Zolax Sr 0.5mg Tablets
Zolax Sr 0.5 MG Description
Zolax Sr tablet is a prescription medication. It is most commonly used for the short-term management of certain mood disorders. Lowering symptoms of anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and anxiety in p
atients with depression are some of the uses of Zolax Sr tablet. Mood disorders like anxiety and panic attacks occur due to the overstimulation of nerve cells. Zolax Sr tablet has one active ingredient: Alprazolam. The mode of action of Zolax Sr tablet is by balancing the chemical substances in the brain, which slows down excessive brain activity and relaxes the overworked nervous system. Proper dosage of Zolax Sr tablet helps relieve the symptoms of mood disorders like fear, anxiety, behaviour problems, etc. Zolax Sr tablets can cause both physical and psychological dependence. It also has the potential to be habit-forming. Tiredness, sleepiness, dry mouth, and weight gain and loss are some of the side effects of Zolax Sr tablets. Pregnant women (or those planning to conceive) should notify their doctor before using this tablet. Sudden stoppage of this medicine can cause withdrawal symptoms like cramps, profuse sweating, nausea, muscle tremors, stuffy nose, etc. It is stopped slowly by tapering off its dose.
|Uses||Anxiety, Panic disorder, Anxiety associated with depression|
|Side effects||Lightheadedness, Blurred speech, Nausea, Vomiting, stomach problems, Drowsiness, Dry mouth, Fatigue, Change in sex drive, Memory problems, Jaundice, Changes in appetite, Difficulty concentrating, Weight changes, Balancing problems, Suicidal thoughts, Hallucinations|
Uses of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
- As per CDSCO, Zolax Sr tablets are used in:
- Immediate or short-term management of anxiety disorder symptoms; this medicine resolves symptoms such as restlessness, irritability, tiredness, problems with focusing, etc.
- Treatment of panic disorders (helps calms down the user and improves cognitive abilities)
- Short-term management of anxiety in persons with depression.
Contraindications of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
- Do not take Zolar Sr tablets or take with caution:
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to any component of Zolax Sr tablets.
- If you have a history of alcohol addiction or substance abuse; Zolax Sr tablets can be habit-forming and cause physical and psychological dependency.
- If you have respiratory depression (slow and steady decline in breathing).
- If you have some respiratory issues like asthma, sleep apnea, etc.
- If you are expecting or planning a pregnancy; this medicine can cause congenital disabilities in the developing foetus.
- If you have been nursing; this can have adverse effects on newborn babies.
- If you have sudden dizzy spells or are at risk of falling a lot.
- If you notice sudden mood changes, suicidal thoughts or other harmful behaviour after starting treatment with this medicine.
- If you are using any narcotic or opioid pain relievers.
- If you have been diagnosed with an eye disorder like closed-angle glaucoma; this medicine can increase the fluid pressure in the eye.
- You are a child or adolescent under 18.
Side effects of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
- Side effects of Zolax Sr tablets include:
- Blurred speech
- Dry mouth
- Change in sex drive
- Balancing problems
Precautions and Warnings of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have suicidal thoughts after starting treatment with Zolax Sr tablets.
- You have a history of lung, kidney, or liver disease.
- You are an older adult over 65. Zolax Sr tablets may cause serious adverse effects due to slow metabolism in this age group.
- You use the medications for fungal infections.
- You have withdrawal symptoms like agitation, sweating, tremors, nausea, and confusion. Do not suddenly stop this medicine. The dose needs to be slowly tapered.
- You are planning to have a medical or dental procedure.
- You have a seizure disorder and are under antiepileptic medication.
- You are pregnant or planning to conceive.
- You use oral contraceptives.
- You take herbal or Ayurvedic medicines or vitamins and supplements. Some of them can interfere with Zolax Sr tablets and cause adverse effects.
Mode of Action of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
- Take Zolax Sr tablets exactly as advised by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage, even if you cannot notice the effects of this medicine.
- Take Zolax Sr tablets as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not break or chew this tablet.
- Do not take Zolax Sr tablets with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not consume this medicine if its packaging is broken.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Zolax Sr tablets; this can result in adverse effects from withdrawal
Interactions of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Do not use Zolax Sr tablets with antihistamines (allergy medicines), opioid painkillers, sleeping pills, etc. It can increase drowsiness and fatigue.
- Do not take other sedatives or tranquillisers like sertraline with this medicine; they can enhance the side effects of Zolax Sr tablets.
- Using Zolax Sr tablets along with antidepressants or mood-elevating medicines like amitriptyline and imipramine can cause increased side effects.
- Zolax Sr tablets can lower the effect of oral contraceptives or birth control pills. If you are not planning for a pregnancy, try using other contraceptive methods.
- If you take treatment antifungal medication like itraconazole and ketoconazole. This medicine can reduce their effects.
Interactions with food items
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice. This medicine reduces the effects of Zolax Sr tablets.
Storage and disposal of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
Dosage of Zolax Sr 0.5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop using Zolax Sr tablets once I start feeling better?
Q: For how long should I use Zolax Sr tablets?
Q: Can I use Zolax Sr tablets if I have seizures?
- Alprazolam: Medlineplus Drug Information [Internet]. medlineplus.gov. U.S. National Library of Medicine [cited 26 Feb 2022]
- Ait-Daoud N, Hamby AS, Sharma S, Blevins D. A Review of Alprazolam Use, Misuse, and Withdrawal [Internet]. Journal of Addiction Medicine. U.S. National Library of Medicine. 2018 [cited 26 Feb 2022] -
- Singh T, Rajput MI. Alprazolam as a Monotherapy for Anxiety and Depression [Internet]. Psychiatry. Edgmont: Matrix Medical Communications. 2005 [cited 26 Feb 2022] -
- New Drugs Approved by CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 26 Feb 2022] -