Rifagut 550mg Tablet
By SUN PHARMA
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
10 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Rifagut 550 tablet is an antibiotic medicine that contains rifaximin as its active ingredient. This medicine is prescribed for the treatment of infectious diarrhoea and irritable bowel syndrome associated with diarrhoea caused due to a bacterial infection. It is also used to treat Hepatic encephalopathy, a condition that arises due to liver disease.
Uses of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
- Rifagut 550 tablet is used for the treatment of hepatic encephalopathy (a condition in which brain function gets impaired due to the damaged liver).
- It is also used to treat infectious diarrhoea and irritable bowel syndrome associated with diarrhoea.
Contraindications of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to Rifaximin or any other ingredients of this medicine.
- If you have symptoms of blockage in the bowel or constipation.
Side effects of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Muscular and joint pain
- Swelling of the hands and feet
- Increased liver enzymes
- Accumulation of fluid in the stomach
Precautions and Warnings of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
Can I take the Rifagut 550 tablet during pregnancy?
There is limited information on the use of this medicine during pregnancy. Hence, it is recommended not to use the same unless it is prescribed by your doctor.
Can I take the Rifagut 550 tablet while breastfeeding?
Avoid the use of this medicine if you are breastfeeding as there is no information available on the use of Rifagut 550 tablets during breastfeeding. Consult with your doctor before breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed the Rifagut 550 tablet?
Generally, Rifagut 550 tablet does not affect the driving ability of people. However, if you experience dizziness, do not drive.
Can I consume alcohol with the Rifagut 550 tablet?
Although there is no known interaction with alcohol along with this medicine, you should avoid consuming alcohol while on treatment for quick recovery.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- If you experience severe diarrhoea with blood or fever after taking this medicine, stop the treatment immediately and consult the doctor.
- You have been taking other antibiotics or any supplements.
- You have severe liver disease. Caution is advised during the treatment.
Mode of Action of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Rifagut 550 tablet puts a stop to bacterial infection by inhibiting the growth process of bacterial cells. By doing so, the bacterial multiplication stops and the existing bacteria dies. As Rifagut 550 tablet passes into the intestines without getting absorbed in the bloodstream, it is primarily used to treat bacterial infections affecting the intestines.
Directions for Use of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
- The tablet is to be taken with a glass of water.
- The tablet is not supposed to be broken, crushed or chewed.
- Do not change your dose unless your doctor tells you to.
- Never stop this medicine on your own.
- Complete the entire course of the medicine, do not stop this medicine halfway, even if you feel better.
Interactions of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Tell your doctor about all the medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interactions.
- Especially, if you are taking other medicines like antibiotics (azithromycin, erythromycin), anti-epileptic medicines, medicines used for heart-related disorders, immunosuppressants like cyclosporin, anticoagulants like warfarin or oral contraceptives.Read less
- Rifagut 550 tablet might also interact with some vaccines like BCG and the cholera vaccine.
Interactions with food items
- The interaction of the Rifagut 550 tablet is established with grapefruit and its juice. So, the consumption of both of them should be avoided.
Storage and disposal of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
- Keep the medicine away from direct light, moisture and heat in a closed container.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pets.
- Discard outdated medicines and ask your doctor about how to dispose of the medicines.
Dosage of Rifagut 550mg Tablet
If you think you have taken too much of this medicine and experience any kind of unwanted symptoms, contact your doctor immediately.
Missed a Dose
In case if a dose has been missed, it is supposed to be taken as soon as you recall it. Do not take a double dose of this medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I drink fruit juices while taking the Rifagut 550 tablet?
A: You can consume fruit juices while taking the Rifagut 550 tablet except for grapefruit juice. The interaction of the Rifagut 550 tablet with grapefruit has been established in studies.
Q: I have lost appetite after taking the Rifagut 550 tablet prescription. Should I discontinue taking the Rifagut 550 tablet?
A: Loss of appetite is one of the most common Rifagut 550 tablet side effects. Talk to your doctor about the loss of appetite and follow his instructions on following the dosage.
Q: I am currently taking a prescription of diltiazem. Can I take Rifagut 550 tablet with it?
A: Rifagut 550 tablet composition is known to affect the therapeutic activity of diltiazem. Inform your doctor about your prescription drugs. He might make a change in the prescription if needed.
Q: Can I take Rifagut 550 tablet if I am suffering from constipation?
A: You should inform the doctor if you have constipation before taking the Rifagut 550 tablet prescription. Also, inform your doctor if you experience abdominal pain or blockage in the bowel.
Q: I am planning for pregnancy. Can I take Rifagut 550 tablet after I conceive a baby?
A: Rifagut 550 tablet is not recommended to be used by pregnant women. Talk to your doctor if you are planning to get pregnant.
Q: I recently had antibiotic-induced diarrhoea. Can I still take this medicine?
A: The therapeutic effects of this medicine might change in people suffering from diarrhoea caused by antibiotics. You should inform your doctor about your medical history.
Q: Rifagut 400 or Rifagut 550, which is a better medicine to treat diarrhoea?
A: Both the medicines contain Rifaximin as their active ingredient and are used to treat infectious diarrhoea. The doctor will prescribe you suitable medicine on the basis of the cause and severity of your infection. Therefore do not self-medicate or recommend the same to others.
Last Updated on: 02 Jul 2021 | 10:28 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved