Megatil 50mg Injection 2ml
Megatil 50 MG Description
Megatil injection is a prescription medicine. It is used for treating symptoms of schizophrenia (a mental disorder) and other psychotic disorders. Managing the symptoms of mania in bipolar disorder,
nervousness, anxiety, behaviour problems, etc., are other uses of Megatil injections. Megatil injection has a single active ingredient, chlorpromazine. It belongs to the class of antipsychotic medications. The mode of action of Megatil injections is to block certain receptors in the nervous system, which improves behaviour and mood. Psychotic conditions make it difficult for the affected person to discern between reality and imagination. This medication helps in managing such symptoms and improves the quality of life. The doctor’s directions for use of Megatil injections should be strictly followed; else, there may be side effects. This medication can be taken with or without food. Most side effects of Megatil injections do not require any medical intervention as they subside gradually. However, it is best to consult with a doctor in case of persistent side effects. Abruptly stopping this medicine can cause withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, nervousness, vomiting, and dizziness.
|You Save||₹0.63 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||Schizophrenia, Psychotic conditions, Bipolar mania, Nausea and vomiting, Anxiety, Hiccups, Behavioural problems like aggressiveness|
|Side effects||Nausea, Weight gain, Constipation, Sedation, Orthostatic hypotension, Dry mouth|
Uses of Megatil 50 MG
- As per USFDA, the Megatil injection is used for the following:
- Treatment of symptoms associated with schizophrenia, as an antipsychotic medicine (reduces strong and inappropriate symptoms, disturbed/unusual thinking, etc.)
- Treatment of severe behaviour problems such as explosive, aggressive behaviour and hyperactivity in children from the age 1 to 12
- Treatment of symptoms associated with psychotic disorders
- Management of mania in bipolar disorder
- Treatment of nausea and vomiting (for example, before surgery)
- Treatment of intractable hiccups
- Treatment of acute intermittent porphyria (condition in which certain natural substances build up in the body causing stomach pain, thinking and behaviour changes, and other symptoms)
Contraindications of Megatil 50 MG
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients of Megatil injection
- If you are diagnosed with Reye’s Syndrome
- If you have Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS); immediately discontinue this injection
- If you have severe central nervous system depression (reduces central nervous system functionality of breathing)
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye); this medicine worsens the condition
- If you are suffering from conditions such as tardive dyskinesia (involuntary movements of the face)
- If you have dementia (memory loss); this medicine can increase the side effects and even cause death. Dose adjustment is required
- If you have a urinary problem; this medicine can worsen the condition
- If you are pregnant; this medicine can have serious side effects on the foetus, especially if taken in the third trimester
- If you are breastfeeding; consult your doctor before taking Megatil medicine
- If you are a child or adolescent under 18
- If the affected person is in a comatose state
Side effects of Megatil 50 MG
- Weight gain
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Urinary retention
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden fall of blood pressure on standing)
- Decreased sexual ability
Precautions and Warnings of Megatil 50 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have hypertension or high blood pressure. This medicine should be used with caution as it can increase blood pressure.
- You have seizure syndrome. This medicine should be used with extreme caution, as it can increase the risk of seizures.
- You have heart, lung or kidney disorder.
- You have a planned surgery or need to be anaesthetised.
- You are an older adult. Dose adjustment is needed to prevent excessive side effects. Due to slow metabolism in older adults, this medicine takes time to be eliminated from the body.
- You have stayed in sunlight for a long time, been exposed to insecticides, or been administered atropine.
- You use any herbal or Ayurvedic medicines and supplements. Your doctor will check for possible interactions.
- Do not suddenly stop using the Megatil injections, as this can cause neuroleptic malignant syndrome (fever, altered mental status, muscle stiffness, etc.).
Mode of Action of Megatil 50 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Megatil 50 MG
- Take a Megatil Injection precisely as directed by the doctor.
- You can take a Megatil injection before or after consuming food.
- Megatil injection should be administered by a doctor or healthcare professional.
- Most of the time, injections can be given intramuscularly (IM) or directly into the muscle (mostly buttocks).
- Sometimes the injection is given intravenously (into a vein through a needle) after dilution.
- Try to keep the injection site clean and dry.
- Do not inject this medicine by yourself.
- If you feel any pain or burning sensation at the site of injection, notify your doctor.
- Do not take other medication with Megatil Injection without informing your doctor.
Interactions of Megatil 50 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Inform your doctor about all medicines and supplements you are currently taking to avoid side effects associated with medicine interaction. The following medicines are known to interact with Megatil injections....
- Do not take a Megatil injection if you use medication that increases blood pressure. This injection can further increase blood pressure.
- Megatil medicine lowers the effect of blood thinners like warfarin.
- Using certain medicines like phenytoin and propranolol can increase the amounts of both medicines in the body.
- Using this medicine with opioid or narcotic pain relievers can increase side effects like drowsiness.
- If you use medicines that lower lung secretions or saliva, Megatil injections will negate the effects of those medicines.
- Do not use other antipsychotics, anticonvulsants, and anti-Parkinsonian medications with Megatil injections. It can cause adverse reactions.
- Other medicines that Megatil injections interact with are antihistamines (allergy medicine), heart medicines, and fever-reducing medicines.
Interactions with food items
- Try to avoid grapefruit and its juice, as this fruit can increase the levels of Megatil injection in the body. It can lead to many side effects.
Storage and disposal of Megatil 50 MG
Dosage of Megatil 50 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Megatil injections cause heatstroke?
Q: Will I gain weight by using Megatil injections daily?
Q: Can I stop taking Megatil injections if I start feeling better?
- Chlorpromazine: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. medlineplus.gov. U.S. National Library of Medicine [cited 2022 Mar 19]- Available from:
- New Drugs Approved by CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Mar 19] - Available from:
- 40224 Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride Approval [Internet] [cited 2022 Mar 19] - Available from:
- Chlorpromazine [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 2022 Mar 19]. Available from