Rosuvastatin belongs to the statin family of medicines which are used to decrease the bad cholesterol, also known as Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) in the body.
Uses of Rosuvastatin
It is used in patients with high cholesterol levels, heart disease and high blood pressure. It is known to prevent stroke and reduce the risk of a heart attack.
Contraindications of Rosuvastatin
When should one not use Rosuvastatin
- Any liver or kidney problems
- Abnormal liver tests
- Allergic to Rosuvastatin
- Addiction to alcohol
- If you are taking a medicine called Cyclosporin
Side effects of Rosuvastatin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Common side effects are headache, stomach pain, dizziness, heartburn, constipation and nausea
- Serious side effect includes myopathy, which can manifest in the form of muscle ache, lethargy and fever
- The patient should immediately report to the treating doctor if any signs of blood in the urine, along with muscle pain, is observed. It can cause jaundice and can elevate liver enzymes. Liver function tests have to be monitoredread less
- Abnormal muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis) is a condition with severe muscle pain, soreness and may be associated with fever. This can be serious as it is related to the breakdown of muscles leading to acute kidney failureread less
- Promptly report to your doctor if you find dark-colored urine, fever, muscle pain
Precautions and Warnings of Rosuvastatin
Can I take Rosuvastatin during pregnancy?
Do not take Rosuvastatin if you are pregnant or if you are planning pregnancy. Taking Rosuvastatin in pregnancy can be harmful to the foetus. Women of childbearing age should use effective contraceptive while using this medicine.
Can I take Rosuvastatin while breastfeeding?
A small amount of this medicine passes into breast milk. Limited data is available on safety about Rosuvastatin during breastfeeding. It is unsafe to consume this medicine if you are planning to breastfeed the baby.
Can I drive if I have consumed Rosuvastatin?
Rosuvastatin does not affect the ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Rosuvastatin?
You must reduce the intake of alcohol while on Rosuvastatin medication, which otherwise can lead to liver damage.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are taking or have taken in the last seven days a medicine called Fusidic Acid (an antibiotic for bacterial infection). Fusidic Acid and Rosuvastatin should not be taken together as they lead to serious muscle problemsread less
- You have kidney or liver problems
- You have muscle aches or pains or family history of muscle problems
- If in the past you had muscular problems during treatment with other cholesterol-lowering medicines
- If you regularly drink alcohol
Mode of Action of Rosuvastatin
How Does It Work?
Cholesterol is made by an enzyme HMG-CoA reductase. Rosuvastatin inhibits this enzyme, thus lowering cholesterol and bad cholesterol (LDL) levels. It increases the good cholesterol, also known as high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels.
Interactions of Rosuvastatin
Interactions with other medicines
- Increased risk of myopathy, when used with other lipid-lowering agents
- Monitor lipid levels to ensure the lowest necessary dose of Rosuvastatin is used when given along with Amiodarone, Diltiazem or Verapamil
- Many drugs like Cyclosporin, Warfarin, oral contraceptive pills, Itraconazole, Ketoconazole, Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Telithromycin and HIV protease inhibitors have important interactions reducing the levels of statinsread less
- After taking Rosuvastatin within two hours, any antacids like aluminum hydroxide should not be taken
- Rosuvastatin should not be taken along with Fusidic acid or within 7 days of stopping Fusidic acid as it will lead to a severe side effect of muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis)
Interactions with food items
Limit intake of grapefruit juice to minimal quantities.
Dosage of Rosuvastatin
Although no particular side effects of overdose of Rosuvastatin are known, one must avoid overdose of any medicine. However, you may see the common side effects of Rosuvastatin in case of an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you miss a dose of Rosuvastatin, take it as soon as you remember. However, do not take two dosages of Rosuvastatin within 12 hours gap between two doses.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How soon will Rosuvastatin work?
A: You may see results for lowering LDL cholesterol in 2–4 weeks after starting the medication of Rosuvastatin. Results may vary between individuals. On follow-up visits, your doctor may choose to adjust your dosage to help you reach your cholesterol goal.
Q: What are the precautions to follow?
- These medicines are a part of a comprehensive program to reduce cholesterol levels. Avoid eating foods with high-fat content and exercise regularly for optimum results
- Tell the doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Tell the doctor if you have any liver/ kidney ailment
Q: What if my daily schedule interferes with the dosage of medicine?
A: Try to take your dosages at the same time every day. Try connecting your dose with something you do every day, such as brushing your teeth or eating breakfast. This may help you remember to take it. Keep a daily calendar or set an alarm clock to go off at the time you need to take your medicine. You can also use a pillbox with the days of the week on it.
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Rosuvastatin
ROSUVAS 10MG STRIP OF 15 TABLETS
By RANBAXY LABORATORIES (SUN PHARMA)
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved