Betamethasone is a steroid containing medicine used for the treatment of severe inflammation caused by diseases such as allergies, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. It may be essential for certain types of cancer (e.g., leukemia). Topical application is used in the treatment of itching in skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, allergies, etc.
Uses of Betamethasone
- Severe inflammation, e.g., arthritis and kidney disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Certain cancers (leukemia)
- Inflammatory signs in skin complaints
Contraindications of Betamethasone
When should one not use Betamethasone
- Allergic to Betamethasone
- Severe fungal infections
- Diabetes mellitus
Side effects of Betamethasone
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sleep disturbances and depression
- Thinning of skin
- Dry skin, acne and hair loss
- Irregular periods
- Irregular heartbeats
- Muscle weakness
- Weight gain, swelling of face
- Signs of skin infection (swelling, redness)
- Bone pain
- Delay in growth in children
- Increased cholesterol in blood
- Redness (skin)
- Itching (skin)
- Rash (skin)
- Dryness (skin)
- Excessive hair (skin)
- Red marks (skin)
Precautions and Warnings of Betamethasone
Can I take Betamethasone during pregnancy?
This medicine may be unsafe in pregnancy, if you are already taking this medicine and happen to conceive, do not stop the medication on your own. Inform your doctor immediately as he/ she may substitute for a safer alternative.
Can I take Betamethasone while breastfeeding?
For oral: It is safe to use this medicine during breastfeeding. Inform your doctor as it is not advisable to take a high dose for an extended period during breastfeeding. Don't stop the medication on your own. For topical application: Use the least amount of cream or ointment on the smallest area of skin. Be careful and avoid contact of the baby with the skin areas where the cream or lotion is applied.
Can I drive if I have consumed Betamethasone?
It does not affect your driving skills.
Can I consume alcohol with Betamethasone?
No known interaction with alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have a history of depression, mania, fits, diabetes, high blood pressure, eye problems, stomach ulcers, tuberculosis
- Take it regularly and do not miss any dose
- Do not stop the medication of Betamethasone abruptly. As this can be very dangerous, your doctor may reduce the dose gradually over a few weeks and then take you off this medicine if needed
- Do not suddenly stop taking Betamethasone medicine(oral tablet or capsule), unless your doctor tells you to. It can lead to serious health issues. Generally, steroids medicine’s dose is gradually lowered by the physician before you end the treatmentread less
Mode of Action of Betamethasone
How Does It Work?
Betamethasone is a steroid medicine. It decreases the action of chemicals in the body that cause swelling, pain and redness.
Interactions of Betamethasone
Interactions with other medicines
- Arthritis medications
- Aspirin, Cyclosporine
- Antifungal like Itraconazole
- Live vaccines
- Oral contraceptive
Interactions with food items
No specific interactions with food has been reported yet.
Dietary Restrictions of Betamethasone
This medicine may increase the cholesterol level in the body. Follow the diet given by your doctor.
Dosage of Betamethasone
If you take an overdose of medicine, seek emergency medical care immediately. The symptoms of overdose are stomach pain, vomiting, sleep disturbances, skin thinning, easy bruising, increased acne or facial hair, menstrual problems, etc.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and follow regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose of Betamethasone to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my physician before taking Betamethasone?
A: Inform the doctor about your detailed medical, surgical and allergy history and all your ongoing medications. Inform your physician if you have any of the following conditions: Any skin infections Diabetes Liver or kidney disease Thyroid disorder High blood pressure Osteoporosis Mental illness Recent vaccinations Tuberculosis
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- Topical medicine is available in the form of gel, lotion, ointment, solution, spray, foam, cream formulations
- One should apply a small quantity to affected areas twice a day. Be careful that the medicine should not enter the eyes, mouth etc.
- Do not cover the applied area, unless advised by the doctor
- It can also be tablets, capsules or an injection. Take as prescribed by a healthcare professional
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayLivEasy Essentials 4-in-1 Steam Vaporizer: For Speedy Relief From Common Cold
Is there anyone who doesn’t have their routine disrupted by bouts of common cold and flu, especially during the winter? Even though these infections are fairly harmless, they ...
2 days agoAllergy March – Have You Heard Of It? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Betamethasone
BETNESOL FORTE STRIP OF 20 TABLETS
By GLAXOSMITHKLINE PHARMA
20 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved