Fluconazole is used to treat various fungal infections such as candida infectio
n. It is also used to prevent the occurrence of fungal infections in cancer patients. It works by inhibiting the formation of the cell wall of the infection-causing fungus. Fluconazole belongs to the class of antifungal medicines. It is not effective against viruses or bacteria. It is available in the form of a tablet, capsule, dry syrup, suspension, oral powder, injection, cream, gel, lotion, dusting powder, soap, eye & ear drops. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting fluconazole.
Uses of Fluconazole
Contraindications of Fluconazole
When should one not use Fluconazole
- If you are allergic to fluconazole or similar medicines.
- If you are taking medicines like astemizole, terfenadine, cisapride, pimozide, quinidine, erythromycin, etc.
Side effects of Fluconazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Injection/Application site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Fluconazole
Other General Warnings
- You suffer from any heart, liver or kidney diseases
- You have severe skin reactions
- You have adrenal insufficiency (a condition where the adrenal gland does not produce sufficient steroid hormone).
- You have abnormal electrolyte levels (potassium, calcium or magnesium) in your blood.
Mode of Action of Fluconazole
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Fluconazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way fluconazole works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicines like terfenadine, voriconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, ranolazine, lomitapide, donepezil, pimozide, quinidine, blood thinners, painkillers or you are taking medicines to treat your psychotic disorders, heart problems, fits, cancer, diabetes, asthma, medicines used to prevent organ transplant rejection, medicines used to reduce high cholesterol levels, etc....
- The effect of contraceptive pills might be reduced. The addition of a barrier form of contraception is needed.
Dr. Nikita Toshi
BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery)
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is Fluconazole available?
Q: Can Fluconazole be used for viral or bacterial infections?
- Diflucan 150 Capsules - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 17 November 2021]
- DIFLUCAN Tablets/Oral Suspension USP [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2021 [cited 17 November 2021]
- Diflucan 150 Capsules - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 17 November 2021]