Domperidone+Pantoprazole is a combination medicine. It is used for the treatmen
t of gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD) which does not respond to pantoprazole alone. It provides relief from symptoms of acid reflux disease like heartburn and chest discomfort. Both the medicines, together work by reducing the amount of acid produced in the stomach and improves the motility in the gut. Thus, it reduces the backflow of stomach content to the food pipe. Domperidone+Pantoprazole is available in the form of tablet, capsule. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting domperidone+pantoprazole.
Uses of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
Contraindications of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
When should one not use Domperidone+Pantoprazole
- If you are allergic to pantoprazole+domperidone or similar medicines
- If you are pregnant, planning to get pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- If you are taking any medications containing rilpivirine
- If you are suffering from bleeding in the digestive system.
- If you have any tumour of the pituitary gland (prolactin pituitary tumours)
- If you have problems with your heart, liver or kidney.
Side effects of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Dry mouth
- Skin rashes
- Altered taste
Precautions and Warnings of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
Other General Warnings
- You have problems with your liver or kidney.
- You are suffering from any heart like heart failure, heart rhythm problems, electrolyte imbalance
- You have a stomach tumour/cancer
- You develop watery/black stools or fever after taking this medicine.
- You have low levels of vitamin B12
- You have a history of fractures or have osteoporosis or are taking steroids.
- You are taking medicines to treat HIV.
- You get rashes on your skin on exposure to sun after taking this medicine.
- Your blood magnesium levels may drop, if you are taking this medicine for more than three months. Your doctor may perform regular tests.
- Taking pantoprazole+domperidone for more than one year may increase the chances of developing bone fractures.
Mode of Action of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
How Does It Work?
- A pump called the proton pump in the stomach is responsible for the secretion of stomach acids. Pantoprazole binds to this proton pump in stomach cells, thus blocking acid secretion.
- Domperidone increases the motility of the stomach and intestines so that acid does not reflux back into the food pipe.
Interactions of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way domperidone+pantoprazole works, or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Especially if you are taking medicine to treat your heart problems, mental health problems, fungal or bacterial infections or are taking blood thinners.
- Rilpivirine or methotrexate should not be used along with this medicine.
Dosage of Domperidone+Pantoprazole
Missed a Dose
Dr. Mansi Savla
B. Pharm, PharmD
Dr. Ritu Budania
MBBS, MD (Pharmacology)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage forms is domperidone+pantoprazole available?
Q: What is gastro-intestinal reflux disorder (GERD)?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 7 October 2021]
- PANSEC DSR capsules [Internet]. CiplaMed. 2021 [cited 7 October 2021]
- PANTOPRAZOLE sodium delayed-release tablets [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 7 October 2021]
- Pantoprazole (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic [Internet]. Mayoclinic.org. 2021 [cited 7 October 2021]