Obimet Sr 500mg Tablet
By CORONA REMEDIES PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Obimet SR 500 tablet contains oral antidiabetic medicine metformin as its active ingredient. Obimet SR 500 tablet is used to lower the raised blood glucose levels in the blood when it is not being controlled by diet and exercise. It decreases the absorption of glucose from the intestine, thus lowering its production from the liver, resulting in increased utilization of the sugar by the body cells. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor, preferably after meals. Obimet SR 500 tablet should not be used in children below 10 years of age. Abrupt stopping of this medicine can result in increased blood sugar level and its complications....
10 Brand Alternate(s)
Contains same composition as Obimet Sr 500mg Tablet
Uses of Obimet Sr 500 MG
Obimet SR 500 tablet is used to treat Type 2 diabetes mellitus when dietary changes and exercise fail to achieve satisfactory glycaemic control.
Contraindications of Obimet Sr 500 MG
- If you are allergic to metformin or any other ingredient of the Obimet SR 500 tablet.
- If you have kidney failure.
- If you have several conditions such as dehydration, shock and severe infection.
- If you have an acid-base imbalance in the body or diabetes complication such as diabetic ketoacidosis.
- If you have conditions such as heart failure, lung failure, shock, heart attack.
- If you have liver disease.
- If you had unconsciousness due to either extremely high or low blood sugar level.
Side effects of Obimet Sr 500 MG
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Taste disturbance
Precautions and Warnings of Obimet Sr 500 MG
Can I take the Obimet SR 500 tablet during pregnancy?
Mostly, in pregnancy-related diabetes, insulin is preferred over any oral anti-diabetic medicines. Your doctor will mostly not prescribe you this medicine during pregnancy. Do not use in pregnancy without a doctor’s advice.
Can I take the Obimet SR 500 tablet while breastfeeding?
Obimet SR 500 tablet passes into the breastmilk in very small quantities which might not be harmful to the baby. Metformin should be used with caution while nursing newborn and premature infants.
Can I drive if I have taken the Obimet SR 500 tablet?
Obimet SR 500 tablet has no effect on the ability to drive. However, if you experience dizziness or decreases blood sugar level after taking this medicine, it is advised to avoid driving.
Can I consume alcohol with the Obimet SR 500 tablet?
Alcohol intake should be avoided when taking the Obimet SR 500 tablet as it increases the risk of lactic acidosis (acid-base imbalance).
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have lactic acidosis (acid-base imbalance) characterised by difficulty in breathing, abdominal pain, muscle cramps, dehydration.
- You have altered kidney function.
- You have heart disease such as heart failure.
- You have planned surgery.
- You have or are going to administer any contrast medium in the body
- Obimet SR 500 tablet should not be used in children below 10 years of age.
Mode of Action of Obimet Sr 500 MG
How Does It Work?
Obimet SR 500 tablet works by decreasing the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine, thereby lowering the production of glucose or sugar in the liver and increasing the absorption of sugar by the body cells from the blood....
Directions for Use of Obimet Sr 500 MG
Obimet SR 500 tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Take it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor....
Interactions of Obimet Sr 500 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Verapamil, rifampicin, cimetidine, olaparib alter the effectiveness of the Obimet SR 500 tablet in the body.
- Diuretics and thiazide, oral contraceptives, isoniazid, corticosteroids, phenytoin, nicotinic acid, calcium channel blockers, thyroid medicines, oestrogen tablets, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II receptors antagonists, etc increases blood sugar levels and can cause damage in the kidneys, especially in individuals who are suffering from kidney disorders....
- Discuss with your doctor about any other medicine, herbal preparation and supplements you are taking currently to avoid any possible interactions.
Storage and disposal of Obimet Sr 500 MG
- Store this medicine below 25°C in a cool and dry place.
- Protect it from light and moisture.
- Keep the product out of the reach and sight of children and pets.
Dosage of Obimet Sr 500 MG
An overdose of the Obimet SR 500 tablet is associated with lactic acidosis presenting with symptoms of drowsiness, rapid breathing, severe vomiting, diarrhoea, irregular heartbeats. If you experience any of the symptoms or think you have taken too much of this medicine, then contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital....
Missed a Dose
If you have missed any dose of this medicine, then take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is taking the Obimet SR 500 tablet alone sufficient for diabetes?
A: Obimet SR 500 tablet is used with a proper diet and exercise program. Single drug therapy with metformin can be given in pre-diabetes or at the onset of diabetes. In a diabetic at a later stage insulin production itself becomes very poor and a drug from another group of antidiabetics needs to be added to control high blood sugar.
Q: What should I tell the healthcare provider before I start treatment with the Obimet SR 500 tablet?
- You must get screened for baseline Vitamin B12 levels, kidney and liver profile. Other factors like weight, body mass index (BMI), baseline blood sugar levels before starting the treatment should be noted....
- You must share all the relevant medical and surgical history, your past and ongoing medicines, etc with your doctor.
Q: What kind of food should I include in my diet?
- A diet should be high in fibre, low in fat with adequate protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals.
- Diet should include boiled, steamed or baked food.
- Ensure moderate use of edible oils (groundnut oil, olive oil).
- Maintain the regular meal timings and try to have 2-3 healthy snacks between meals like soups and salads.
Q: What should I avoid doing, being a diabetic patient?
- Do not shop when you are hungry. You could be tempted to buy oil and fried food.
- Avoid cream soups, carrot juice, deep-fried vegetables, vegetable curries with excess oil.
- Avoid white bread, potato, noodles, corn flakes, biryani, naan, fried rice, etc.
- Avoid cheese, milkshakes, ice creams.
- Try to avoid pork, beef, soft drinks, sugarcane juice, sweetened health drinks and beverages.
Q: Is it necessary to continue exercising after starting the Obimet SR 500 tablet?
A: Obimet SR 500 tablet for diabetes or decreasing the sugar level in one's blood is more effective when used in combination with regular exercises and a proper diet.
Q: Will Obimet SR 500 tablet reduce weight?
A: No, Obimet SR 500 tablet does not reduce weight. It neither increases nor decreases the weight. You should continue to exercise and follow a diet while on this medicine.
Country of Origin
Expires on or After
Other Products from this Brand
- Obimet Sr 500 Mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Obimet Sr 1 Gm Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Obimet Gx 2 Mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Obimet 500 Mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Obimet Gx 1 Mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Obimet Gx 2 Mg Forte Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Obimet Gx 3 Tablet 10 S
- Obimet Gx 3 Mg Forte Tablet 10 S
- Obimet V 0 2 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Obimet Gx 4 Tablet 10 S
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.