Drotaverine helps in pain relief related to spasms. It relieves stomach pain, c
ramps, spasms and menstrual pain. It works by relaxing the smooth muscle in the stomach, thereby providing relief from pain & spasms. Drotaverine is available in the form of a tablet, capsule, suspension, oral drops, injection. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting drotaverine.
Uses of Drotaverine
Contraindications of Drotaverine
When should one not use Drotaverine
- If you are allergic to drotaverine or similar medicines
- If you are suffering from any heart, liver or kidney related problems
- If you have a blood disorder called porphyria
- If you are a breastfeeding mother
- Drotaverine is not recommended for use in children below the age of 12 years.
Side effects of Drotaverine
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Dry mouth
- Spinning of head
- Injection site reactions
Precautions and Warnings of Drotaverine
Other General Warnings
- You have problems with your heart, liver or kidneys.
- You have low blood pressure
- You are pregnant, planning to conceive or are breastfeeding.
Mode of Action of Drotaverine
How Does It Work?
Interactions of Drotaverine
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way drotaverine works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- You may experience rigidity, shakiness, disbalance when drotaverine is concomitantly used along with medicines like levodopa (used to treat Parkinson's disease).
- Other medicines like pain killers, medicines used to treat bladder problems and medicines used to treat mental health problems should be used cautiously.
Dosage of Drotaverine
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can drotaverine be used in children?
Q: Is drotaverine an antibiotic?
- No-Spa, 40 mg tablet - Drotaverine hydrochloride [Internet]. Ravimiregister.ee. 2021 [cited 6 October 2021]
- Drotafemme Forte / SUN-FARM [Internet]. Sunfarm.pl. 2021 [cited 6 October 2021]
- Drotaverine: Indication, Dosage, Side Effect, Precaution | MIMS Malaysia [Internet]. Mims.com. 2021 [cited 6 October 2021]