Losacar 50mg Tablet
By ZYDUS CADILA HEALTHCARE LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
10 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
The generic medicine in the composition of Losacar 50mg Tab is losartan. It works by lowering the high blood pressure. This medication comes under the class of angiotensin II receptor antagonists (ARAs).
Uses of Losacar 50mg Tab
- High blood pressure
- Chronic heart failure (the heart cannot pump enough blood to ensure an adequate supply of oxygen)
- Kidney disease associated with diabetes (diabetic nephropathy)
- Myocardial infarction (inadequate provision of oxygen in the heart, commonly referred as heart attack)
Contraindications of Losacar 50mg Tab
- Allergic reaction to this medicine or any product components
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Liver or kidney disease
- Renal aortic stenosis (arteries that carry blood to one or both the kidneys are narrowed)
Side effects of Losacar 50mg Tab
- Headache, dizziness, vertigo and fatigue
- Blood pressure drops too low
- Hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar levels)
- Hyperkalaemia (increased potassium levels)
- Anaemia (less number of red blood cells)
- Deranged kidney function
- Serious allergic reactions such as rash, swelling of face, lips and throat. Seek emergent care in case that happens
- Rhabdomyolysis is a skeletal muscle injury caused due to the breakdown of muscles. Report to the doctor if you experience muscle ache, lethargy accompanied by fever after taking this medicine
Precautions and Warnings of Losacar 50mg Tab
Can I take Losacar 50mg Tab during pregnancy?
You are advised to avoid pregnancy while on this medication. If pregnancy is detected during its administration period, discontinue as soon as possible as it may cause injury or death to the developing foetus. This medicine is harmful to be used during pregnancy.
Can I take Losacar 50mg Tab while breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding women should forego the use of this medicine. Consult your physician to help you find a safe and effective alternative.
Can I drive if I have consumed this medicine?
This medication does not hamper your ability to drive. If you experience dizziness and drowsiness after taking this medicine, you must not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with this medicine?
Alcohol intake can lead to a drop in blood pressure. Also, it can increase the effects sedation or drowsiness. Hence, you must reduce or quit alcohol intake during the administration of this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You were previously diagnosed with swelling of the face, lips, throat and tongue (angioedema)
- You had a recent kidney transplant surgery due to the blockage of arteries in your kidneys
- You are diagnosed with heart failure regardless of your renal impairment or severe life- threatening cardiac arrhythmia
- You have high blood pressure
- You had kidney disease associated with diabetes
Mode of Action of Losacar 50mg Tab
How Does It Work?
Angiotensin II (AT II) is a substance that is formed after undergoing conversion in the body, thereby causing constriction of the blood vessels. The composition of Losacar 50mg Tab inhibits the binding of AT II to its receptors; thus, relaxing the blood vessels and reducing the blood pressure.
Directions for Use of Losacar 50mg Tab
Take the dosage of Losacar 50mg Tab with or without food every day at the same time. Swallow this tablet wholly with water.
Interactions of Losacar 50mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Aspirin and NSAIDs reduces the action of this medicine
- Concomitant use of ACE inhibitors (ramipril, enalapril, etc.), azathioprine, lithium and aliskiren should be avoided while using this medicine
- Diuretics (furosemide, spironolactone) interact with this medicine and affect the potassium levels in the body
Interactions with food items
A low-fat diet would be extremely beneficial in keeping you healthy. Also, you need to refrain the use of high-potassium foods, supplement or fruits while takin this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Losacar 50mg Tab
The tablets need to kept in a closed container at ambient temperature with protection from sunlight, heat and moisture. Standard waste management procedures must be followed for the correct disposal of this medicine.
Dosage of Losacar 50mg Tab
The symptoms of an overdose of Losacar 50mg Tab are extremely low blood pressure, increased heart rate, high levels of potassium in the body, loss of consciousness, dizziness and kidney failure. You need to quickly report an overdose at the nearest medical centre.
Missed a Dose
The missed dose must be administered as you recall it. If the time for the upcoming dose is near, then do not take the missed dose and continue the regular schedule of doses. Do not take multiple doses to atone up for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is the onset of action of this medication?
A: The peak effect of this medicine could be observed in one to one and a half hours.
Q: How long is the duration of effect of this medication?
A: The effect of this medication lasts for approximately 24 hours.
Q: How long do I need to take this medication?
A: You may be required to take the dosage of Losacar 50mg Tab for a long period of time based on your condition (as decided by the doctor). It only controls your symptoms and does not cure it. Do not stop taking this medicine unless you have consulted with your doctor.
Q: What should I inform my physician before the treatment is initiated?
A: Your physician must be apprised about your past medical/surgical history or any ongoing medications for chronic diseases. Inform them about any herbal products, vitamin or protein supplements that you are consuming. If you are consuming oral hypoglycaemic agents or insulin, track our blood pressure on the first month of use of this medicine. Concomitant administration of this medicine with antidiabetics can significantly affect your blood sugar levels.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). Cozaar 25 mg film-coated tablets.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Losartan.
- DailyMed. Label: losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide – losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide tablets tablet, film coated.
- Medscape. Losartan (Rx)
- Mayo Clinic. Losartan (oral route).
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 01:45 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on all medicines + Myntra voucher worth Rs.250
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved