Estriol is similar to the naturally occurring hormone estrogen. It is used as Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) in women after menopause.
Uses of Estriol
- Osteoporosis (which cause weakening of bones)
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Vaginal dryness (topical cream/gel)
Contraindications of Estriol
When should one not use Estriol
- Do not take this medicine if:
- You are allergic to this medicine
- You have breast cancer
- You have liver disease
- You have clots in blood
- You have cancer of the womb lining (endometrial cancer)
- You have an extensive thickening of the womb lining (endometrial hyperplasia)
- You have any unexplained vaginal bleeding
- You have porphyria
Side effects of Estriol
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breast tenderness
- Vaginal spotting
- Pain during urination
- Stomach upset
- Skin rash
- Pain in legs
- Difficulty to breath and swallow
- Swelling of face or throat
- Increase blood pressure
Precautions and Warnings of Estriol
Can I take Estriol during pregnancy?
It is probably unsafe to use this medicine during pregnancy as it may harm the unborn baby.
Can I take Estriol while breastfeeding?
Limited data available for the amount of medicine passing in breast milk during breastfeeding. Therefore avoid this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Estriol?
Limited data are available about the effect of this medicine on driving.
Can I consume alcohol with Estriol?
No study available about the interaction of this medicine with alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have abnormal growth in womb inside or outside
- You have high blood pressure, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease or diabetes
- You have gallbladder stone, migraine, headache, seizures or asthma
- You have a high triglyceride level and autoimmune disease called Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
Mode of Action of Estriol
How Does It Work?
Estriol helps in maintaining the estrogen levels in postmenopausal females.
Interactions of Estriol
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines for epilepsy(like Barbiturates, Lamotrigine, Hydantoins, and Carbamazepine)
- Medicines for infections (like Griseofulvin and Rifamycin)
- Medicines for viral infections (like Nevirapine, Efavirenz, Ritonavir or Nelfinavir)
- Theophylline or Succinylcholine
Interactions with food items
No specific interactions with food have been reported yet.
Dietary Restrictions of Estriol
No information is available on dietary restrictions while you are taking this medicine, so consult your doctor or pharmacist for further details.
Dosage of Estriol
The effect of an overdose may be harmful and need immediate medical attention. The symptoms of overdose can be nausea, vomiting and headache. If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, seek emergency medical care immediately.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose of medicine as early as you remember. Skip the missed dose and do not take extra medicine to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare expert before taking Estriol?
- Inform the doctor about your detailed medical, surgical and allergy history
- Inform your physician if you have any of the following conditions -
- Uterine fibroids, endometriosis
- Breast cancer
- Blood pressure, stroke
- Liver disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Inform if you are pregnant, lactating or planning a pregnancy
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Estriol
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved