Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Gluconorm Sr Tablet contains Metformin as its active ingredient. It is an oral antidiabetic medicine belonging to the "Biguanide" class. Gluconorm Sr Tablet is used to lower the raised blood glucose levels in the blood when it is not being controlled by diet and exercise. It decreases the absorption of the glucose from the intestine, thus lowering its production from the liver, resulting in increased utilization of the sugar by the body cells. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor, preferably after meals. Gluconorm Sr Tablet should not be used in children below 10 years of age. Abrupt stopping of this medicine can result in increased blood sugar level and its complications. You may experience taste disturbance, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea while on this medicine. Mostly the side effects get resolved over a short time. If it worsens, reach out to the nearest clinic or hospital.
Uses of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Gluconorm Sr Tablet is used to treat Type 2 diabetes mellitus in overweight patients when dietary changes and exercise fail to achieve satisfactory glycaemic control.
Contraindications of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- If you are allergic to Metformin or any other ingredient of Gluconorm Sr Tablet.
- If you have kidney failure.
- If you have several conditions such as dehydration, shock and severe infection.
- If you have acid-base imbalance in the body or diabetes complication such as diabetes ketoacidosis.
- If you have conditions such as heart failure, lung failure, shock, heart attack.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you had unconsciousness due to either extremely high or low blood sugar level.
Side effects of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Taste disturbance
Precautions and Warnings of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Can I take Gluconorm Sr Tablet during pregnancy?
Gluconorm Sr Tablet should not be used during pregnancy as it may cause harm to the unborn baby. Inform your doctor if you are planning pregnancy, he might suggest you some other alternative
Can I take Gluconorm Sr Tablet while breastfeeding?
Gluconorm Sr Tablet passess into the breast milk in very small quantities which might not be harmful to the baby. Metformin should be used with caution while nursing newborn and premature infants.
Can I drive if I have taken Gluconorm Sr Tablet?
Gluconorm Sr Tablet has no effect on ability to drive. Howevere, if you experience dizziness or decreases blood sugar level after taking this medicine, it is advised to avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Gluconorm Sr Tablet?
Alcohol intake should be avoided when taking Gluconorm Sr Tablet as it increases the risk of lactic acidosis (acid-base imbalance).
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have lactic acidosis (acid-base imbalance) characterised by difficulty in breathing, abdominal pain, muscle cramps, dehydration.
- You have altered kidney function.
- You have heart disease such as heart failure.
- You have planned surgery.
- You have or are going to administered any contrast medium in the body
- Gluconorm Sr Tablet should not be used in children below 10 years of age.
Mode of Action of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
How Does It Work?
Gluconorm Sr Tablet works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, thereby lowering the production of glucose or sugar in the liver and increasing the absorption of sugar by the body cells from the blood.
Directions for Use of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Gluconorm Sr Tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Take it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Verapamil, rifampicin, cimetidine, olaparib alter the effectiveness of Gluconorm Sr Tablet in the body.
- Diuretics and thiazide, oral contraceptives, isoniazid, corticosteroids, phenytoin, nicotinic acid, calcium channel blockers, thyroid medicines, oestrogen tablets, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptors antagonists, etc. increases blood sugar levels and can cause damage in the kidneys, especially in individuals who are suffering from kidney disorders.read less
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicine, herbal preparation and supplements you are taking currently to avoid any possible interactions.
Storage and disposal of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Store this medicine below 25°C in a cool and dry place.
- Protect it from light and moisture.
- Keep product out of reach and sight of children and pets.
Dosage of Gluconorm Sr 500mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Overdose of Gluconorm Sr Tablet is associated with lactic acidosis presenting with symptoms of drowsiness, rapid breathing, severe vomiting, diarrhoea, irregular heartbeats. If you experience any of the symptoms or think you have taken too much of this medicine, then contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this medicine, then take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is taking Gluconorm Sr Tablet alone sufficient for diabetes?
A: Gluconorm Sr Tablet is used with a proper diet and exercise program. Single drug therapy with metformin can be given in pre-diabetes or at the onset of diabetes. In a diabetic at a later stage insulin production itself becomes very poor and a drug from another group of antidiabetics needs to be added to control high blood sugar.
Q: What should I tell the healthcare provider before I start treatment with Gluconorm Sr Tablet?
- You must get screened for baseline Vitamin B12 levels, kidney and liver profile. Other factors like weight, body mass index (BMI), baseline blood sugar levels before starting the treatment should be noted.read less
- You must share all the relevant medical and surgical history, your past and ongoing medicines etc. with your doctor.
Q: What kind of food should I include in my diet?
- A diet should be high in fibre, low in fat with adequate protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Diet should include boiled, steamed, or baked food.
- Ensure moderate use of edible oils (groundnut oil, olive oil).
- Maintain the regular meal timings and try to have 2-3 healthy snacks between meals like soups and salads.
Q: What should I avoid doing, being a diabetic patient?
- Do not shop when you are hungry. You could be tempted to buy oil and fried food.
- Avoid cream soups, carrot juice, deep-fried vegetables, vegetable curries with excess oil.
- Avoid white bread, potato, noodles, corn flakes, biryani, naan, fried rice etc.
- Avoid cheese, milkshakes, ice creams.
- Try to avoid pork, beef, soft drinks, sugarcane juice, sweetened health drinks and beverages.
Q: Is it necessary to continue exercising after starting Gluconorm Sr Tablet?
A: Gluconorm Sr Tablet for diabetes or decreasing the sugar level in one's blood is more effective when used in combination with regular exercises and a proper diet.
Q: Will Gluconorm Sr Tablet reduce weight?
A: No, Gluconorm Sr Tablet does not reduce weight. It neither increases nor decreases the weight. You should continue to exercise and follow a diet while on this medicine.
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 26 Mar 2021 | 09:21 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved