you are hypersensitive or allergic to Risperidone or Trihexyphenidyl.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
- It is contraindicated for elderly patients who suffer from dementia-related psychosis.
- Patients with underlying cardiovascular diseases can be at increased risk of an adverse event.
Side effects of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
- Dizziness & blurring of vision
- Weight gain
- Increased appetite
- Nausea & vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Can cause decrease in normal blood cell counts
- Sudden stoppage can cause withdrawal symptoms like exacerbation of schizophrenia
- Orthostatic hypotension(dizziness while standing up from a sitting position)
Precautions and Warnings of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
Other General Warnings
- You experience side effects that persist.
- You conceive during the course of the medication or are planning a pregnancy.
Mode of Action of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
- This medication should be taken as prescribed by the physician.
- It is recommended to take this medication at the same time every day for optimal pharmacological effects.
- This medication can be taken with or without food.
- This medication must be swallowed as a whole.
- Do not crush, chew or break this tablet.
- It is recommended to finish the full course of this medication as prescribed by your treating doctor.
- Abruptly discontinuing the medication can cause withdrawal side effects.
- Any change to the dosage must be made after consulting with the physician.
Interactions of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Carbamazepine and other enzyme inducers decrease plasma concentrations of Risperidone.
- Fluoxetine and paroxetine increase plasma concentrations of Risperidone. These act on an enzyme required for the metabolism of this medication.
- Use with other medications with anticholinergic action (like antihistamines, tricyclic antidepressants) can increase side effects.
- To be used in caution with medications used for hypertension (raised blood pressure) as this medication can decrease blood pressure.
- Dosage of sugar medications may have to be adjusted as it may cause an increase in blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
Interactions with food items
- There are no specific food restrictions required.
Storage and disposal of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
Dosage of Rospitril Plus 2mg Tablets
Missed a Dose
Dr. Bhavika Shah
MBBS, MD (Dermatology), DNB (Dermatology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I have severe nausea after taking Rospitril Plus. I want to stop taking this medication. What should I do?
Q: Since I started taking Rospitril Plus I feel more anxious. Is this normal?
Q: I am a social drinker. I have only one drink or so every couple of weeks. Is this okay?
- McNeil SE, Gibbons JR, Cogburn M. Risperidone. [Updated 2021 Aug 9]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from:
- Jilani TN, Sabir S, Sharma S. Trihexyphenidyl. [Updated 2021 Dec 4]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from:
- RISPERIDAL (risperidone) tablets.
- ARTANE (Trihexyphenidyl) tablets.