Zestril 5mg Strip Of 7 Tablets
Zestril 5 MG Description
Zestril 5 mg tablet is a medication used for lowering high blood pressure. Managing high blood pressure (hypertension), heart failure, and acute myocardial infarction are the primary uses of Zestril
tablets. High blood pressure is a lifelong or chronic condition that requires long-term treatment. In acute myocardial infarction, this medicine reduces the size of damage to the heart. This tablet contains Lisinopril as its single main ingredient. The mode of action of Zestril tablets is to relax blood vessels which allow the blood to flow more smoothly and the heart to pump more blood efficiently. It also helps with the remodelling of the muscle of the heart and blood vessels. Even if you feel well, do not stop this medicine on your own because high blood pressure often has does not have symptoms. Follow your doctor’s directions for using Zestril tablets. Cough, flushing, headache, decreased blood pressure, weakness, and swelling are some common side effects of Zestril tablets. It may cause dizziness; avoid driving or rise slowly from sitting. The patient can be asked to regularly monitor blood pressure, blood sugar level, and kidney functioning during the treatment. Zestril tablets should be immediately stopped if the person gets pregnant, as they can lead to the death of the foetus.
|You Save||₹9.08 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||High blood pressure (hypertension), Acute myocardial infarction, Heart failure|
|Side effects||Cough, Dizziness, Low blood pressure, Excessive tiredness, Nausea, Diarrhoea, Weakness|
Uses of Zestril 5 MG
- As per CDSCO and USFDA, Zestril tablets are used in the following conditions:
- In the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) in adults and pediatric patients older than six years of age.
- In the management of heart failure, along with other medication.
- In the treatment of acute myocardial infarction (reduces the size of the infarction and improves the remodelling of ventricles in the heart).
Contraindications of Zestril 5 MG
- Zestril tablets is contraindicated in the following cases:
- If you have a known hypersensitive reaction to Lisinopril or any ingredient of Zestril tablet
- If you stopped using this medicine without consulting your doctor. It can result in changes in blood pressure, which can increase the risk of chest pain
- If you have very low blood pressure. Using this medicine can further lower blood pressure, which can be dangerous
- If you have a history of angioedema (swelling of blood vessels) caused due to previous use of similar medicines
- If you have angioedema due to a genetic disorder or an unknown condition
- If you are using different antihypertensive medications such as sacubitril or valsartan without consulting your doctor
- If you are currently expecting and are in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy
- If you want to give this tablet to a child younger than the age of 15 without consulting your doctor
- If you have a history of severe liver or kidney failure
- If you are using certain anti-diabetic medicine
Side effects of Zestril 5 MG
- Zestril tablets has the following side effects:
- Low blood pressure
- Excessive tiredness
Precautions and Warnings of Zestril 5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are using other medicines for lowering blood pressure.
- You have a history of low blood sugar levels (hypoglycaemia) or low blood pressure (hypotension).
- You were diagnosed with clinical depression.
- You have a previous history of heart failure.
- You have a serious liver or kidney disease, thyroid hormone disorder, tumour on the adrenal gland, or disorder with circulation (such as Raynaud’s syndrome).
Mode of Action of Zestril 5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Zestril 5 MG
- Use the Zestril tablets precisely as directed by your doctor
- Do not exceed the prescribed dosage, which can lead to side effects.
- Do not crush, break, or chew Zestril tablets.
- Swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water, as soon as it is opened.
- Take Zestril tablets before or after a meal.
- Do not use this medicine with other medication without asking your doctor first.
- Do not suddenly stop using Zestril tablets without informing your doctor.
Interactions of Zestril 5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Inform your doctor if you are using NSAID medicines such as acetaminophen, diclofenac, etc. along with Zestril tablets, as it greatly increases the risk of kidney problems as well as lowers the effectiveness of Zestril tablets, which can lead to high blood pressure. ...
- When a diuretic medication, anaesthetic medicines, tricyclic antidepressants, and antipsychotics are added to the treatment of a patient receiving Zestril tablets, the antihypertensive effect is usually increased, leading to low blood pressure....
- Using medicines that increase potassium levels, such as potassium supplements, potassium-sparing diuretics or potassium-containing salt substitutes, and other medicines with Zestril tablets, can cause palpitations, chest pain, diarrhoea, rhythm disorders, etc....
- Using lithium with Zestril tablets can increase the toxicity of lithium, which can be dangerous with various side effects like tremors, headache, nausea, vomitings, etc.
- When Zestril tablets with injectable gold can cause Nitritoid reactions causing dilation of blood vessels, causing flushing, nausea, dizziness, and low blood pressure, which can be very severe.
- Using Zestril tablets with antidiabetic medicines such as insulins, and oral hypoglycaemic medicines, may cause an increase in blood glucose levels and risk of low blood sugar.
Interactions with food items
- Zestril tablets can increase the levels of potassium in the blood. So, using salt substitutes or taking high-potassium foods may cause various problems. Try to avoid food with excess potassium such as bananas, oranges, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, and dark leafy greens...
Storage and disposal of Zestril 5 MG
Dosage of Zestril 5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop using Zestril 5 mg tablets if my blood pressure is under control?
Q: Are Zestril 5 mg tablets safe for children?
Q: Can I use Zestril 5 mg tablets if I have a liver or a kidney disorder?
- PRINIVIL® (lisinopril) tablets, for oral use. Initial U.S. Approval: 1987. [internet]. accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 3 Apr 2022]. Available from:
- Lisinopril: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 3 Apr 2022]. Available from:
- Lisinopril 5 mg Tablets [Internet]. Lisinopril 5 mg Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (EMC). [cited 3 Apr 2022]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 3 Apr 2022]. Available from:
- Lisinopril [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. U.S. National Library of Medicine; 2021 [cited 3 Apr 2022]. Available from: