Oleanz Forte Tablet
Oleanz Forte Tablet Description
Oleanz Forte tablet is used to treat major depressive disorders that are resistant to other medications. It has two active ingredients: fluoxetine and olanzapine. Olanzapine belongs to a class of ant
ipsychotic medications. It works by balancing the brain's chemical substances that slow down the overworked nervous system. Fluoxetine stabilises mood and improves behaviour. Depression is a mood disorder that affects the normal functioning of a person. It can cause sad thoughts and loss of interest in life. The proper dosage of Oleanz Forte tablets helps in relieving these symptoms. Take this medication in the exact dose prescribed by the doctor as it can cause various adverse effects like drowsiness, fatigue, etc. Do not stop taking Oleanz Forte tablets suddenly, as it can cause withdrawal symptoms like cramps, sweating, vomiting, and tremors. Its dose should be slowly reduced. It depends on the individual and varies from person to person. It is not a habit-forming substance, but some people can abuse it. Notify your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
|Contains||Fluoxetine(20.0 Mg) + Olanzapine(10.0 Mg)|
|Uses||Depression resistant to other medicines.|
|Side effects||Lightheadedness, Blurred speech, Drowsiness, Fatigue, Change in sex drive, Balancing problems, Jaundice, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea, Constipation, Dryness in mouth, Weight gain, Sleepiness, Dizziness, Muscle stiffness, Restlessness, Tremor, Delayed ejaculation, Anorgasmia (decreased orgasm)|
Uses of Oleanz Forte Tablet
- As per CDSCO, Oleanz Forte tablet is used to manage depressive disorders resistant to other kinds of treatments.
Contraindications of Oleanz Forte Tablet
Side effects of Oleanz Forte Tablet
- Blurred speech
- Dry mouth
- Weight gain
- Change in sex drive
- Sleep-related problems
Precautions and Warnings of Oleanz Forte Tablet
Other General Warnings
- You have breathing problems during sleep (sleep apnea).
- You have a seizure disorder and are under antiepileptic medication.
- You have a history of low blood pressure and diabetes.
- You are an elderly patient over 65 years of age. High doses of this medicine may cause serious adverse effects due to slow metabolism in elderly patients.
- You are going to have a medical or dental procedure.
- You smoke cigarettes or use tobacco products. Tobacco can decrease the effectiveness of this medicine.
- You have withdrawal symptoms like sweating, tremors, nausea, agitation, and confusion. Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. The dosage needs to be slowly tapered.
- You have been previously diagnosed with lung, kidney, or liver disease.
- You are using any vitamin, ayurvedic, herbal medicines, and supplements. Some can interfere with this medicine and can cause adverse effects.
Mode of Action of Oleanz Forte Tablet
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Oleanz Forte Tablet
- Take the Oleanz Forte tablet in the exact dosage and at the same time every day.
- Do not exceed the dosage, even if you cannot feel its effects.
- Take this tablet (whole) with a glass of water.
- Do not break this tablet or chew it.
- Do not take it with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not stop taking this medication suddenly, as it may have unwanted side effects.
Interactions of Oleanz Forte Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- If you have taken fluoxetine, an ingredient in this tablet in the last five weeks, inform your doctor. It can stay in the body for a long time and cause major side effects.
- This medicine can increase bleeding if you use blood thinners and medicines such as aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.
- If you have taken antidepressant medication in the last 14 days, Oleanz Forte tablets can interact to cause fatal reactions.
- If you are currently using antiepileptics (seizure medicines), antipsychotics, antiarrhythmics (heart medicine), Oleanz Forte tablets can decrease the removal of these medicines.
- If you are using medicines that increase serotonin levels in the body, Oleanz Forte can cause serotonin toxicity.
- Do not take medicines that cause drowsiness with Oleanz Forte, such as anti-allergy medicines, cold or cough medicines, certain pain relievers, sleeping pills, etc.
Interactions with food items
- While consuming an Oleanz Forte tablet, do not eat Tyramine rich foods such as cheese, milk, meat, bananas, soy, excess chocolate, chicken liver, canned figs, etc. It can cause serious side effects and a sudden increase in blood pressure....
- Avoid grapefruit and its juice. It can lead to potentially serious side effects.
- Do not use cigarettes or tobacco products. They can alter the effectiveness of the Oleanz Forte tablet.
Storage and disposal of Oleanz Forte Tablet
Dosage of Oleanz Forte Tablet
- Overdose of Oleanz Forte tablet can cause symptoms such as confusion, decreased concentration, suicidal thoughts, swollen feet and hands, low sexual desire, trouble breathing, liver problems (yellowing of skin and eyes), severe abdominal pain, slow heart rate, and trouble with sleeping and loss of consciousness....
Missed a Dose
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I gain weight if I use the Oleanz Forte tablets?
Q: Can I use the Oleanz Forte tablet if I have seizures?
- Do not use the Oleanz Forte tablet without consulting your doctor if you have seizure disorders. This medicine is not indicated for treating seizure disorders. Inform your doctor if you have any condition that can affect the functioning of this medicine....
- Olanzapine/Fluoxetine: A review of its use in patients with treatment-resistant major depressive disorder [Internet]. CNS drugs. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Jan 20]
- Olanzapine and fluoxetine combination therapy for treatment-resistant depression: Review of efficacy, safety, and study design issues [Internet]. Neuropsychiatric disease and treatment. Dove Medical Press; 2009 [cited 2022 Jan 20]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Jan 20]. Available from: