Citopam 40mg Tab
By SUN PHARMA
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
We do not sell this product
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Citopam 40 mg tablet is a medication that is mainly used to treat depression. Citopam 40 mg tablet contains 40 mg of citalopram as an active ingredient. Citalopram belongs to a very important class of medicines known as SSRIs (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Depression is a mental disorder characterised by a persistent feeling of sadness, low mood, and lack of interest in activities that compromise that person's quality of life. Citopam improves the symptoms of depression and makes that person feel better. Citopam 40 mg causes side effects including nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation, increased sweating, body shaking, dry mouth, sexual dysfunction, and sleeplessness....
|You Save||₹8.53 (18% on MRP)|
|Best Offer||Use Code: 18SAVE & get 18% discount|
|Uses||Depression, Anxiety disorder, Panic disorder|
|Side effects||Nausea, Vomiting, Sexual dysfunction|
Check more medicines with composition as Citalopram(40.0 Mg)
Uses of Citopam 40 MG
- Citopam 40 mg tablet is used for treating the symptoms of the following:
- Anxiety disorder
- Panic disorders
Contraindications of Citopam 40 MG
- Citopam 40 mg is contraindicated in the following cases:
- If you are allergic to Citopam tablet
- If you have severe heart rhythm problems
Side effects of Citopam 40 MG
- Citopam 40 mg has the following side effects:
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Increased sweating
- Body shaking
- Dry mouth
- Sexual dysfunction
Precautions and Warnings of Citopam 40 MG
Can I take Citopam 40 mg tablet during pregnancy?
It must be avoided as there is evidence that this medicine might harm the growing baby. Consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to conceive.
Can I take Citopam 40 mg tablet while breastfeeding?
There is evidence that this medicine secretes into the breastmilk. So do not take this medicine if you are breastfeeding as this can harm the baby.
Can I drive if I have taken Citopam 40 mg tablet?
No, you should not drive as this medication tends to decrease alertness.
Can I consume alcohol with Citopam 40 mg tablet?
No, alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of Citopam. These include drowsiness, dizziness, poor concentration, etc.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You feel sudden changes in your mood or behaviour, or you develop self-harming or suicidal thoughts.
- You experience a decrease in sexual drive.
- You do not feel better even after four weeks of initiating treatment.
- You are a heart patient as this medicine can lead to sudden deaths in heart patients.
- You are on another class of antidepressants known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors. This combination can be deadly. Do not use Citopam within two weeks after stopping monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
- You are 65 years old, the chances of developing suicidal tendencies are even more. You have to be extra careful in such cases.
- You have a seizure disorder.
Mode of Action of Citopam 40 MG
How Does It Work?
Citopam 40 mg belongs to the class of medicines known as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, which mainly acts by preventing the taking back of serotonin (a chemical messenger in the brain which governs how a person feels and behaves) thereby making its action last longer and restore its balance. Serotonin, also sometimes called the "happy hormone", improves mood, takes care of anxiety and reduces tension. Your doctor generally begins with smaller doses and then gradually increases it....
Directions for Use of Citopam 40 MG
- Swallow Citopam 40 mg tablet with a glass of water. Do not break it or chew it.
- Take it with or without food.
- Take this tablet at the same time each day if you want to get maximum benefit.
- Do not increase or decrease the dose without consulting your doctor.
- Do not stop the treatment suddenly if you begin to feel better as this can produce withdrawal symptoms like restlessness, tiredness, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, sleep disturbances)
- Take the medicine in the morning or the daytime so that it does not disturb your sleep at night.
- Do not panic if you do not feel better in the beginning, as it generally takes some time, nearly 3 to 4 weeks, to feel better.
Interactions of Citopam 40 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Any medicine that increases serotonin levels must not be used with Citopam (as it also increases serotonin levels), which can lead to a life-threatening condition known as serotonin syndrome.
- The following is the list of medicines that increase serotonin levels:
- Sumatriptan (used in migraine)
- Almotriptan (used in migraine)
- Tricyclic antidepressants like Imipramine, Amitriptyline
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors like isocarboxazid, phenelzine, Selegiline
- Any medicine which affects heart rhythm like methadone, pimozide, chlorpromazine, etc., must be used with caution because Citopam also affects heart rhythm.
Interactions with food items
- Tyramine rich foods like cheese, beer must be avoided.
Storage and disposal of Citopam 40 MG
Store Citopam 40 mg tablet pack in an airtight container away from direct sunlight and moisture. Keep it out of the reach of children and pets. Do not use the medicine if the packaging has been damaged. Get a fresh one. Do not use the medication if the date of expiry has passed....
Dosage of Citopam 40 MG
Overdose symptoms are vomiting, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, and death. Rush the person immediately to a nearby hospital. Call the emergency helpline or the poison control helpline as early as possible....
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as early as possible. Do not try to double the dose to make up for the missed dose. Take the tablet at the same time each day to avoid missing the dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Citopam 40 mg tablet be used in liver disease?
A: Dose adjustment is necessary according to the extent of liver dysfunction.
Q: Can Citopam 40 mg tablet be used in kidney disease?
A: Dose adjustment needs to be considered according to the extent of kidney disease.
Q: Is Citopam 40 mg tablet habit forming?
A: Citopam is not habit-forming, but it can produce withdrawal effects after prolonged use.
Country of Origin
Expires on or After
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.