Zolpirest 5mg Tablets
Zolpirest 5 MG Description
Zolpirest 5 mg tablet is a prescription medicine. It helps manage insomnia, a sleeping disorder that causes difficulties falling and staying asleep. The active ingredient in Zolpirest tablets is Z
olpidem. The mode of action of Zolpirest 5 mg tablets is to increase the activity of certain chemical messengers in the brain, that further lower excess brain activity and cause relaxation, leading to calmness and sleep. A proper dosage of Zolpirest tablet helps in managing insomnia. You should always take this medicine on the doctor's advice; otherwise, it can cause adverse effects like excessive drowsiness, fatigue, etc. Zolpirest tablets can also be habit-forming, meaning the user might depend on this medicine and have trouble sleeping without it. It can also cause unwanted sleep behaviours.
|You Save||₹7.43 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||Drowsiness, Unsteady walking, Constipation, Changes in appetite, Stomach upset, Dry mouth, Muscle cramps or aches, Menstrual problems|
Uses of Zolpirest 5 MG
- As per CDSCO, Zolpirest 5 mg tablets can be used in the short-term management of insomnia characterised by difficulty in sleep initiation.
Contraindications of Zolpirest 5 MG
- If you have a known hypersensitive reaction to Zolpidem or any component of this medicine.
- If you are currently expecting or planning to conceive, Zolpirest tablets can cause low birth weight, preterm delivery and withdrawal symptoms in the baby at the time of birth.
- If you have a history of addiction to alcohol, this medicine has a high potential for abuse and can cause both physical and psychological dependency.
- If you are breastfeeding.
- If you are experiencing sudden mood changes or have suicidal or other harmful thoughts.
- If you take any narcotic or opioid pain relievers.
- If you are diagnosed with any glaucoma (an eye disorder)
- If you have respiratory problems like sleep apnea or asthma.
- If you are at risk of sudden dizzy spells.
- If you have myasthenia gravis (a muscle disorder).
- If you are a child or adolescent under the age of 18.
- If you have respiratory distress (slowing and declining of breathing).
Side effects of Zolpirest 5 MG
- Changes in appetite
- Difficulty keeping balance
Precautions and Warnings of Zolpirest 5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You are an adult over 65; Zolpirest tablets may cause serious adverse effects due to slow metabolism in this age group.
- You have a history of kidney, lung or liver disease.
- You use Ayurvedic or herbal medicines or vitamins or supplements.
- You experience disturbing sleep behaviours.
- You have any fungal infections and are seeking treatment for them.
- You are expecting or planning to conceive during the treatment.
- You have any type of seizure disorder and are taking medications for it.
Mode of Action of Zolpirest 5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Zolpirest 5 MG
- Take Zolpirest tablets precisely as advised by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage of Zopirest tablet, even if you cannot notice the effects of this medicine.
- Take Zolpirest tablets as a whole with a glass of water.
- Try to take this medicine before eating anything.
- Do not break or chew this tablet.
- Do not take Zolpirest tablets with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not consume this medicine if its packaging is damaged.
- Do not abruptly stop taking Zolpirest tablets; this can have adverse effects.
Interactions of Zolpirest 5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Do not mix Zolpirest tablets with medicines that cause drowsiness, such as antihistamines (allergy medicines), opioid painkillers, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, etc. This can cause excessive sleepiness and lethargy....
- It is better not to take other sedatives like sertraline while under Zolpirest medication; this can enhance the side effects of this medicine.
- Do not take Zolpirest tablets with certain antidepressants or mood-elevating medicines like amitriptyline and desipramine, as they can cause increased side effects such as drowsiness, fatigue, constipation, lethargy, etc....
- Zolpirest tablets can reduce the effect of antifungal medications like itraconazole and ketoconazole. So if you are using these medicines together, dose adjustment is needed.
Interactions with food items
- Take Zolpirest tablets on an empty stomach, ideally before meals. Food often delays the onset of sleep and slows down the absorption of the medicine.
- Avoid coffee and caffeine-containing products that can increase the severity of sleeplessness or insomnia.
Storage and disposal of Zolpirest 5 MG
Dosage of Zolpirest 5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I use more than one Zolpirest 5 mg tablet if I cannot sleep?
Q: Does daily use of Zolpirest 5 mg tablet cause sleepwalking?
Q: Can I take Zolpirest 5 mg tablets if I have depression?
- Zolpidem: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. https://medlineplus.gov. 2022 cited 20 Mar 2022]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 cited 20 Mar 2022]. Available from
- Zolpidem [Internet]. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. cited 20 Mar 2022]. Available from:
- Bouchette D. Zolpidem [Internet]. StatPearls [Internet]. 2021 cited 20 Mar 2022]. Available from
- Krystal AD, Erman M, Zammit GK, Soubrane C, Roth T, ZOLONG Study Group. Long-term efficacy and safety of zolpidem extended-release 12.5 mg, administered 3 to 7 nights per week for 24 weeks, in patients with chronic primary insomnia: A 6-month, double-blind, randomized, parallel-group, placebo-controlled, Multicenter Study [Internet]. Sleep. Associated Professional Sleep Societies, LLC; 2008 [cited 20 Mar 2022]. Available from: