Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
By MODI MUNDI PHARMA PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Uncontin e 400 mg tablet is a medicine that contains Theophylline as an active component. It relieves symptoms of asthma, bronchitis, COPD, emphysema and other breathing problems by relaxing the smooth muscles of the lungs and reducing the response of the lungs to various allergens. This medicine is not recommended in children below 6 months of age. This medicine should be used in caution with children taking cough syrup and elderly. Do not take products like tea, coffee, cola, soft drinks (those containing caffeine) while taking this medicine.
Uses of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
To treat airway problems like asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD) and chronic bronchitis that cause breathing difficulties and symptoms like shortness of breath, chest tightness and cough.
Contraindications of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to the active ingredient theophylline or other ingredients in the tablet
- If you are suffering from an inherited blood disorder (porphyria)
- If the patient to be treated is of 6 months or less
Side effects of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
- Vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhoea, heartburn, upset stomach
- Rash or itchy skin
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Excited behaviour with uncontrolled body movements, mood swings, irritability, restlessness
- Fast heartbeat
- Difficulty in passing urine (especially in men) or passing increased amounts of urine
- The increased uric acid level in the blood, which can cause painful, swollen joints
- Increased calcium levels in the blood
- It is recommended that you should visit your doctor nearest hospital if you experience severe allergic reaction as discomfort, sudden breathlessness, swelling of the eyelids, face or lips, rash or itchingread less
Precautions and Warnings of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
Can I take Uncontin e 400 mg tablet during pregnancy?
There is limited data available about the safety of using Unicontin e 400 mg tablet, hence it is not recommended in women during pregnancy to avoid undesired effects on the developing foetus
Can I take Uncontin e 400 mg tablet while breastfeeding?
Theophylline is known to pass through the mother's milk to the newborn and cause irritation, hence taking unicontin e 400 mg is not recommended during breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Uncontin e 400 mg tablet?
As theophylline in unicontin e 400 mg can make you feel tired, nauseatic and dizzy, it may hamper your ability to drive and operate complex machinery. It is thus not recommended to drive if you experience such symptoms after taking the tablet.
Can I consume alcohol with Uncontin e 400 mg tablet?
- Alcohol increases the elimination of theophylline from the system making the medicine less effective, and also may increase the side-effects.
- Avoid alcohol consumption during
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are undergoing any surgery as these tablets may interact with certain anaesthetics such as halothane and ketamine
- You are allergic to theophylline or other ingredients in the tablet
- You are allergic to other xanthine products
- You are suffering from over-active thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- You are suffering from heart disease, as theophylline can worsen the condition of irregular heartbeat (cardiac arrhythmia)
- You have stomach or intestinal ulcers as theophylline can act as an irritant of the digestive system
- You are experiencing or have history fits
- You have viral infections like fever and cough-cold
- You are addicted to alcohol and/or smoking
- You are suffering from lung disease, and/or inherited disorder lung and digestive system (cystic fibrosis)
- You have an enlarged prostate gland or experience any difficulty in passing urine
- You are suffering from severe asthma and/or high blood pressure
- Your child who is taking unicontin e 400 mg is also taking cough syrup
- Use with caution in the elderly, especially those with heart disease, liver disease, lung disease, underactive thyroid functioning, fever and viral infections
Mode of Action of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Theophylline the active ingredient of Unicontin e 400 mg tablet. It works by two mechanisms, relaxation of the smooth muscles in the airways by inhibition of two enzymes: phosphodiesterase enzyme and suppression of the response of airways by blocking the specific adenosine receptors to histamine and allergens. This relaxes the smooth muscles of the lungs and reduces the lungs response to allergens.
Directions for Use of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
- Take this tablet in dosage and duration as prescribed by your doctor
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water
Interactions of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Caution in use and monitoring is required when other medicines to treat asthma or breathing conditions that contain theophylline, aminophylline, salbutamol, terbutaline or salmeterol are used along with Uncontin e 400 mg tablet.read less
- Medicines to treat cancer (aminoglutethimide, methotrexate or lomustine); fits (carbamazepine or phenytoin); tuberculosis( rifampicin or isoniazid); HIV (ritonavir); gout(sulfinpyrazone or allopurinol); sleeplessness(barbiturates); certain brain disorders(St. John's wort) all increase the elimination of the active ingredient theophylline from the body hence concomitant use should be done with caution.read less
- Medicines for viral infections (aciclovir), thyroid disorders (carbimazole), Stomach problems like indigestion and heartburn (cimetidine or nizatidine), bacterial infections (clarithromycin, erythromycin), high blood pressure and other heart problems (diltiazem, propranolol, verapamil, propafenone, mexiletine, pentoxifylline), alcohol addiction (disulfiram), worm infections (thiabendazole); fungal infections (fluconazole), cancers and viral infections (interferon, methotrexate), and oral contraceptives; all of these tend to decrease the elimination of theophylline from the system, thereby increasing the risk of side-effects.read less
- Concomitant use of Unicontin e 400mg tablets and medicines used to treat mood disorders (fluvoxamine) should be strictly avoided they interfere with each other working leading to undesirable events.
- Coadministration with anaesthetic medicine(ketamine) leads to an increased risk of fits, while medicine used to prevent low blood pressure during anaesthesia (ephedrine) may have increased toxic effects.read less
- When used together along with quinolone antibiotics including ciprofloxacin and enoxacin, may increase the plasma levels of theophylline.
- Concurrent administration of medicines like water pills (e.g. bendroflumethiazide, indapamide, bumetanide, furosemide), medicines used to treat heart failure (digoxin); medicines that are used to relax muscles of airways in lungs [methylxanthines (e.g. aminophylline, theophylline)] and medicines used to treat inflammatory conditions [corticosteroids (e.g. betamethasone, prednisolone, triamcinolone)] with Theo Asthalin forte tablets as all of these are known to decrease the potassium levels in the body which may lead to heart problems over a period of time.read less
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicine, herbal preparation, and supplements you are taking currently to avoid any possible drug interactions.
Other general Interactions
Disease conditions like viral infections, liver disease, thyroid disorder and heart failure reduce the elimination of theophylline from the body.
Storage and disposal of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
- Store at room temperature(10-30°C) in a cool and dry place
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets
Dosage of Unicontin E 400mg Tablet
If you have taken too much of this medicine then contact your doctor or reach out to the nearest hospital immediately. Overdose symptoms may include nausea, severe vomiting, fits, muscle cramps, fast or irregular heartbeats, low blood pressure, restlessness, high blood sugar levels along with low magnesium levels and mood changes.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed taking any dose of this medicine then take it as soon as you remember. If it is already time for the next dose then skip the missed dose and follow the regular dosing schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: I have a history of peptic ulcer, can I take Unicontin e 400 mg tablets?
A: Unicontin e 400 mg tablet is recommended to be used with caution in those with peptic ulcers, as the active ingredient theophylline is known to cause irritation in the digestive system which can worsen the ulcers. Please consult your doctor before use of medicine
Q: What are the foods to be avoided while taking Unicontin e 400 mg tablets?
A: It is recommended that you avoid drinks or foods that contain caffeine, such as coffee, tea, cola, and chocolate while taking Unicontin e 400 mg tablets
Q: Can Unicontin e 400 mg tablet make me feel restless and anxious?
A: Yes, the possible side-effects of this medicine include nervousness, sweating, fast heartbeat, and feeling restless. But as an individual has a varied physiological response depending on their medical condition, it is recommended that you consult your doctor before use
Q: Who should not take Unicontin e 400 mg tablets?
A: This medicine is not recommended in children below 6 months of age, anyone who is allergic to theophylline and anyone who has an inherited blood disorder of haemoglobin (porphyria). Also, it should be used carefully in children who are taking cough syrups and the elderly who are suffering from disorders of the liver, heart, lungs, thyroid gland and prostate gland.
Q: Can I use Unicontin e 400 mg tablet along with erythromycin?
A: You should be careful while using the combination of Unicontin e 400 mg and erythromycin, as erythromycin interferes with the way theophylline is removed from the body and increases the effect of theophylline. It may cause side-effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, headache, restlessness, loss of sleep, fits, or an irregular heartbeat. Please visit your doctor or nearest doctor immediately if you experience such symptoms. Avoid self-medication.
Last Updated on: 26 Mar 2021 | 05:37 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on all medicines + Myntra voucher worth Rs.250
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved