Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
By MACLEODS PHARMACEUTICALS
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Omnacortil 5 Tablet is a steroid medication. The active ingredient is prednisolone. It is used for various allergies, immune system-related diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis. The entire course of this medicine should be completed as per the doctor's directions. It should not be discontinued abruptly. Side effects such as mood changes and behaviour disturbances, anxiety, forgetfulness, weakness, pimples and excessive hair growth can be experienced while using this medication. If you experience too many side effects or any uneasiness while using this medicine, then contact your doctor immediately.
Uses of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
Omnacortil 5 Tablet is used for the treatment and/or suppression of inflammatory and allergic disorders associated with different organs.
Contraindications of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to this medicine or steroids or any other ingredients of this medicine
- If you have any other infection and you are not taking any medicine to treat that infection
- If you are suffering from viral infection of eye caused by herpes virus
Side effects of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
- Feeling angry
- Mood swings
- Weight gain
- Increased risk of infections
- Reduced potassium levels
- Increased hair growth
- Increased sweating
- Weight gain
Precautions and Warnings of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
Can I take Omnacortil 5 Tablet during pregnancy?
- This medicine is not recommended in pregnant women as it may increase the risk of abnormalities in the newborn baby. However, it should only be taken when the doctor recommends after assessing the benefits of this medicine to pregnant women outweighs the risks to the unborn baby.read less
Can I take Omnacortil 5 Tablet while breastfeeding?
This medicine passes into the breast milk in small amounts. Thus, the use of this medicine is not recommended in breastfeeding mothers unless prescribed by doctor.
Can I drive if I have consumed Omnacortil 5 Tablet?
This medicine does not influence driving ability. However, side effects like confusion, sleep disturbances, anxiety have been noticed. Hence it is advised to be cautious and avoid driving in case you experience any of the side effects.
Can I consume alcohol with Omnacortil 5 Tablet?
Although there is no known interaction with alcohol, it is important to consult your doctor if you drink alcohol too often.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience any skin allergies and rise in blood sugar levels or you are diabetic.
- You experience mood disturbances, fits and other psychiatric problems
- You experience visual disturbances and eye infections. Upon long-term use, there is the probability that you may develop a cataract.
- You are elderly, you have a heart problem, high blood pressure and cholesterol, blood clotting problems, liver and kidney diseases.
- It can impair the fertility of an individual, be very cautious.
- You have a history of muscle weakness due to steroid therapy or have a condition called myasthenia gravis characterised by severe muscle weakness.
- This medicine may cause inflammation and swelling in different parts of your gut like the stomach, pancreas and can also cause ulcers.
- Children and adolescents receiving steroids should be observed for growth abnormalities as steroids can retard the growth.
- This medicine makes you more prone to infections, in case you already have an infection like a fungal infection, or you have measles or chickenpox, you are taking medicines to suppress immune response, discuss your condition with the doctor.read less
Mode of Action of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Prednisolone is a man made form of naturally occuring steroid called corticosteroids. Steroids are hormones produced in human body and responsible for normal body functions. It acts by suppressing the immune response in allergies and inflammation and during organ transplantation and helps in reducing symptoms such as pain, swelling and allergic-type reactions. Steroids play a critical role in maintaining normal body functions during stress.
Directions for Use of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
- Take this medicine as instructed by your doctor
- Do not stop taking this medicine on your own
Interactions of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Live vaccines should not be given while taking this medicine, as it can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine.
- Antacids and antibiotics such as rifamycin and erythromycin can reduce the effectiveness of this medicine when used together.
- Omnacortil 5 Tablet reduces the effect of medicines to treat fits like phenobarbital, phenytoin when used together.
- Antifungal medicines like amphotericin and ketoconazole, Female hormone-related medicines like ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone, antibiotics like troleandomycin and erythromycin, immune system-related medicines like ciclosporin, methotrexate may increase the risk of side effects of this medicine when used together.read less
- There is an increased risk of stomach bleeding if you are taking painkillers or aspirin along with this medicine.
- You should be cautious if you are taking any anti-diabetic medicine like insulin, medicines to stop blood clotting, water pills and thyroid medicine such as carbimazole and thiamazole, medicines for heart failure like digoxin.read less
- Somatropin, a growth hormone, if taken along, can inhibit its growth in an individual.
- Other medicines for treat asthma-like salbutamol may lead to an increase in potassium level in blood and you may experience irregular heartbeats.
Interactions with food items
Grapefruit Juice should be avoided while using this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
- Store this medicine below 25°C
- Keep it in original pack to protect it from catching moisture
- Keep out of the reach of children
Dosage of Omnacortil 5mg Tablet
Taking more than the prescribed dose can cause side effects like behaviour related changes, hallucinations, irregular heartbeats, irritation and anxiety. You must seek immediate medical assistance in case you have taken too much of this medicine.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this medicine take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I inform my healthcare provider before taking Omnacortil 5 Tablet?
A: It is important to inform your healthcare provider about your complete medical/surgical history, especially if you have any diseases like bleeding anomalies, fungal infections, kidney ailments or liver diseases.
Q: Can I stop taking this medicine on my own?
A: No steroids therapy should not be stopped abruptly as it can lead to psychological problems, your dose will be gradually reduced by your doctor before completely withdrawing this therapy.
Q: Can I take vaccine if I am taking Omnacortil?
A: Omnacortil 5 Tablet can reduce the effectiveness of some vaccines. Hence, it is best to consult your doctor before doing so.
Q: Is Omnacortil safe for children?
A: It should only be given to children if it is prescribed by the doctor and in the exact dose as prescribed under adult supervision. Giving steroids to children for long term treatment can impair the growth.
Q: How to reduce side effects of Omnacortil?
- Talk to your doctor about any specific side effect bothering you
- Your doctor may reduce the dose of your steroid medicine or suggest you an alternative route of administration
- Make healthy food choices and maintain an active lifestyle
- Taking steroids for too long can affect your bone health, consult your doctor if you can take Vitamin D and calcium supplement
- Never stop taking this medicine abruptly as it can aggravate the side effects your doctor will reduce the dose gradually
Q: Can corticosteroid Omnacortil helps to grow hair?
A: No, this medicine doesn’t help in hair growth. Hair loss can be due to different reasons and sometimes it can be hormonal as well. Consult a specialist for better information on the cause of hair loss. Do not take this medicine on your own for any condition which is not prescribed by your doctor.
Q: Can I take Omnacortil for a sore throat?
A: No, it is not advisable to use this medicine for a sore throat. Self-medication should be strictly avoided. It is recommended to consult a doctor before using this medicine.
Last Updated on: 28 Oct 2020 | 05:40 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved