Medrol 4mg Tablet
By PFIZER LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
Medrol 4mg Tablet contains Methylprednisolone. It is a corticosteroid that belongs to a class of steroid medicines.
Uses of Medrol 4mg Tablet
- For various allergic ailments like asthma, skin allergies, and lung-related problems
- For relieving pain and swelling of joints in arthritis, gout, spondylitis, and bursitis
- As an anti-inflammatory agent for treating inflammation and swelling in different parts of the body
- For the treatment of various autoimmune disorders related to muscle, skin, lungs, blood formation, intestine, gut, and joints
- For a certain type of cancers like blood cancer and cancer-associated with the lymphatic system
- During surgeries, injuries, trauma, and transplants to modify the immune response
- To boost steroid levels when the body is not making enough natural steroid hormone on its own
Contraindications of Medrol 4mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to this medicine, steroids or any other components of this medicine
- If you have any severe fungal infection, such as infection of lungs, throat or food pipe
- If you have any other infection and you are not taking any antibiotics or antiviral medicine to treat that infection
- If you recently had or have an upcoming vaccination schedule
Side effects of Medrol 4mg Tablet
- Increased susceptibility for infections
- Bloating and increased water retention in the body
- Mood disorders
- A rise in blood pressure
- Bleeding stomach ulcers
- Muscle weakness and delayed growth in children
- Eye disorders like cataract
- Thinning of skin and acne
- Delayed wound healing
Precautions and Warnings of Medrol 4mg Tablet
Can I take Medrol 4mg Tablet during pregnancy?
Pregnant women should not take Medrol 4mg tablet as it can lead to low birth-weight, abnormal growth, and abnormal brain development in the growing foetus. Cases of cataracts have been observed in babies born to mothers taking these steroids for the long term. Thus, unless your doctor feels that the benefits of taking it outweigh the risks, a pregnant woman should not take this medicine.
Can I take Medrol 4mg Tablet while breastfeeding?
The components of Medrol 4mg tablet may pass into breast milk in small amounts. Thus, the use of this medicine is not recommended in breastfeeding mothers unless prescribed by a physician.
Can I drive if I have consumed Medrol 4mg Tablet?
Medrol 4mg tablet can make you feel dizzy, fatigued, and may also affect your vision. Therefore, you should avoid driving if you experience any of these symptoms.
Can I consume alcohol with Medrol 4mg Tablet?
Although interaction of Medrol 4mg tablet with alcohol is not known, it is advisable to consult your physician before drinking.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Medrol 4 mg tablet can make you more prone for infections, in case you already have an infection like a fungal infection, you have measles or chickenpox, or you are taking medicines to suppress the immune response, It is advisable to discuss your condition with a doctor.read less
- You experience any skin allergies and rise in blood sugar levels or you are diabetic
- You are experiencing mood disturbances, fits and other psychiatric problems including suicidal thoughts
- You are experiencing visual disturbances and eye infections. Upon long term use, there is a probability that you may develop a cataract
- You are elderly, you have a heart problem, high blood pressure, and cholesterol, blood clotting problems, liver and kidney diseases
- It can impair the fertility of an individual
- Medrol 4 mg tablet may cause inflammation and swelling in different parts of your gut like stomach, pancreas and can also cause ulcers.
- Children and adolescents receiving steroids should be observed for growth abnormalities as steroids can retard the growth .
Mode of Action of Medrol 4mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Methylprednisolone is a man-made steroid. Steroids are hormones produced in the human body and responsible for normal body functions. It acts by suppressing the immune response in allergies and inflammation and during organ transplantation. It can also delay the progress of leukaemia (Blood cancer) and is critical in the maintenance of normal body functions during stress.
Directions for Use of Medrol 4mg Tablet
Take Medrol 4 mg tablet with water, preferably after meals as prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Medrol 4mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- You may require a stronger dose of Medrol 4 mg tablet in case you are taking anti-tubercular medicines like Rifampicin, antibiotics like rifabutin, medicines to treat fits like Phenobarbital and Phenytoin.read less
- Concomitant use of antibiotic medicine like Troleandomycin & Isoniazid, blood pressure medicine like Mibefradil and ulcer medicine like Cimetidine can lead to steroid toxicity.
- If you are taking medicines such as Carbamazepine used to treat fits, medicine like Aprepitant to stop vomiting, antifungal medicines like Itraconazole, medicines used to treat blood pressure and angina like Diltiazem, oral contraceptive medicines like Ethinyl estradiol and Norethindrone, antibiotics like Erythromycin and Clarithromycin, immunosuppressants like Ciclosporin and Tacrolimus, you are more likely to experience side effects of either of the medicine.read less
- There is an increased risk of stomach bleeding if you are taking painkillers or aspirin along with Medrol 4 mg tablet.
- Medicines used to treat muscle disorders (myasthenia gravis) such as Distigmine, Neostigmine, and Pancuronium, if taken along, can lead to muscle weakness.
- It would help if you were cautious while taking any anti-diabetic medicine, medicines to stop blood clotting, a water pill, and aminoglutethimide
Interactions with food items
Grapefruit Juice should be avoided while taking Medrol 4 mg tablet.
Storage and disposal of Medrol 4mg Tablet
- Store Medrol 4mg tablets at room temperature and away from sunlight, heat, and moisture.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets
- It should be kept in the packaging provided
Dosage of Medrol 4mg Tablet
Taking more than the prescribed dose can cause side effects, which can become severe over time. You must seek immediate medical assistance in case you take excess of Medrol 4 mg tablet.
Missed a Dose
The missed dose should be taken immediately as soon as you remember. If its already time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and follow the normal medicine schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I inform my healthcare advisor before taking Medrol Tablet?
A: It is important to inform your healthcare advisor about your complete medical & surgical history, especially if you have any diseases like bleeding anomalies, fungal infections, kidney ailments, or liver diseases.
Q: Can I stop taking Medrol Tablet on my own?
A: No, steroids therapy should not be stopped abruptly, your doctor will gradually reduce your dose before completely withdrawing this therapy.
Q: Can I take vaccine if I am taking Medrol Tablet?
A: Medrol can reduce the effectiveness of some vaccines. Hence, it is best to consult your doctor before doing so.
Q: Is this Medrol Tablet safe for children?
A: Medrol tablet should only be given to children if it is medically prescribed and in the exact dose as prescribed under adult supervision.
Other Variants for
Medrol 4mg Tablet
Last Updated on: 30 Aug 2020 | 05:30 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved