Platelet inhibitor (platelets help in blood clotting).
Uses of Ticagrelor
- Heart attack
- To reduce the risk of stroke in patients having a history of heart attack or chest pain
- In patients who have stents inserted (i.e. to prevent blocking of the stent with a blood clot)
Contraindications of Ticagrelor
When should one not use Ticagrelor
- You are allergic to Ticagrelor
- You have any active bleeding currently
- You have a history of intracranial bleeding or history of bleeding from ulcer in the stomach or intestine
- In patients in whom aspirin is contraindicated
Side effects of Ticagrelor
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Allergic reaction like fever, chills, rash, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling over your face, lips, throat
- Bleeding from an unusual site (mouth, nose, rectum, vagina, gums)
- Easy bruising, pinpoint rash on the skin
- Easy weakness and fatigue
- Red or pink urine
- Blood in the stool (red or black ), cough or vomit (coffee coloured vomit)
- Shortness of breath
- Sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body with problems in speech, balance and vision and excessive headache indicating of stroke (serious side effect)
- Yellowing of eyes or skin, weakness, fever and anorexia (suggestive of liver problems)
Precautions and Warnings of Ticagrelor
Can I take Ticagrelor during pregnancy?
It is not recommended during pregnancy.
Can I take Ticagrelor while breastfeeding?
It is unknown if Ticagrelor passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding if you are on this medication.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ticagrelor?
Generally, Ticagrelor does not affect the ability to drive; if you feel confused or dizzy after taking this, do not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Ticagrelor?
Alcohol should be avoided as it increases the risk of bleeding from the intestine and stomach.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- Have any liver disease
- Have any lung problem or difficulty in breathing
- Had any recent bleeding or injury or surgery or dental procedure
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Have a high uric acid level
- A sudden stoppage of medicine can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke
Mode of Action of Ticagrelor
How Does It Work?
Ticagrelor prevents the formation of a blood clot by not allowing the platelets to stick together in the blood. This prevents clot formation and blockage of essential vessels in the heart or other parts of the body.
Interactions of Ticagrelor
Interactions with other medicines
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs like Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Diclofenac
- Taking medicine that contains more of Aspirin. Since Aspirin is already advised along with Ticagrelor. Consuming combination medicine that contains Aspirin can cause its overdose and result in bleedingread less
- Antibiotics like Clarithromycin
- Antiviral medicine (Anti HIV medicine like Ritonavir and Atazanavir)
- Antifungal medicine like Ketoconazole
- Anti-seizure medications
- Tuberculosis medicines like Rifampicin
- Do not take Ticagrelor if you are already taking blood thinner medicines like Warfarin
Interactions with food items
No information is available.
Dosage of Ticagrelor
Excess Ticagrelor ingestion may cause excessive bleeding from and inside different parts of the body. Seek emergency medical help immediately if you overdose.
Missed a Dose
Take medicine as soon as you remember. If the missed dose falls at the time of your next scheduled dose, then skip it. Do not take an extra dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- You must take medicine precisely the way the physician prescribes it. Follow the instructions mentioned on the prescription label
- Do not alter the dose unless recommended by your doctor. Please do not take it longer than advised
- Do not take more aspirin than prescribed by your physician as this may render Ticagrelor less effective
- The medicine can be taken with or without a meal but preferably at the same time daily
- Do not discontinue taking this medicine without informing your doctor, even if you have signs of bleeding
- A sudden stoppage of medicine can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke
Q: What else should I avoid while taking Ticagrelor?
A: Avoid activities that can result in injury and bleeding, e.g. rigorous exercise and take extra care while brushing your teeth, shaving, etc.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Is COVID Making a Come-Back With Rising Case-Count?
The fight against coronavirus has been going on for more than a year now. We have been living a life of restrictions since March 2020. It was a very difficult year for every one of us. We were constantly hoping that the ‘curve would be flattened’ any day. But every day we only read reports
Can You Still Contract COVID After Getting Vaccinated?
Several countries across the world have developed COVID-19 vaccines that have been found to be effective against COVID after extensive human trials. The vaccination drive has started in many nations including India. A lot of hopes are pinned on the COVID-19 vaccine. We have all suffered setbacks and with the rolling out of the vaccination
Can You Take COVID-19 Shot After Contracting The Virus? Read To Know
Amid the advancement of COVID-19 vaccination drives across the globe, the confusion and rumours around the efficacy of the vaccines are still rising. People are trying to find answers to their questions like – “When do they become immune to the virus?”, “How long does the immunity last?”, and many more. Well, these confusions exist
Here’s How To Enjoy A Holiday Meal Without Worrying About Acidity
Holiday meals are quite close to our heart; we eat all the comfort food guilt-free during holidays. Post the massive lunch and dinner, everyone in the house is either glued to the television screen or just relaxing on the couch. These large meals are a downside of festivities and a sure-fire recipe for indigestion, further
Will The Existing Vaccines Work Against New Covid Strains? Here’s What Scientists Say!
The ongoing war against the COVID pandemic is about to end soon. Across the world, several vaccines have been invented that have proved to be effective against the COVID. In India, 2 vaccines have been given emergency approval and vaccination has already rolled out. Soon enough we will all be receiving the COVID vaccine. This
Colgate Diabetics: Helping You Stay A Step Ahead In Your Diabetes Management
If you have diabetes, there are some precautions that you must take. What you eat, when you eat, exercise routines are unquestionably significant, but smiling through diabetes is also equally important. One aspect of your health that you may not always pay a lot of attention to is your oral health. Yes, diabetes and oral
How Worrying Are The Side Effects Of The COVID Vaccines?
Several vaccines against the dreaded COVID-19 are now gradually being made available across the globe. However, you may be wondering whether the risk of taking any vaccine may outweigh the benefits since the vaccines currently available haven’t been tested as rigorously as per usual protocol. Read on about the vaccine side effects people have experienced
Can Normal Life Resume After Everyone Is Vaccinated?
2021 kicked off to a good start. We all came to know that 2 vaccines have been given the emergency approval and we all saw the photos of medical professionals and frontline workers getting the corona vaccine in India. The case count is dwindling and February recorded the fewest number of new infections in the
8 Best Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
Upset stomach or indigestion is a common thing for everyone. Everyone suffers from this one or another day. There is nothing more uncomfortable than an upset stomach. This feeling of stomach discomfort increased now may be due to lack of physical activity. Covid-19 pandemic gives a sudden break to our life including our physical activity.
How To Steer Clear Of Skin Allergies! By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India Initiative
Our skin is one of the most sensitive parts of our body and most exposed as well. It’s easy for different kinds of allergens to come in contact and cause an unforeseen reaction occasionally. While there may be multiple symptoms for skin allergy- irritated skin is the most common one. To delve into what is
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Ticagrelor
BRILINTA 90MG STRIP OF 14 TABLETS
By ASTRAZENECA PHARMA INDIA LTD
14 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved