Ofloxacin is an antibiotic that fights various bacterial infections.
Uses of Ofloxacin
- Urinary tract infection
- Skin infections
- Infection of stomach and intestine
- Respiratory infections
- Male and female genital organs infections
- Infection due to micro organism called chlamydia or gonorrhea
Contraindications of Ofloxacin
When should one not use Ofloxacin
- If you are allergic to ofloxacin or other medicines similar to it like ofloxacin or norfloxacin. Allergic reaction include rash, difficulty in breathing , swelling of your lips, face, throat or tongue
- If you have epilepsy or fits
- If you have problems related to tendon like inflammation and swelling of the tendons (tendonitis)
- If you are pregnant or are planning to have a baby or breastfeeding
- If your age is less than 18 years
- If you have glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (an inherited disorder that affects red blood cells) or a family history of this deficiency
Side effects of Ofloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like- fever, chills, rash, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling over your face, lips, throat-immediately see your doctor
- Serious permanent tendon and nerve damage which may manifest as pain, numbness, tingling, weakness, burning, altered sensations, tremors, snapping or popping sound in your joints
- Signs of increased pressure in the skull- vision changes, pain behind your eyes, ringing in your ears, headache. Liver problem- Diarrhea, nausea, upper abdominal pain, yellow discoloration of eyes, nails, skin, dark urine, clay colored stoolRead less
- Fainting, slow or fast breathing, fast heart beats, headache, and chest pain
- Mucus or bloody diarrhea, with stomach cramps or pain. (Do not take any anti diarrhea drug to stop this. Inform your doctor immediately)
- Sore skin, easy bruising, bleeding, sunburn, purple rash on skin causing ulceration and bleeding
- Altered mood, behavioral changes, depression, hallucination, paranoia, tremors, insomnia, and nightmares.
Precautions and Warnings of Ofloxacin
Can I take Ofloxacin during pregnancy?
Do not take ofloxacin if you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby. If you conceive while taking ofloxacin, stop taking it immediately and inform your doctor.
Can I take Ofloxacin while breastfeeding?
- Ofloxacin can pass into the breast milk and harm the child. Hence do not breast feed while you are on this medicine treatment.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ofloxacin?
You may have sleepiness or dizziness when you are taking ofloxacin. In such a case, do not drive or use any tools or machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Ofloxacin?
You should not drink alcohol while taking ofloxacin as you may feel dizzy or sleepy.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Mental illness
- Lliver or kidney disease
- Myasthenia gravis-illness with excessive muscle weakness
- You are diabetic or suffer from low blood sugar
- Heart problems
- You have to be cautious while taking ofloxacin if you have
- You have or your family history is positive for prolonged QT interval (seen on ECG)
- Have salt imbalance in the blood
- Have a very slow heart rhythm (called ‘bradycardia’), have a weak heart (heart failure)
- Have a history of heart attack (myocardial infarction), you are female or elderly or you are taking other medicines that result in abnormal ECG changes (see section on interactions with other medicines).Read less
- If your eyesight becomes impaired consult an eye specialist immediately.
- If you experience a skin rash or allergic reaction, or
- have severe diarrhoea, (which may be bloody) with stomach pain and fever, or
- notice pain, tenderness, or restricted movement of the tendons, or
- notice numbness or tingling in the hands and feet.
Mode of Action of Ofloxacin
How Does It Work?
Ofloxacin belongs to the group of fluoroquinolones. It prevents bacterial growth. It does not help in viral infections.
Interactions of Ofloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Tell your doctor if you are taking the following medicine:
- Antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, gemifloxacin, norfloxacin, moxifloxacin ( more chances of side effects)
- Heart rhythm drugs- amiodarone, quinidine, sotalol etc
- Blood thinners- warfarin, jantoven,Coumadin
- NSAIDs- diclofenac, indomethacin, aspirin, naproxen etc
- Medicines used to treat depression and psychological conditions
- Products that contain calcium, aluminium, zinc, magnesium
Interactions with food items
It has interactions with dairy products. Take the drug two hours prior or after any dairy product.
Dosage of Ofloxacin
Call your doctor immediately if you overdose. Overdose may cause extreme dizziness, confusion or fits.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If the missed dose falls at the time of you next scheduled dose then skip it. Do not take an extra dose more than prescribe to make up for it. Avoid skipping doses as this may increase you risk of developing infection that may be resistant to antibiotics. Complete the course of antibiotic for as many days as prescribed by your physician.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Q1. What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking ofloxacin?
- You must inform your doctor if you are suffering from any heart, kidney, liver diseases
- If you have myasthenia gravis
- If you suffer from diabetes
- If you have any joint, muscle, tendon problem
- If you have any nerve disorder( peripheral neuropathy)
- If you are taking any blood thinners (warfarin or coumarin)
- If you have history of convulsions
- If there is a family history or personal history of long QT syndrome
- Heart rhythm disorders or slow heartbeats
- Low level of potassium in the blood
- If you have an allergy to ofloxicin or any other drug
- Ofloxacin can interact with other drugs hence inform your doctor if you are taking any other medicines especially supplements or herbs. Also inform your physician if you are stopping any medicine.
Q: Q2. What should I remember while taking ofloxacin?
- Do not take any medicine to stop the diarrhea if you develop watery or bloody diarrhea while taking ofloxacin. Stop the medicine and inform your doctor immediately.
- Avoid going out in the sun. Wear a protective covering or use a sunscreen (SPF 30 or 40) to prevent sunburn. Inform your doctor if you experience redness, itching, rash, swelling after exposure to sun.Read less
- Avoid activities like driving, using heavy machineries while you are taking this drug as it can make you feel dizzy.
- Avoid taking the following drugs two hours before or after ofloxacin: didanosine, supplements and antacids that contain calcium, aluminium, iron, zinc, magnesium, milk of magnesia, ulcer medicine sucralfate etc.Read less
- Avoid live vaccines (like typhoid vaccine) as their effectiveness may be hampered.
Q: Q3. When and how to consume the medicine?
- You must take the medicine exactly the way it is prescribed by the physician. Follow the instructions of your doctor and those mentioned on the prescription label.
- Do not alter the dose unless recommended by your doctor. Do not take it longer or shorter than advised. Using the drug when not required or if stopped unless advised can make the infection resistant to the antibiotic.Read less
- Take the medicine with or without food as advised by you physician
- Maintain the time interval between two doses
- Drink plenty of fluids while you are taking this drug unless advised otherwise by your physician
- For better efficacy take the drug two hours before or after dairy products and those drugs or supplements that make it less effective.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Covaxin vs Covishield – A Detailed Comparison
The second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination drive has already begun in India, and many people are still unaware of how the two vaccines – Covaxin and Covishield – are different from each other. The second phase began on March 1, in which people over the age of 60 and those above 45 with associated
A Real Story Of The First COVID Vaccine Experience
Since May 1st, 2021, the Government of India opened up vaccines for those between the ages of 18 and 44. From that day onwards, anyone 18+ who was not already vaccinated could get themselves registered on the Cowin website to set up an appointment for getting vaccinated. However, due to shortages in the supply of
Things You Must Know About COVID-19 Treatment
Every sneeze, cough or fever does not mean you have COVID-19. With the current scenario of rising COVID-19 cases, it is natural to feel worried about its many symptoms and how it is treated. Many COVID-19 cases can be treated at home but a few require hospitalisation and further treatment. Let’s understand more about coronavirus
How To Read Your Reports For COVID-Related Tests?
Given the current scenario, where several kinds of diagnostic tests are being conducted to check the status of a COVID positive person, these tests are not to be done in all. Your doctor shall advise you only if he/she feels the need for doing them. These tests are best interpreted by a doctor. However, here
Mumbai Residents Can Get Home Sample Collection For COVID RT-PCR Test!
By now we have all heard of the COVID-19 RT-PCR test. The second wave of COVID has struck and this time more people are contracting it than during the last year. Mumbai has witnessed one of the highest infection rates in the country. That is why people of the city need to save the information
The List Of Walk-in COVID Sample Collection Centres In Mumbai And Delhi That You’ve Been Looking For!
We are in the midst of the second wave of COVID-19 and thousands of people are getting infected every day. Naturally, people are worried and stressed. In this circumstance, here’s something for Mumbaikers and Delhiites to help prepare for dealing with a COVID-19 infection in the family.The first thing you need to know is where
What Is The 6-Minute Walk Test For COVID-19?
By now we all know that with a coronavirus infection, it is important to monitor blood oxygen saturation level. That is why doctors suggest that every household should keep an oximeter. Whether you have a case of confirmed COVID-19 or you think you have been exposed, it is vital to keep an eye on your
Simple Hair Care Tips For Every Hair Type
Hair is an important expression of who you are, it is your crowning glory. Healthy hair signifies youth, health, strength, and vitality. Genetics plays an important role in determining your hair texture and thickness, however, your diet, lifestyle, environmental factors, and overall approach to hair care are also important to maintain your hair. Following are
How Can We Survive The Second Wave Of COVID-19?
By now we are all aware that the 2nd wave of COVID-19 has arrived. According to the latest coronavirus news, several states have imposed renewed COVID restrictions and vaccination has been liberalized and accelerated so that more people can get the COVID vaccine as soon as possible. The surge in COVID-19 cases in India has
What Should You Do If You Develop COVID-19 Symptoms?
Just when we thought the worst part of the pandemic was over, the second coronavirus wave hit us. Every day multiple lakhs of COVID cases in India are being reported. The new COVID-19 strains that have triggered the second wave are very infectious and one infected person can spread the disease to many other individuals.
How To Decide If A COVID Patient Needs Hospitalization?
India is in the grips of the second wave of COVID-19. There has been a steady upsurge in the number of COVID cases in India since February 2021. And of late, India has been registering more COVID-19 positive results than last year. Naturally, people are scared. But at a time of crisis, there are two
Oxygen Concentrators – How Are They Helping The COVID-19 Patients?
As India is grappling with the Coronavirus pandemic, people are running from pillar to post to arrange hospital and ICU beds, life-saving medications, ventilators and most importantly ‘oxygen’, to save their loved ones. Arranging these basic necessities is so tough today because the availability of all these things is way less than what the country
Unable To Get COVID-19 Medication Prescribed By Your Doctor? Here Are Some Alternates.
The second wave of coronavirus has hit us harder than the first wave. This time around, the new strain of COVID-19 is much more infectious and spreading faster. It is best suggested to seek medical advice from a doctor as soon as you develop the first symptom. Do not wait for your reports to arrive,
Fight Against COVID: Helpline & Guide For Mumbai District
With the current death toll in Maharashtra having crossed 61,000, and the existing cases of COVID-19 in the state being more than 40 lakhs, the entire state has declared a ‘Break-the-chain’ initiative. Let’s take a look at some of the key points of contact for the people of Mumbai during these dire times. Hospitals The
PharmEasy Launches COVID-19 Vaccination Registration Drive
The second wave of COVID-19 has gripped the country and we all need to come together in order to put the pandemic behind us. The best contribution we can all make together in these trying times is to get everyone vaccinated as soon as possible. The Government of India has invited the participation of private
10 Health Benefits of Giloy – The Ultimate Immunity Booster
It’s time again to find a wave of peace in natural medicine to heal yourself. Based on many studies, Ayurveda treatment is considered the best natural form of healing in India and all over the world. In Ayurveda, Giloy is considered one of the best medicine to treat various fevers and other conditions. Giloy
COVID-19 Vaccination Phase 3 Open for 18 Years+ From May 1
In the face of rising COVID cases and the second wave of the pandemic, it was announced that all adults in India, above 18 years of age, will now be able to receive the COVID vaccine. This coronavirus vaccine update has been welcomed by both the healthcare industry as well as the common people. Once
Donating Plasma: Here’s Everything You Need To Know!
Plasma therapy has for quite some time been considered an effective form of treatment for COVID. We have all heard of cops, celebrities and everyday people donating or volunteering to donate plasma to help India in its fight against COVID. Want to know more about what plasma therapy is and how you can help? Read
Sputnik V Gets Emergency Use Approval In India
The new COVID-19 strain has derailed the Indian healthcare infrastructure in no time, and our country, which was donating vaccines to the neighbouring nations a few weeks ago, is facing a shortage of the life-saving shots and almost every other facility required to fight this pandemic. In a huge relief to the people, the Drug
What Are Intranasal Vaccines All About?
India has been vaccinating lakhs of people since March. Very soon, vaccines will be available for everyone, irrespective of age groups or comorbidities. This brings us to hope at a time when COVID has reared its ugly head again. What comes as a piece of even more interesting news is that a new kind of
7 Easy Home Remedies For Knee Joint Pain
Knee pain has become a part of life for many people because it never goes. This pain can start at any age. However, usually, it is more as you age. Whether it is due to an injury or some underlying medical condition, knee pain can interfere with your daily activities. The debilitating pain may last
7 Health Benefits Of Lunges
Not sure if anyone likes leg day at the gym. However, the pain caused by the leg day can be satisfying for many. Lunges are not particularly leg exercises, but it is related to whole lower body workup. Lunges are a powerful exercise, allowing you to shape and strengthen almost every muscle in the lower
Why Are Incidents Of False COVID Negatives On the Rise?
Everyone today is aware of the symptoms of COVID. Hence, at the first sign of cough, fever, sore throat, diarrhoea and body ache, people ask their doctors if they should get tested for COVID. Until the results arrive, it is natural to be in a state of anxiety. But once the report is delivered and
Delicious Blackberries And Their Health Benefits
Eat a handful of berries, and you will get a burst of sweetness in your mouth. This pandemic taught us the importance of berries since they are a rich source of vitamin C that ultimately boosts our immunity. Out of other berries, blackberries are one of the versatile berries with a lot of nutrients. In
8 Simple Skin Care Tips for Men
Skincare and Indian men, do not go hand in hand! But, it is the time we speak about it. Men’s skin also requires love and care and proper nutrition to keep glowing and healthy. If just shaving and washing your face with soap has been your daily habit, then it’s time to change your skincare
8 Nutritious Health Benefits of Sweet Lime
Whether you are enjoying the pulp while chewing slowly, or want to swallow a glass of yellow-green juice, Mosambi can’t get rid of the fatigue caused by sweat. Sweet limes are known for their high vitamin C content, which provides the perfect flavor for many recipes. It is a multi-purpose summer fruit that will instantly
5 Best Ragi Recipes For Weight Loss
Ragi is the food of choice when you want to start a proper diet for weight loss. We always heard that Ragi benefits from weight loss, but do we know what it is and how it works? Ragi is a cereal known as finger millet and scientifically known as Eleusine coracana. It is an annually
10 Foods To Reduce Body Heat Naturally
During summers, when the mercury level rises the scorching heat, can drain us completely. If we ignore this, our bodies will be at greater risk. In the summer, many of us feel dehydrated and lack energy, which is another sign that we have been smashed by heat. In summer, we need to take care of
5 Home Remedies For Freckles & Clear Skin
Everyone wants clean and clear skin without a single spot. Unfortunately, many of us are not have the luck to achieve clear skin naturally. We have acne, scars, rashes, and whatnot on our skin, and we are chasing them daily. Freckles also, just like acne aren’t easy to get rid of if you don’t like
Best Home Remedies For Low Blood Pressure
Blood pressure (BP) disorders are common, whether it is high or low. Everyone knows about hypertension or high blood pressure. Hypertension is a much-talked topic, and people are aware of its symptoms, but not many know about low blood pressure. Blood pressure is defined as the force of your blood pushing against the walls of
8 Health Benefits Of Drinking Water Daily, Backed By Science
Water is a critical nutrient for our body to function efficiently. Every cell of our system needs water. It is crucial for the digestive system, heart, lungs. Water is a colorless and flavorless liquid composed of hydrogen and oxygen. Drinking enough water to stay hydrated is the first rule of health and nutrition. Did you
10 Home Remedies For Typhoid!
Typhoid fever is a bacterial infection caused by contaminated water or food. It affects the intestinal tract and then spreads to the bloodstream. It is also known as “intestinal fever” as it mainly affects our intestines. It is caused by the bacteria called Salmonella typhi. Poor hygienic conditions, unsafe drinking water, and contaminated food are
11 Simple Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dandruff!
Those pesky white flakes on a smart black dress can put off anybody! Dandruff is a small but highly niggling problem that can spoil a happy occasion in a matter of minutes. Caused by the fungus Malassezia, Dandruff is a result of a dry and itchy scalp in men and women. While many amongst us
PharmEasy Health Report: How COVID-19 Has Changed India?
The PharmEasy Health Report for FY 2020-21 provides information on the key trends with respect to people’s health during the COVID-19 pandemic. The need to stay healthy is now important more than ever! Here’s how people have been taking care of themselves and changed their daily habits to lower health risks and adapt to the
7 Beauty Benefits of Using Ice Cubes On The Skin
You can say the application of ice cubes over the skin is a famous home remedy for beautiful skin. It is not a new technique for us, and we have been using this for a long. Summer can be terrible for your skin due to hot weather and heavy sweating. Ice cubes are beneficial for
Magical Health Benefits Of Virgin Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the versatile oil of all others. We all know its excellent benefits for treating hair and skin issues. It is also known as a ‘lifeline of health’ due to its versatile benefits and uses. These days there is a surge in people becoming fans of coconut oil. Coconut oil comes
Why Is There A Rise in COVID-19 Cases Amidst The Vaccination Drive?
