Sold under the common name of Viagra, Sildenafil is a Phosphodiesterase inhibitor used for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Uses of Sildenafil
- Erectile dysfunction, also known as impotence, erectile dysfunction is an inability to develop or maintain proper penile erection to perform sexual activity
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension is a health complication marked by increased blood pressure in the arteries connected to the heart
Contraindications of Sildenafil
When should one not use Sildenafil
- Regular smokers are not advised to take Sildenafil as it leads to severe side effect of eye called NAION meaning excessive blood loss in optic nerve
- Patients who experience heart attacks, low blood pressure, myocardial infraction, stroke and cardiac failure are also advised to avoid the use of Sildenafil to prevent serious effects
- Sildenafil is recommended for the individuals having penile deformities
- If you have rare inherited eye diseases (retinitis pigmentosa)
- Sildenafil is not recommended for the treatment of individuals reported with a hypersensitivity for the drug, for who have received treatment with medicine containing nitrates
- Sildenafil is not recommended for the treatment of patients less than 18 year old
- If you have a stomach ulcer or bleeding problem (haemophilia)
Side effects of Sildenafil
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Muscle aches
- Tenderness around eyes or cheekbones
- Runny or bloody nose
- Unusually warm skin
- Troubled breathing
- Reddening of skin
- Stomach discomfort
- Pounding heartbeat
- Burning or itching sensation at various body parts
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- Cold sweats
- Difficulty in concentration
- Dry mouth, eyes, and skin
- Chest pain
- Increased hunger
- Increased urination frequency
- Tenderness at stomach
- Prolonged and painful erection
- Behavioural changes
- Bloodshot eyes/red eyes, pain in the eyes, seeing flashes of light, light sensitivity, watery eyes
- Low blood pressure
Precautions and Warnings of Sildenafil
Can I take Sildenafil during pregnancy?
Sildenafil is a medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction in male. Thus, it is not recommended to administer in pregnant women.
Can I take Sildenafil while breastfeeding?
Sildenafil is not recommended to administer in breastfeeding mothers.
Can I drive if I have consumed Sildenafil?
Sildenafil can cause dizziness and can affect your vision. You should be careful if you need to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Sildenafil?
Drinking alcohol is known to cause erection impairment. You are advised not to drink alcohol in extreme amounts before taking Sildenafil.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience sudden loss of hearing or buzzing noise in ears while taking treatment with Sildenafil
- Some patients may experience a sudden loss of vision while taking a treatment with Sildenafil. In such a situation, stop taking Sildenafil and consult a physician immediately
- Sildenafil should be used with great caution for the treatment of heart patients
- The risk of side effects caused by Sildenafil is great in case of regular smokers, patients older than 60 years and heart patients
- Sildenafil may result into priapism, i.e. painful erection especially in patients suffering from sickle cell anaemia (an abnormality of red blood cells), leukaemia (cancer of blood cells), multiple myeloma (cancer of bone marrow) and penile deformitiesread less
Mode of Action of Sildenafil
How Does It Work?
Human erection is an involuntary event governed by the autonomous nervous system. On stimulation, two essential parts of the human penis, corpus carvernosum and corpus spongium create the erection by maintaining blood flow. One more factor that plays a crucial role in regulating erection is cyclic Guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), which increases the blood flow in the penis, causing an erection. In people who have erectile dysfunction, cGMP-specific Phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) binds cGMP and inhibits its action. Sildenafil protects this degradation of cGMP by PDE5 in corpus cavernosum. Sildenafil has the same structure as cGMP and it binds PDE5, which eventually results in free cGMP resulting in undisturbed erection.
Interactions of Sildenafil
Interactions with other medicines
- Concomitant administration of Sildenafil and medicines containing nitrates leads to dangerous hypotensive effects (low blood pressure)
- Coadministration of Sildenafil and alpha-blockers lowers the blood pressure
- Sildenafil interact with Amlodipine and cause an increase in blood pressure
- Coadministration of Sildenafil and CYP3A4 inhibitors like Ritonavir (medicine for HIV treatment) increase the systemic exposure of Sildenafil
- Coadministration of Sildenafil with Ritonavir is not advised
Interactions with food items
Sildenafil leads to dangerous effects when consumed with grapefruit or its juice and pomelo or its juice.
Dietary Restrictions of Sildenafil
Patients taking a treatment with Sildenafil are advised to avoid grapefruit or its products.
Dosage of Sildenafil
Symptoms of overdose can be headache, flushing, dizziness, dyspepsia, nasal congestion, altered vision. Call emergency medical services if you suspect overdose.
Missed a Dose
In case of a missed dose, patients are recommended to take the dose as soon as possible. However, if the time of the next dose has already come, the patient can skip the missed dose and continue with their scheduled dosages.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: On administering this medicine, when does its effect start to show?
A: The effect of Sildenafil can be observed within 30 to 120 minutes of its administration.
Q: What is the duration of its effect?
- The duration of the effect of Sildenafil is 4 hours.
Q: Is it safe with alcohol?
A: No, Sildenafil and alcohol interact with each other and lead to an increase in the risk as well as the intensity of side effects like dizziness, fainting, flushing, headache, etc.
Q: Does it have habit-forming tendencies?
A: No habit-forming tendencies are reported in case of Sildenafil.
Q: What should you tell your doctor before you start the medication of Sildenafil?
A: You must inform the doctor about heart diseases, asthma, blood pressure disorders, diabetes and congenital penile defects (if any) to your doctor before taking a treatment with Sildenafil.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Sildenafil
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved