Serenace 1.5mg Tablet
Serenace 1.5 MG Description
Serenace tablet is used to treat schizophrenia and Tourette syndrome (repetitive tics). The main component of this tablet is haloperidol decanoate. It belongs to the class of antipsychotics. The mode
of action of Serenace tablets is by blocking chemical substances in the brain that affect mood and thoughts. Managing symptoms of schizophrenia, such as hallucinations, delusions, etc., is one of the primary uses of Serenace tablets. It is also helpful in treating other psychological conditions such as Tourette syndrome, psychosis, and other behavioural problems. Both children and adults can use it. Impaired driving abilities, concentration, etc., are some of the side effects of Serenace tablets. This tablet should be given in a clinical or hospital setting by doctors or healthcare professionals. Follow your doctor’s directions for using Serenace tablets. It is essential to take a lot of fluids as it can cause dry mouth and dehydration. This medicine can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, so users are advised against standing up quickly from a sitting or lying position. Serenace tablets also can cause weight gain. A healthy diet and regular exercise can help.
|Uses||Schizophrenia, Tourette syndrome|
|Side effects||Anxiety, Restlessness, Agitation, Loss of appetite, Mood changes, Sleeping problems, Diarrhoea, Nausea, Painful enlargement of the breast, Urination problems|
Uses of Serenace 1.5 MG
- As per USFDA and CDSCO, Serenace tablets can be used in the treatment and maintenance of the following disorders:
- Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disorder that can cause symptoms such as hallucination (hearing and seeing things that are not there), delusions (having beliefs that are not true), certain mood disorders, etc....
- Tourette syndrome is indicated by unwanted repetitive actions and sounds, also known as tics.
Contraindications of Serenace 1.5 MG
- Do not take Serenace tablets, or use caution:
- If you are hypersensitive or allergic to haloperidol or any ingredient in the Serenace tablet
- If you are diagnosed with dementia-related psychosis. In such cases, this medicine can cause an increased risk of heart failure, pneumonia, death, etc., especially in older adults
- If you have other psychiatric or mental disorders like Parkinson’s disease
- If you have central nervous system depression (slow and steady decline of breathing)
- If you have uncontrolled seizure disorder
- If you are pregnant. This tablet can cause long-lasting effects in unborn and newborn babies
- If you are nursing
- If you have a low white blood cell count (leukopenia or neutropenia)
- If you are diagnosed with conditions like Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (muscle rigidity and altered mental status) and Tardive Dyskinesia (sudden movements or tremors). It can worsen these conditions...
Side effects of Serenace 1.5 MG
- Side effects of Serenace tablets include:
- Loss of appetite
- Mood change
- Sleeping problems
- Problem in urination
- Low sex drive
- Muscle stiffness
- Weight gain
Precautions and Warnings of Serenace 1.5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have conduction or rhythm problems of the heart; this tablet can worsen the condition.
- You have other heart illnesses; you may require a dose adjustment.
- You have high thyroid hormone levels or hyperthyroidism; use extreme caution while using this tablet.
- You have glaucoma (an eye disorder); use caution. It can raise fluid pressure inside the eye. Dose adjustment is required.
- You are an older adult over 65; the dose of this tablet should be carefully monitored. It may cause increased side effects in this age group.
- You have a seizure disorder; this medicine can worsen the condition.
- You have a known history of severe liver or kidney illness.
Mode of Action of Serenace 1.5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Serenace 1.5 MG
- Take Serenace tablets exactly as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not increase the dosage of the Serenace tablet, even if you cannot notice its effects.
- Do not take it with other medications without asking your doctor.
- Do not take the Serenace tablet if its packaging has been already opened or damaged.
- It is better not to stop using this medication abruptly, as it can lead to adverse effects from withdrawal.
- You can take a Serenace tablet with or without food.
- Serenace tablets can cause dry mouth. Try to have ice or hard candy to ease the problem.
Interactions of Serenace 1.5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- The following medications are known to interact with Serenace tablets:
- If you are already taking antidepressant medications like monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) like sertraline and linezolid. Do not use Serenace tablets concomitantly without informing your doctor. They can cause serious side effects like decreased breathing, low heart rate, etc....
- It is not recommended to take Serenace tablets if you use medicines that lower heart rate (beta-blockers like metoprolol) or cause changes in heart rhythm (amiodarone). This medicine can increase the chance of heart rhythm disorder....
- It is better not to combine Serenace tablets with Parkinson’s medicines like levodopa. They have opposite effects, which can lead to some side effects.
- It is not recommended to take Serenace tablets if you are already using other antipsychotic, antidepressant, or anti-seizure medications; using Serenace tablets with these can cause severe adverse effects....
Interactions with food items
- Avoid coffee, tea, or other caffeinated drinks and products.
- Try to avoid grapefruit and its juice with Serenace tablets.
Storage and disposal of Serenace 1.5 MG
Dosage of Serenace 1.5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr. Vijay Y
MBBS, MD in Clinical Pharmacology
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I gain weight by using Serenace tablets regularly?
Q: Can I stop using Serenace tablets whenever I want?
Q: Is Serenace tablet a habit-forming medicine?
- Haloperidol tablet: MedlinePlus Drug Information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine [cited 17 Mar 2022] -
- Kane JM; Davis JM; Schooler N; Marder S; Casey D; Brauzer B; Mintz J; Conley R; A multidose study of haloperidol decanoate in the maintenance treatment of schizophrenia [Internet]. The American journal of psychiatry. U.S. National Library of Medicine [cited 17 Mar 2022] -
- HALDOL brand of haloperidol tablet (For Immediate Release) [Internet]. accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 17 Mar 2022]
- New Drugs Approved by CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 17 Mar 2022] -
- Haloperidol tablet BP 5mg/ml: Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (EMC) [Internet] www.medicines.org.uk [cited 17 Mar 2022] -