Right when India was starting to smell victory against the deadly COVID-19 disease, the virus has struck back with a new strain, which in a way has derailed the ambitious vaccination drive of the Indian government. The virus has restarted spreading its wings across India, and this time, the victims and culprits (spreaders of the
Acidity Problems? 14 Home Remedies That Can Help
Acid Reflux, commonly known as Acidity is a condition in which bile or stomach acids flow back into our oesophagus or food pipe and cause irritation. This results in a burning sensation in our chest which is the commonest symptom of acidity. Symptoms of Acidity Are: Pain and burning sensation in the chest, stomach or
10 Incredible Health Benefits Of Bael fruit
A fruit which is not so good looking but loaded with essential nutrients…! Yes, we are talking about bael fruit, or in Hindi, it is called bilwa. It is a sweet, aromatic fruit that grows on the bael tree. Bael is also known as the tree of Lord Shiva is of sacred value in India.
6 Benefits of Barley Water & How To Make It
In this uneven pandemic environment, everyone wants to stay healthy. Despite taking care, we may lack in something that leads us to land up in various diseases. We consume a lot of nutritional supplements. However, we need to focus more on natural sources of the nutrient. Barley can be one of the best food to
5 Wonderful Benefits And Uses Of Carrots
Summer is here, and delicious crispy carrots are here! Who can resist delicious and crispy carrots? No wonder this vegetable is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber and is very popular among fans. Good for eyes. Yes, but the benefits of carrots don’t stop there. In addition to simple and healthy methods, enjoying healthy root
10 Excellent Health Benefits Of Sugarcane Juice
A hot summer season and a chilled sugarcane juice is an excellent combination to enjoy a hot afternoon. This delicious sugarcane juice is not only relishing but also nourishing. It is considered healthy according to traditional Indian medicine. It does not mean pure sugar, but it contains water, fibers, and some amount of sucrose. Sugarcane
What Is So Dangerous About The Second Wave Of COVID-19?
The number of active cases of COVID-19 has been steadily reducing since late September 2020 and it was then that most public places, schools, colleges, and offices began opening their doors for regular operation. Despite this, COVID protocols were being maintained with the utmost scrutiny in all such public places. As of February 2021, more
Moringa Leaves – 16 Health Benefits That You Should Know
Moringa tree is also known as the ‘miracle tree’ and there is a good reason why. The leaves, fruit, sap, oil, roots, bark, seeds, pod and flowers of the tree have medicinal properties. The products from the tree have many uses. It is also known as the ‘drumstick tree’. It is found mostly in Asia,
10 Best Health Benefits Of Oolong Tea
Healthy teas are the pretty old fad now that appeals you numerous health benefits. Green tea is one of the popular types of tea from all other teas. However, many are not big fans of green tea and still looking out for some better options. You can try Oolong tea!! Oolong tea is a rare
10 Health Benefits of Garlic
Garlic has been part of the kitchens for centuries. This herb has curative and medicinal properties because of its antibacterial and antiseptic nature. The beneficial properties of garlic are because of a compound, Allicin. It is rich in minerals like phosphorus, zinc, potassium, and magnesium. Vitamins C, K, Folate, niacin and thiamine also are found
16 Simple Home Remedies for Glowing Skin!
Gone are the days when glowing skin was only a woman’s top priority! These days everyone yearns for a soft, smoother and of course, blemish-free glowing skin. And with each of us engulfed in hectic schedules, irregular eating habits, inadequate sleep and pollution, achieving flawless and picture-perfect, glowing skin has become difficult, if not an
The Latest COVID-19 News That You Must Know!
The steadily rising numbers of COVID-19 cases throughout the country has become a cause of concern for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Although this rise in daily cases has not been consistent throughout the country, certain states like Maharashtra, Punjab, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Karnataka have experienced a massive spike in numbers.
Make This Holi COVID-Proof!
We have already been missing out on so much due to the pandemic! Events across the world have been canceled, gatherings are best avoided and social distancing is the new thing. As the vaccination process began, people seem to have allowed themselves to become careless and ditch the mask once in a while. Owing to
7 Important Tips To Strengthen Your Immune System
The environment we live in is inhabited with trillions of germs. We all are vulnerable to getting attacked with the deadly virus or bacteria, but if you noticed few of us remain healthy and do not get affected by the viruses like coronavirus for today’s time!Why is it so? Well, that’s the immune system that
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved