Cefixime is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of bacterial infections. It belongs to a group of antibiotics called Cephalosporins.
Uses of Cefixime
It is useful for a wide range of bacterial infections of the ear, nose, sinuses (such as sinusitis), urinary system (such as bladder and kidney infections), throat ( tonsillitis), chest and lungs (such as bronchitis, pneumonia).
Contraindications of Cefixime
When should one not use Cefixime
You are allergic to Cefixime, any other Cephalosporin antibiotics, including penicillin or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
Side effects of Cefixime
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Itching or skin rash
- Vaginal discharge
- Allergic reaction - rash, joint pain, swallowing or breathing problems, swelling of your lips. In such a case, immediately rush to hospital
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice), fatigue and loss of appetite suggesting Liver damage
- Worsening of diarrhea or bloody stools
- Less urination and swelling of legs suggesting kidney damage
- Fever, sore throat, bleeding gums
- Blistering or bleeding of the skin near the lips, eyes, mouth, nose and genitals. This is a serious condition called as 'Stevens-Johnson' syndrome
- Skin rash with a pink/red ring and a pale center which may be itchy, scaly, or filled with fluid. These may appear on palms or soles of your feet. These could be symptoms of a serious allergy to the medicine called 'Erythema Multiforme'read less
- Severe watery continuous diarrhea, along with fever. This may be something called 'Pseudomembranous Colitis'
Precautions and Warnings of Cefixime
Can I take Cefixime during pregnancy?
Cefixime should not be used in pregnancy unless considered essential by your physician.
Can I take Cefixime while breastfeeding?
It is unknown whether Cefixime passes into human milk. Consult with the doctor before taking Cefixime while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Cefixime?
This medicine can cause side effects like fits, confusion and feeling less alert. If you experience any of these, do not drive any vehicle or use machinery.
Can I consume alcohol with Cefixime?
No known interaction between alcohol and Cefixime.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you have or had colitis
- If you have kidney disease
- Take this medicine only on your doctor’s prescription and complete the course of the medicine. Not completing the course or not continuing Cefixime as per doctor’s prescription can lead to the bacteria becoming resistant to this medicineread less
Mode of Action of Cefixime
How Does It Work?
Cefixime is an antibiotic. It controls the growth of bacteria and kills them.
Interactions of Cefixime
Interactions with other medicines
Inform your physician if you are taking any antacids like Cimetidine, Ranitidine, etc. because they decrease the absorption of the medicine, also if you are on medications for thinning of the blood such as Warfarin.
Interactions with food items
There are no negative interactions of Cefixime with food. It is advisable to take Cefixime along with meals or within half an hour of having a meal.
Dosage of Cefixime
Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea. If you happen to take an overdose of the medicine, seek medical care immediately.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to the regular dosage schedule. Do not take an extra dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Cefixime?
- Inform the doctor about your detailed medical & surgical history
- Inform your physician if you have any liver or kidney disease
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning a pregnancy
Q: When and how to consume the medicine?
- Cefixime should be taken in the exact dose as advised by the physician
- The liquid medicine should be measured in a measuring device and then consumed
- You must chew the Cefixime chewable tablet before swallowing
- Drink plenty of liquids to prevent dehydration
- It is advisable to take Cefixime along with meals or within half an hour of having a meal
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Recent articlesView More
19 Nov 2020Know How Antibiotics Can Mess With Your Gut And Cause Acidity!
Antibiotics kill bacteria, that’s their job after all. It is how they have saved millions of lives over the centuries. However, killing the harmful bacteria responsible for ...
12 Nov 2020Heartburn And Acidity – The Downside And Side Effects Of Painkillers!
Are you amongst those who pop painkillers quite often? Well, you may not be aware, but painkillers can end up causing heartburn and damage to your stomach. Heartburn and a...
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Cefixime
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved