Cefixime is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of bacterial infections. It belongs to a group of antibiotics called Cephalosporins.
Uses of Cefixime
It is useful for a wide range of bacterial infections of the ear, nose, sinuses (such as sinusitis), urinary system (such as bladder and kidney infections), throat ( tonsillitis), chest and lungs (such as bronchitis, pneumonia).
Contraindications of Cefixime
When should one not use Cefixime
You are allergic to Cefixime, any other Cephalosporin antibiotics, including penicillin or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
Side effects of Cefixime
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Itching or skin rash
- Vaginal discharge
- Allergic reaction - rash, joint pain, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips. In such a case, immediately rush to hospital
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice), fatigue and loss of appetite suggesting Liver damage
- Worsening of diarrhea or bloody stools
- Less urination and swelling of legs suggesting kidney damage
- Fever, sore throat, bleeding gums
- Blistering or bleeding of the skin near the lips, eyes, mouth, nose and genitals. This is a serious condition called as 'Stevens-Johnson' syndrome
- Skin rash with a pink/red ring and a pale center which may be itchy, scaly, or filled with fluid. These may appear on palms or soles of your feet. These could be symptoms of a serious allergy to the medicine called 'Erythema Multiforme'read less
- Severe watery continuous diarrhea, along with fever. This may be something called 'Pseudomembranous Colitis'
Precautions and Warnings of Cefixime
Can I take Cefixime during pregnancy?
Cefixime should not be used in pregnancy unless considered essential by your physician.
Can I take Cefixime while breastfeeding?
It is unknown whether Cefixime passes into human milk. Consult with the doctor before taking Cefixime while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Cefixime?
This medicine can cause side effects like fits, confusion and feeling less alert. If you experience any of these, do not drive any vehicle or use machinery.
Can I consume alcohol with Cefixime?
No known interaction between alcohol and Cefixime.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have or had colitis
- If you have kidney disease
- Take this medicine only on your doctor’s prescription and complete the course of the medicine. Not completing the course or not continuing Cefixime as per doctor’s prescription can lead to the bacteria becoming resistant to this medicineread less
Mode of Action of Cefixime
How Does It Work?
Cefixime is an antibiotic. It controls the growth of bacteria and kills them.
Interactions of Cefixime
Interactions with other medicines
Inform your physician if you are taking any antacids like Cimetidine, Ranitidine, etc. because they decrease the absorption of the medicine, also if you are on medications for thinning of the blood such as Warfarin.
Interactions with food items
There are no negative interactions of Cefixime with food. It is advisable to take Cefixime along with meals or within half an hour of having a meal.
Dosage of Cefixime
Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea. If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, seek medical care immediately.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the regular dosage schedule. Do not take an extra dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Cefixime?
- Inform the doctor about your detailed medical & surgical history
- Inform your physician if you have any liver or kidney disease
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning a pregnancy
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- Cefixime should be taken in the exact dose as advised by the physician
- The liquid medicine should be measured in a measuring device and then consumed
- You must chew the Cefixime chewable tablet before swallowing
- Drink plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration
- It is advisable to take Cefixime along with meals or within half an hour of having a meal
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Cefixime
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved