Flunil 40mg Capsule
Flunil 40 MG Description
Flunil is a prescription medication that is used in the treatment of major depressive disorder in adults. It is also commonly used to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), bulimia, binge-eating
disorders, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). Depression is a mood disorder characterised by low mood and feelings of hopelessness. One of the reasons for the occurrence of depression is a drop in the levels of serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical in the brain that helps transmit signals. Flunil helps increase serotonin levels in the brain and is effective in the treatment of depression. The other uses of Flunil include improving the quality of sleep and reducing anxiety associated with other disorders. Your doctor will guide you on how to take Flunil. It is generally advisable to take the tablet at the same time every day as this ensures the best action of the medication, decreasing the chances of relapse of symptoms significantly. It is also recommended to complete the entire course of the medication as prescribed by the treating physician. Abruptly stopping this drug can cause worsening symptoms. This medication can require up to 4 weeks of continuous use for optimal functioning.
|You Save||₹2.59 (4% on MRP)|
|Uses||Treatment of Depressions, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorders, premenstrual mood disorders, bulimia, binge-eating disorders|
|Side effects||Dry mouth, diarrhoea, nausea, drowsiness, confusion, increased sweating, delayed ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, low sexual desire, headache, anxiety, weight gain/loss.|
Uses of Flunil 40 MG
- Acute and maintenance treatment of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD)
- Acute and maintenance treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Acute and maintenance treatment of Bulimia Nervosa
- Acute treatment of Panic Disorder, with or without agoraphobia
- In combination with olanzapine for the treatment of:
- Acute Depressive Episodes Associated with Bipolar I Disorder
- Treatment Resistant Depression (1)
Contraindications of Flunil 40 MG
Side effects of Flunil 40 MG
- Loss of appetite
- Dry Mouth
- Drowsiness or Yawning
Precautions and Warnings of Flunil 40 MG
Other General Warnings
- Patients with Diabetes might find it challenging to maintain sugar levels after starting Flunil. Blood sugar levels need to be checked frequently for the first few weeks. Adjustment of diabetes medication might be required....
Mode of Action of Flunil 40 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Flunil 40 MG
- This medication should be taken as prescribed by the treating physician.
- It is recommended to take this medication on a regular schedule, i.e., at the same time every day, for optimal pharmacological effects of this medication.
- Swallow this medication whole. Do not crush, chew or break this tablet.
- It is recommended to finish the entire course of this medication as prescribed by your treating doctor. Abrupt stoppage of the drug can cause withdrawal side effects. Consult your doctor before stopping this medication....
- This medication may require up to four weeks for the onset of action. Do not increase the dose without explicit advice from your treating physician.
- Driving/ use of heavy machinery is not advised while using this medication.
- In case of worsening of your symptoms such as persistent low mood, increased anxieties, worsening of obsessive behaviour, suicidal ideation, consult your doctor immediately.
Interactions of Flunil 40 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Fluoxetine should not be mixed with alcohol, as it can cause worsening of side effects such as light-headedness, sedation and can be dangerous.
- It should not be mixed with medications that cause the arrest of bleeding, such as aspirin, NSAIDs, heparin, warfarin, and other anticoagulants, as Fluoxetine in itself causes decreased activity of platelets. This may lead to bruising, nose bleeds, or internal bleeding....
- This drug should not be used concomitantly or within two weeks of using Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like Selegiline, Rasagiline, etc. It may cause serotonin syndrome, which is potentially life threatening....
- The use of Fluoxetine with thioridazine, pimozide, or monoamine oxidase inhibitors, including linezolid or methylene blue, is also contraindicated.
- Patients taking other medications that increase serotonin levels should receive education regarding the risks.
- It should not be used with drugs that also cause QTc prolongation.
Interactions with food items
- This medication can be taken with or without food.
Storage and disposal of Flunil 40 MG
Dosage of Flunil 40 MG
- Fluoxetine is rarely fatal in mono-therapy overdose.
- However, it may cause ataxia (loss of muscle coordination) and respiratory depression when taken with alcohol. The drug may cause serotonin syndrome (clinical constellation of changes in mental status, autonomic instability, and neuromuscular abnormalities) when taken in excessive amounts or combined with other agents that also increase serotonin levels, like other SSRIs....
- In case of a suspected overdose, rush the patient to a tertiary care hospital for appropriate intervention and treatment.
Missed a Dose
Dr. Bhavika Shah
MBBS, MD (Dermatology), DNB (Dermatology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I have taken Flunil for two weeks now, but still, I feel it is not helping me. Can I increase the dose?
Q: I have had problems with ejaculation since starting this medication. Should I stop it?
- Delayed ejaculation and low sexual desire are common side effects of this medication. Discuss with your treating physician regarding this for other options and treatment. Do not abruptly stop this medication without the explicit advice of your doctor....