Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets Description
Duvanta NP is a prescription medication. It is used in the management of neuropathic pain (pain that occurs as a result of nerve damage). The active components of Duvanta NP are Duloxetine (40mg) and
Methylcobalamin (1500mcg). Neuropathic pain essentially refers to pain that is a consequence of damage to nerves. This is commonly seen associated with conditions like Diabetes Mellitus, infections like leprosy, herpes, HIV, Post-stroke pain, etc. These disease processes result in damage to peripheral nerves and along the pathways of touch and pain signal transmission to and from the brain. Neuropathic pain is distinct in its presentation; patients typically present with burning sensation, electric-shock like sensations, and pain in response to non-painful stimuli like a soft touch. The symptoms of neuropathic pain often persist chronically and can be debilitating to patients. It can result in sleep disturbance, depression, and anxiety as well. Neuropathic pain is a frequent cause of repeat hospital visitations. Duvanta NP is a combination of Duloxetine which works on chemical messengers along the nerve pathways to decrease the perception of pain, and Methylcobalamin, which is a neuro-protective agent. This medication is especially effective in the management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain. Take this medication as prescribed by your treating doctor. Taking the tablet at the same time every day is advisable for maximum efficacy. Do not abruptly stop this medication without consulting your doctor.
|You Save||₹20.35 (11% on MRP)|
|Contains||Duloxetine + Mecobalamin [Vit B12]|
|Uses||Treatment of neuropathic pain (diabetic neuropathic pain)|
|Side effects||nausea, dry mouth, somnolence, fatigue, constipation, decreased appetite, and hyperhidrosis|
|Therapy||DRUGS FOR PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY|
Uses of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
- As per CDSCO regulations, Duvanta NP is used in the treatment of Neuropathic Pain (Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathic Pain)
Contraindications of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
- Hypersensitivity reactions – avoid using this medication in case of hypersensitivity reactions to this medication/ inactive ingredients.
- This medication should not be used in patients with liver impairment.
- It is contraindicated in patients with kidney failure.
- It is contraindicated in patients with angle-closure glaucoma.
- This medication should not be used in patients with any known seizure disorder.
- It is contraindicated in patients with elevated blood pressure, not on treatment (uncontrolled hypertension), as it can result in a hypertensive crisis.
- It is contraindicated in patients with urinary retention and hesitation.
- This medication should not be used in patients with a history or family history of mania or bipolar disorder, as it may result in activation of mania.
- There is an FDA black box warning for an increase in suicidal ideation when used in children, adolescents, and young adults <24 years of age.
- This medication is not approved for use in the paediatric age group.
Side effects of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
- Dry Mouth
- Somnolence (increased sleepiness)
- Decreased Appetite
- Increased sweating (hyperhidrosis)
- Sexual dysfunction
Precautions and Warnings of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
Other General Warnings
- Inform your doctor about any other medications you are taking. This tablet interacts with many other medications that use the same metabolic enzymes.
- You should report to your doctor immediately in case of any discomfort or sudden mood changes.
Mode of Action of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
- This medication should be taken as prescribed by your doctor.
- Take this medication on a regular schedule, i.e., at the same time every day, for best effects.
- Swallow this medication as a whole with a glass of water. Do not crush, chew or break this tablet.
- It is recommended to finish the full course of this medication as prescribed by your treating doctor.
- It may take up to 2-3 weeks of continued use for this medication to see results.
- Abrupt stoppage of the medicine can cause withdrawal side effects. Consult your doctor before stopping this medication.
Interactions of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- This medication should not be used concomitantly with MAOIs (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors) or within 14 days of the use of MAOIs and vice versa. Examples of MAOIs include Selegiline, Rasagiline.
- This is because it can result in a life-threatening condition called Serotonin Syndrome.
- It should also not be used alongside other medications that can cause an increase in Serotonin levels, like anti-depressants, linezolid, triptans, and opioids.
- It should not be mixed with medications that cause the arrest of bleeding, such as aspirin, NSAIDs, heparin, warfarin, and other anticoagulants. This is because Duloxetine itself causes an increased risk of bleeding. ...
- This medication should not be mixed with alcohol, opioids, or any other CNS involving medications.
- It should not be used with medications that are potent inhibitors of the enzymes that metabolise Duloxetine.
- Inform your doctor regarding your regular medications at the time of prescription of Duvanta NP.
Interactions with food items
- This medication does not have any known interaction with food.
Storage and disposal of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
Dosage of Duvanta Np 40mg Tablets
- Signs and symptoms of overdose of Duloxetine include vomiting, rise or fall of blood pressure, increase in heart rate, transient loss of consciousness, somnolence, seizures, coma, and serotonin syndrome....
- In case of a suspected overdose, rush the patient to a tertiary care centre with ICU facilities for further evaluation and treatment.
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I have been using this medicine for a few days but feel no change. What should I do?
Q: I have been having issues with intercourse since starting this medication. What should I do?
Q: I have been prescribed a course of painkillers for a knee injury. Can I take it with this tablet?
- Cymbalta (duloxetine hydrochloride).
- Dhaliwal JS, Spurling BC, Molla M. Duloxetine. [Updated 2021 Jun 11]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-.
- Colloca, L., Ludman, T., Bouhassira, D., Baron, R., Dickenson, A. H., Yarnitsky, D., Freeman, R., Truini, A., Attal, N., Finnerup, N. B., Eccleston, C., Kalso, E., Bennett, D. L., Dworkin, R. H., & Raja, S. N. (2017). Neuropathic pain. Nature reviews. Disease primers, 3, 17002
- Sharma, C., Kaur, I., Singh, H., Grover, I. S., & Singh, J. (2021). A randomised comparative study of methylcobalamin, methylcobalamin plus pregabalin and methylcobalamin plus duloxetine in patients of painful diabetic neuropathy. Indian journal of pharmacology, 53(5), 358–363.
- Cymbalta 30mg hard gastro-resistant capsules - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 18 March 2022].