Drotaverine+Mefenamic acid is a combination medicine. It is used for the treatm
ent of muscle spasm and pain. Drotaverine is an anti-spasmodic medicine, and mefenamic acid has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Drotaverine+Mefenamic acid is available in the form of tablet, capsule. Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from, before starting this medicine.
Uses of Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
- Drotaverine+Mefenamic acid is used to treat menstrual cramps, stomach pain and muscle spasms.
- This combination may also be useful in pain due to bowel disorders, after surgery and due to kidney stones.
Contraindications of Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
When should one not use Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
- If you are allergic to mefenamic acid, drotaverine or similar medicines
- If you had a heart attack recently, undergoing a coronary artery bypass graft. Do not take this medicine right before the surgery or after the surgery without consulting a doctor.
- If you have a kidney or liver function problem, history of asthma or stomach or intestinal ulcers.
- If you have any blood-related disorders like unusual bleeding and porphyria (related to haemoglobin function).
Side effects of Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Dry mouth
- Skin rash
Precautions and Warnings of Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
Other General Warnings
- You have a heart-related problem or high blood pressure, history of heart failure
- You have problems with your liver or kidney
- You are an elderly patient
- You have a history of any kind of respiratory disorders like asthma
- You are suffering from fits, tremors or epilepsy
- You are suffering from ulcers or bleeding in the stomach or intestine.
- Women may experience infertility. Thus, women who are trying to conceive or taking any fertility treatment should avoid consuming this medicine.
Mode of Action of Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
How Does It Work?
- Pain and spasm are experienced due to the production of an inflammatory mediator called prostaglandin and due to reduced calcium levels.
- Drotaverine works by inhibiting an enzyme that reduces calcium uptake by the cells, thereby correcting the calcium levels in the body it reduces the spasms in the smooth muscles.
- Mefenamic acid acts by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins which is responsible for pain.
Interactions of Drotaverine+Mefenamic Acid
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way drotaverine+mefenamic acid works or this medicine itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Drotaverine+Mefenamic acid should not be taken along with other pain killers or analgesic medicines.
- There is an increased risk of bleeding and ulceration if drotaverine+mefenamic acid is taken along with steroids and certain medicines used for mental illness.
- Concomitant use of medicines used to treat blood pressure like Aliskiren, Captopril and Valsartan should be avoided.
- This combination can aggravate the blood-glucose-lowering action of anti-diabetic medicines, and you may experience symptoms of low blood sugar.
- Water pills, Cyclosporin, and Tacrolimus if taken along with this medicine can increase the risk of toxicity to kidneys.
- Blood thinners such as Warfarin should be used cautiously with this medicine as there is increased risk of bleeding.
- Medicines like prednisone, methotrexate, fluconazole, zidovudine, digoxin, probenecid, and certain antibiotics should be used cautiously along with this combination.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: In which all dosage form is drotaverine+mefenamic acid available?
Q: Is drotaverine+mefenamic acid useful for menstrual cramps?
- Ponstan Capsules 250mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Drotafix [Internet]. Bionova.co.in. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]
- Drotaverine: Uses, Interactions, Mechanism of Action | DrugBank Online [Internet]. Go.drugbank.com. 2021 [cited 13 December 2021]