Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
Gluconorm Sr 500 MG Description
Gluconorm SR 500 tablet is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus (also known as non-insulin-dependent diabetes). It contains metformin as its active ingredient. This medicine helps to lower the raised blood sugar levels.
Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor and for the prescribed duration. It should be taken with or after having food. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and also about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
Contraindications of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
- If you are allergic to metformin or any other ingredients of Gluconorm SR 500 tablet.
- If you have problems with your liver or kidney.
- If you are an alcoholic (you daily consume alcohol in excess).
- If you have uncontrolled diabetes.
- If you have any heart problems or if you recently had a heart attack.
- If you have a severe infection of the lung or kidney. Infections can increase the risk of lactic acidosis.
Side effects of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
- Stomach pain
- Taste disturbance
- Loss of appetite
Precautions and Warnings of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
- If you are taking the Gluconorm SR 500 tablet along with other antidiabetic medicines, there are chances your blood sugar may drop.
- You may experience dizziness, increased sweating, weakness, difficulty concentrating, which can impair your driving ability. Thus, you should take extra care when driving.
- Always keep sugar, juice or a bar of chocolate in your car while driving. In case you experience any of the symptoms, stop driving immediately and have sugar/ juice. Do not consume sugar-free items at such episodes....
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from continuous diarrhoea, vomiting, loss of body fluids.
- You experience signs of low blood glucose like dizziness, weakness, rapid heartbeat, sweating, inability to concentrate. Metformin does not usually cause sudden low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). If Metformin is prescribed with other anti-diabetic medications, low blood sugar may occur....
- You experience muscle pain, stomach pain, vomiting, breathing difficulty, low body temperature. This could be a serious condition known as lactic acidosis.
- Stop taking Gluconorm SR 500 tablet for a short time if you have severe vomiting or diarrhea.
Directions for Use of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
Storage and disposal of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
Quick Tips of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
- Gluconorm SR 500 is an oral anti-diabetic medicine. It is used for the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Before starting this medicine, inform the doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about your complete medical history.
- You can make some lifestyle changes while taking this medication to improve your health, such as giving up smoking, consuming less alcohol, exercising regularly, and adhering to a healthy, balanced diet....
- Talk to your doctor if you have conditions like heart failure, lung failure, shock, heart attack, etc.
- Take this medicine in the exact dose and duration as recommended. Do not take more than the prescribed dose.
- Gluconorm SR 500 tablets should not be used in children below 10 years of age.
Dosage of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
Missed a Dose
Mode of Action of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
How Does It Work?
- Your pancreas produces a hormone called insulin. Insulin drives glucose (sugar) from the blood to enter the cell. Then this glucose is utilized as energy by the cell.
- If you have diabetes mellitus, your pancreas either does not make enough insulin or your body is unable to use properly the insulin it produces (insulin resistance).
- As a result, glucose is not able to enter the cells and this leads to a high level of glucose in your blood.
- Gluconorm SR 500 tablet works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, lowering the amount of sugar created by the liver and facilitating the entry of sugar into the cells.
Interactions of Gluconorm Sr 500 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Gluconorm SR 500 tablet may interact with other medicines, discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled....
- Medicines used to reduce pain and swelling like Ibuprofen, Celecoxib.
- Medicines used to treat asthma like salbutamol or terbutaline.
- Medicines like furosemide (diuretics).
- If you need to take an injection of iodine-containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for an X-ray or scan, your doctor will ask you to stop taking metformin before or at the time of injection.
- If you are on medicines that are used to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) for the long term, these can damage your kidneys. The use of such medicines in diabetes should be avoided....
Interactions with food items
- Absorption of vitamin B12 appears to be reduced during long-term metformin therapy and annual screening of serum vitamin B12 levels and red blood cell parameters has been recommended.
- It is advisable to have a diabetic diet as advised by your doctor or dietician. This medicine works best along with a good diet and exercise. Exercise is known to decrease insulin resistance.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I tell the healthcare provider before I start treatment with Gluconorm SR 500 tablet?
- You should get screened for baseline Vitamin B12 levels, kidney and liver profile. Other factors like weight, body mass index (BMI), baseline blood sugar levels before starting the treatment should be noted...
- You must share all the relevant medical and surgical history, your past and ongoing medicines, etc. with your doctor
Q: What food items should I include in my diet?
- A diet should be high in fibre, low in fat with adequate protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Diet should include boiled, steamed or baked food.
- Ensure moderate use of edible oils (groundnut oil, olive oil).
- Maintain regular meal timings and try to have 2-3 healthy snacks between meals like soups and salads.
Q: Can Gluconorm SR 500 tablet be stopped if my blood sugar level comes in control?
Q: Does Gluconorm SR 500 tablet contain metformin?
Q: What is the best time to take Gluconorm SR 500 tablet?
Q: What is Gluconorm SR 500 tablet used for?
- Metformin 500mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 18 May 2022]
- Metformin 500mg tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 18 May 2022]
- Misbin R. The Phantom of Lactic Acidosis due to Metformin in Patients With Diabetes. 2021. [cited 18 May 2022]
- Metformin [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2022 [cited 18 May 2022]
Other Products from this Brand
- GLUCONORM SR 1GM STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM G 3MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM P 15MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM Z XR 60 STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM Z 80MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM G 0.5MG FORTE STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM VG 2MG PLUS STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM SR 850MG STRIP OF 10 TABLETS
- GLUCONORM G PLUS 2MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS