Isosorbide Mononitrate is used as an antianginal medicine for treating chest pain.
Uses of Isosorbide Mononitrate
Heart related chest pain in ischemic heart disease (angina).
Contraindications of Isosorbide Mononitrate
When should one not use Isosorbide Mononitrate
- Do not take if you are allergic to Isosorbide Mononitrate or any ingredient of this medicine
- Do not take if you are under medication of:
- Viagra (Sildenafil) used for male erectile dysfunction
- Do not take if you have decreased blood supply to the brain
Side effects of Isosorbide Mononitrate
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Severe headache initially but reduces as one continues the medicine
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Pounding and rapid heartbeat
- Drop in blood pressure
- Elevation in level of Methemoglobin in blood, which has less affinity to oxygen, causing reduced oxygenation of tissues (Methemoglobinemia) - a rare, severe side effect
Precautions and Warnings of Isosorbide Mononitrate
Can I take Isosorbide Mononitrate during pregnancy?
If you are pregnant, consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Can I take Isosorbide Mononitrate while breastfeeding?
It is probably not safe during breastfeeding, its better to consult with your doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed Isosorbide Mononitrate?
It may give you a headache, blurred vision or make you feel dizzy or tired. If this happens to you, do not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Isosorbide Mononitrate?
Do not drink alcohol. It could increase the effect of this medicine and lower your blood pressure too much. If this happens, you may feel dizzy or faint.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have recently had a heart attack
- You have an underactive thyroid gland
- You have a head injury or bleeding of the brain
- You have a poor diet or poor circulation
- You have a very low body temperature
Mode of Action of Isosorbide Mononitrate
How Does It Work?
- Angina is caused by constriction of the vessels supplying muscles of heart causing poor blood flow resulting in chest pain
- This medicine dilates the blood vessels which eases the blood flow in them and decreases the load on heart
- It also facilitates an increased amount of blood to flow to areas which need it
Interactions of Isosorbide Mononitrate
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines used to treat high blood pressure
- Medicines used to treat heart failure
- Medicines used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction like Sildenafil
- Any medication which may cause a lowering of your blood pressure
- Medicines such as Histamine, which is used to treat allergic reactions
- Medicines used to treat migraines like Ergotamine
Interactions with food items
It is known to interact with food and the presence of food lessens its action. To be taken an hour after or half an hour before the meals. Low salt diet is preferred.
Dietary Restrictions of Isosorbide Mononitrate
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking Isosorbide Mononitrate, consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Isosorbide Mononitrate
If you happen to take overdose, it may cause your blood pressure to fall too low, making you feel sick, faint and dizzy. Seek immediate medical attention.
Missed a Dose
Do not take a double dose if you have missed the dose; take the next dose as soon as you remember.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What special precautions should I follow while on this medication?
- You must take this medicine precisely for the prescribed schedule as directed by your doctor. So make sure that you have understood what your dose is and how to space the intervals
- Avoid Sildenafil or similar medicine while on nitrates. Sildenafil is used to treat sexual dysfunction. Complications of taking Sildenafil or other related compounds can be fatal
- Keep the immediate-release tablets always with you
- If you suffer from angina after exercise or exertion or any acute stressful event, you may need to take a pill immediately
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before I start taking this medicine?
A: You must give account of your medical and surgical history and all your ongoing medications. Discuss with your doctor if you are taking treatment for erectile dysfunction.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
TodayAllergy March – Have you heard of it? By #AllergyFree- A Sanofi India initiative
Very common in children, an allergy march is when a kid starts to get allergies in a specific order. It’s a condition that starts from eczema, then food allergies and hay feve...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Isosorbide Mononitrate
IMDUR 30MG STRIP OF 30 TABLETS
By ASTRAZENECA PHARMA INDIA LTD
30 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved