Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15's
By SUN PHARMA
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
1 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Istamet Tablet is a combination medicine containing sitagliptin and metformin. It is used along with a healthy diet and regular exercise for the control of high blood sugar in patients having type 2 Diabetes mellitus. Treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus lowers the risk of heart disease, kidney disease, stroke, blindness and loss of limbs. Sitagliptin works by increasing insulin production by the body after a meal and decreasing sugar production by the body. Metformin works by restoring the natural response of the body to insulin and decreasing sugar production by the body. Nausea or vomiting, flatulence, loose motion or constipation, pain in the stomach are some of the side effects of Istamet.
Uses of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
It is used for the control of high blood sugar in patients having type 2 Diabetes mellitus along with a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Contraindications of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
- If you are allergic to sitagliptin, metformin or any other ingredients of Istamet Tablet.
- If you have severe kidney or liver disease.
- If your diabetes is not under control and you also have high blood sugar, nausea, vomiting, loose motions, rapid loss of weight, pain in the stomach, breathing difficulty, sleepiness etc.
- If you have dehydration or you have the presence of severe infection.
- If you have to go to do an x-ray or scan and dye is injected in your blood before doing the x-ray or scan.
- If you have a recent history of a heart attack.
- If you are a heavy alcohol drinker.
- If you are a lactating mother.
Side effects of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
- Metallic taste
- Loose motion
- Stomach pain
- Loss of appetite
Precautions and Warnings of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
Can I take Istamet Tablet during pregnancy?
Component of this medicine can cause harm to the unborn baby if taken during pregnancy. This medicine should not be taken by pregnant women.
Can I take Istamet Tablet while breastfeeding?
Component of this medicine can pass through breastmilk and can cause harm to the breastfed baby if taken by lactating mother. This medicine should not be taken by lactating mother.
Can I drive if I have consumed Istamet Tablet?
This medicine can cause dizziness or sleepiness. Avoid driving if you have dizziness or sleepiness after taking this medicine.
Can I consume alcohol with Istamet Tablet?
Consumption of alcohol along with this medicine can cause a medical condition called ' lactic acidosis' which can cause vomiting, pain in the stomach, breathing difficulty, tiredness, muscle cramps, decrease body temperature, decrease heartbeat. Avoid alcohol consumption while on this medicine.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have skin blister after taking this medicine.
- You have a fever, vomiting, loose motion, heat exposure, less fluid intake.
- You have vomiting, pain in the stomach, breathing difficulty, tiredness, muscle cramps, decrease body temperature, decrease heartbeat after taking this medicine.
- You have low blood sugar after taking other anti-diabetic medicines along with this medicine.
- You have type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- You are undergoing any surgery.
- Your doctor tells you that you have increase triglyceride level in your blood and you have gall stones.
Mode of Action of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
How Does It Work?
Sitagliptin works by increasing insulin production by the body after a meal and decreasing sugar production by the body. Metformin works by restoring the natural response of the body to insulin and decreasing sugar production by the body.
Directions for Use of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
- Take this medicine with food as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not stop taking Istamet on your own, without informing your doctor.
Interactions of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Istamet Tablet works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking other antidiabetic medicines.
Storage and disposal of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
- Store this medicine at a temperature not above 30°C in a cool and dry place.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Istamet 50/500mg Tablet 15'S
Symptoms of overdose include severe nausea or vomiting, pain in the stomach, muscle cramps, rapid breathing. If you have taken too much of this medicine then contact your doctor or reach out to the nearest hospital immediately.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed taking any dose of this medicine then take it as soon as you remember. If it's already time for the next dose then skip the missed dose and follow the regular dosing schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Why Istamet Tablet need to be taken with food?
A: Istamet Tablet should be taken with food to avoid stomach upset if taken on an empty stomach. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor.
Q: Can I take crushed Istamet Tablet?
A: Istamet whole or split tablet should be taken with food as prescribed by your doctor and should not be crushed or chewed as doing so will release all of the medicine at once and can cause side effects of this medicine.
Q: Does Istamet Tablet cause low blood sugar?
A: Istamet Tablet usually does not cause low blood sugar. It can cause low blood sugar if taken along with other antidiabetic medicines if you are taking low-calorie food or doing heavy exercise. Symptoms of low blood sugar include blurring of vision, sudden sweating, shaking, increased heartbeat, hunger, dizziness, or tingling sensation in your hands or feet. Consult your doctor if you have low blood sugar while taking this medicine.
Q: What precaution should I take if I have low blood sugar after taking Istamet Tablet with other anti-diabetic medicines?
- If you have low blood sugar after taking Istamet Tablet with other anti-diabetic medicines, you should eat sugar, honey, or candy, or drink fruit juice or non-diet soda to increase your blood sugar rapidly.read less
- Consult your doctor immediately if you have blurring of vision, sudden sweating, shaking, increased heartbeat, hunger, dizziness etc after taking this medicine or other anti-diabetic medicines.
Last Updated on: 03 Apr 2021 | 10:52 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on all medicines + Myntra voucher worth Rs.250
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved