Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
By PFIZER LTD
21 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
Ovral L tablet contains a combination of two medicines, Levonorgestrel and Ethinylestradiol. It is an oral contraceptive pill. It works by preventing the release of the egg and restricting the movement of the sperm in the womb. Thus, blocking its union with the egg. Take this medicine as prescribed and for the duration. The common side effects of Ovral L tablets are headache, nausea and breast pain. Mostly these side effects are temporary but if you feel the side effects persist you should contact your doctor immediately. Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, if you have any liver or pancreas problems or have cancer of the breast, uterus or vagina. Tell your doctor, if you are above 35 years or smoke and about all the medicines, herbs and supplements your take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from before starting this medicine.
Uses of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
Ovral L tablet used as oral contraceptive for women.
Contraindications of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
- If you are allergic to Levonorgestrel or Ethinylestradiol or any other ingredients of this medicine.
- If you have a history of any blood clot formation or bleeding disorder.
- If you have any problems with your heart like stroke, heart attack or chest pain.
- If you have or had a history of migraine attacks.
- If you had or have pancreas or liver problems.
- If you have diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol.
- If you have a history of vaginal bleeding (cause not established), absent periods for more than 3 months (amenorrhea).
- If you have or are suspected of having breast cancer or cancer of the genital organs (private parts).
- If you are taking treatment for Hepatitis C with a medicine that contains Ombitasvir/Paritaprevir/Ritonavir plus Dasabuvir.
Side effects of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
- Stomach pain
- Weight gain
- Skin allergies
- Mood swings
- Pain and tenderness of the breast
- Reduced sex drive
Precautions and Warnings of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
Can I take Ovral L tablet during pregnancy?
Ovral L tablet should not be used during pregnancy as it is used to stop or prevent pregnancy. When pregnancy is detected, this medicine should be discontinued immediately and should consult your doctor.
Can I take Ovral L tablet while breastfeeding?
Ovral L tablet should not be used during breastfeeding as it passes into breast milk and may harm the breastfed baby. Moreover, it may also lead to a reduction in the amount of milk produced and may affect its quality. You should consult your doctor before using this medicine during breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ovral L tablet?
It is not expected that Ovral L tablet will affect your ability to drive but if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert, you should avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Ovral L tablet?
The consumption of alcohol does not affect the efficacy of Ovral L tablet. These tablets can enhance the effects of alcohol and affect you adversely. Hence, it is best advised to avoid consuming alcohol while taking these tablets.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have a family history of breast cancer, diabetes, fits or other brain disorders.
- You have high blood pressure or cholesterol.
- You have a disease of the liver, gall bladder or inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis).
- You have a blood disease that damages the kidneys (hemolytic uremic syndrome).
- You have immune system disorder like systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- You have a history of pregnancy patches especially on the face (chloasma).
- You have a disease that first appeared during pregnancy like porphyria (an inherited haemoglobin defect), hearing loss, gestational herpes (vesicular skin rashes during pregnancy) and Sydenham's chorea (rapid, irregular movements of the body).read less
- You have a family history or previous history of serious allergic reactions causing swelling of face and throat, breathing difficulty skin rashes and blisters (hereditary angioedema).
- You should let the doctor or the laboratory person know that you are using this medicine while going for a lab test as this medicine may interfere with the lab tests.
Mode of Action of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
How Does It Work?
Ovral L tablet is an oestrogen-progestogen combination that works by preventing the release of the egg by the ovary, thickening vaginal secretions (blocking the sperm from reaching the egg) and thinning down the lining of the uterus. It helps in preventing the implantation of the egg if it is fertilized by any chance, thus preventing pregnancy.
Directions for Use of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
- Ovral L tablet should be swallowed as a whole, with a full glass of water. Do not break, cut or chew the medicine.
- You should take this medicine regularly, at the same time and without fail as directed by your doctor.
- You should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant use of Ovral L tablet along with medicines used to treat fits (Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, etc.), medicines used to treat HIV infection (Nevirapine, Ritonavir), anti-infectives (Penicillin, Griseofulvin etc.), medicines that increase the stomach and intestine problems (Metoclopramide) and herbal supplements like St.John's Wort (used to treat psychiatric illnesses), may alter the effects of Ovral L tablet.read less
- Concomitant use of this tablet along with some anti-seizure medications like Lamotrigine and immunosuppressants like Cyclosporine (used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, Crohn's disease) should be avoided.read less
- Concomitant use of this tablet with certain antiviral medicines may affect your liver enzymes. Thus, this tablet should be stopped and can be restarted 2 weeks after completing the treatment.
- Other medicines like Rifampicin and Carbamazepine should be used cautiously.
Storage and disposal of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
- Store Ovral L tablets below 25°C in a clean and dry place.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pets.
- Discard this medicine when it is expired or no longer needed.
Dosage of Ovral L Strip Of 21 Tablets
The symptoms of overdose are nausea, vomiting or withdrawal bleeding. If you experience any of the symptoms or think you have taken too much of Ovral L tablets, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
Missing a dose of Ovral L tablets may reduce the effectiveness of the treatment. If you missed any dose of medicine, take it as soon as you remember and continue with your regular dose schedule. You should also inform your doctor and seek further advice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How to take Ovral L tablets?
A: You should take Ovral L tablets in doses and duration as told by your doctor. You need to swallow it, with water and not chew, cut or break it. You need to take it regularly and at a fixed time.
Q: What does Ovral L tablet contain?
A: Ovral L tablet contains a combination of two medicines, Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel.
Q: Can I stop taking Ovral L tablets midway?
A: No, you should not stop taking Ovral L tablets midway, you must finish the full course of treatment. Stopping the medication can lead to treatment failure. You need to consult your doctor if you have any concern.
Q: What are the things I should avoid while taking Ovral L tablets?
- Do not stop taking Ovral L tablets on your own.
- Do not use combinations of hormonal contraceptives like pills, patches or rings all at one time. Stick to any one method.
- Be cautious if you are older than 35 years, overweight, have a family history of thrombosis or clot formation.
- Discuss with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, migraine or heart disease.
- Be watchful of your diet, weight gain and any metabolic disorders.
Q: Can I take Ovral L tablets for heavy periods?
A: No, Ovral L tablet is not meant for use in heavy periods.
Q: Does Ovral L tablet cause weight gain?
A: Yes, you may experience an increase in your weight after treatment with Ovral L tablet.
Q: What is withdrawal bleeding?
A: Withdrawal bleeding is the bleeding that occurs when a woman on hormonal contraception such as pills, patches or the vaginal ring suddenly stops using them. It is not the same as menstrual bleeding and is much lighter and of shorter duration than a normal menstrual period. However, not everyone gets this when they stop using contraceptive measures.
Q: What is the use of Ovral L tablets?
A: Ovral L tablets is an oral contraceptive pill and is used in preventing pregnancy.
Q: Is Ovral L tablet habit-forming?
A: No, Ovral L tablet is not habit-forming.
Q: Can I smoke while taking Ovral L tablet?
A: No, you should not smoke while on treatment with Ovral L tablets.
Last Updated on: 07 Oct 2020 | 05:30 AM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved