Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
By USV PVT LTD
20 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet contains metformin as its active ingredient. It is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus (also called known as non-insulin-dependent diabetes). Take this medicine as prescribed and for the duration, it is prescribed for by your doctor. It should be taken with or after having food. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet is used for type 2 diabetes mellitus (‘non-insulin-dependent diabetes’) when diet and exercise have not been able to control your blood glucose levels.
Contraindications of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- If you are allergic to metformin or any other ingredients of Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet.
- If you have problems with your liver or kidney.
- If you are an alcoholic (you daily consume alcohol in excess).
- If you have uncontrolled diabetes.
- If you have any heart problems or if you recently had a heart attack.
- If you have a severe infection of the lung or kidney. Infections can increase the risk of lactic acidosis.
Side effects of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Mild diarrhoea
- Stomach pain
- Altered taste sensations
- Loss of appetite
- Vitamin B12 deficiency (low level of vitamin B12 in blood)
- Skin rash, redness, itching
- Lactic acidosis (too much acid in the body)
- Abnormal liver function tests and hepatitis
Precautions and Warnings of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Can I take Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet during pregnancy?
Mostly, in pregnancy-related diabetes, insulin is preferred over any oral anti-diabetic medicines. Your doctor will mostly not prescribe you this medicine during pregnancy. Do not use in pregnancy without a doctor’s advice.
Can I take Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet while breastfeeding?
Metformin is known to pass into breast milk. So Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet should be not taken in breastfeeding without a doctor's advice.
Can I drive if I have consumed Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet?
- If you are taking Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet along with other anti-diabetic medicines, there are chances your blood sugar can fall.
- Always keep sugar, juice or a bar of chocolate in your car with you while driving.
- In case you experience any of the symptoms of low blood glucose levels like dizziness, drowsiness, visual disturbances and sweating, stop driving immediately and have sugar/ juice.
- Do not consume sugar-free at such episodes.
Can I consume alcohol with Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet?
Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol while taking Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet. Alcohol lowers blood sugar which can be dangerous and also increases the risk of a serious condition called lactic acidosis.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from continuous diarrhoea, vomiting, loss of body fluids.
- You experience signs of low blood glucose like dizziness, weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweating, inability to concentrate. Metformin does not usually cause sudden low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). If Metformin is prescribed with other anti-diabetic medications, low blood sugar may occur.read less
- You experience muscle pain, stomach pain, vomiting, breathing difficulty, low body temperature. This could be a serious condition known as lactic acidosis.
- Stop taking Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet for a short time if you have severe vomiting or diarrhea.
Mode of Action of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
How Does It Work?
- Your pancreas produces a hormone called insulin. Insulin drives glucose (sugar) from the blood to enter inside the cell. Then this glucose is utilized as energy by the cell.
- If you have diabetes mellitus, your pancreas either does not make enough insulin or your body is unable to use properly the insulin it produces (insulin resistance).
- As a result, glucose is not able to enter into the cells and this leads to a high level of glucose in your blood.
- Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, lowering the amount of sugar created by the liver and facilitating the entry of sugar into the cells.
Directions for Use of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It should be taken with or after a meal to reduce its side effects. It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results and should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet may interact with other medicines, discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled.read less
- Medicines used to reduce pain and swelling like Ibuprofen, Celecoxib.
- Medicines used to treat asthma like salbutamol or terbutaline.
- Medicines like furosemide (diuretics).
- If you need to take an injection of iodine-containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for an X-ray or scan, your doctor will ask you to stop taking metformin before or at the time of injection.
- If you are on medicines that are used to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) for the long term, these can damage your kidneys. The use of such medicines in diabetes should be avoided.read less
Interactions with food items
- Absorption of vitamin B12 appears to be reduced during long-term metformin therapy and annual screening of serum vitamin B12 levels and red blood cell parameters has been recommended.
- It is advisable to have a diabetic diet as advised by your doctor or dietician. This medicine works best along with a good diet and exercise. Exercise is known to decrease insulin resistance.
Storage and disposal of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
- Store Glycomet SR 500 mg tablets in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Do not use expired or damaged medicines.
- Discard any unused medicine properly. Do not flush in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Glycomet Sr 500mg Strip Of 20 Tablets
Excess of Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet may lead to lactic acidosis causing symptoms like vomiting, stomachache, muscle cramps and difficulty in breathing. You must seek immediate emergency medical care if you suspect an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you miss any dose, take it as soon as you remember with food. However, if it is time for the next dose then skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule. Do not double the dose to catch up.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Does taking Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet alone help in diabetes?
A: Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet is used with a proper diet and exercise program. Single-drug therapy with metformin can be given in pre-diabetes or at the onset of diabetes. In diabetic at a later stage insulin production itself becomes very poor and a drug from other group of antidiabetics needs to be added to control high blood sugar.
Q: What should I tell the healthcare provider before I start treatment with Glycomet SR 500 mg tablet?
- You must get screened for baseline Vitamin B12 levels, kidney and liver profile. Other factors like weight, body mass index (BMI), baseline blood sugar levels before starting the treatment should be notedread less
- You must share all the relevant medical and surgical history, your past and ongoing medicines, etc. with your doctor
Q: What food items should I include in my diet?
- A diet should be high in fibre, low in fat with adequate protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Diet should include boiled, steamed or baked food.
- Ensure moderate use of edible oils (groundnut oil, olive oil).
- Maintain regular meal timings and try to have 2-3 healthy snacks between meals like soups and salads.
Q: What all should I avoid being a diabetic patient?
- Do not shop when you are hungry. You could be tempted to buy oil and fried food.
- Avoid cream soups, carrot juice, deep-fried vegetables, vegetable curries with excess oil.
- Avoid white bread, potato, noodles, corn flakes, biryani, naan, fried rice, etc.
- Avoid cheese, milkshakes, ice creams.
- Try to avoid pork, beef, soft drinks, sugarcane juice, sweetened health drinks and beverages.
Last Updated on: 17 Nov 2020 | 03:52 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved