Formin Sr 1gm Tablet
By ALKEM LABORATORIES LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
30 days return policyRead More
The composition of Formin Sr 1gm Tab contains metformin, which belongs to biguanide group of medicines. It is used to treat diabetes mellitus.
Uses of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
- Formin Sr 1gm Tab is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Contraindications of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus
- Liver Disease
- Kidney Disease (severe)
- Heart failure
- Severe respiratory disease
- If you are a heavy drinker of alcohol
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to this medicine
- If you have a severe infection, such as infections of lung or your kidney.
Side effects of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
- Loss of appetite
- Stomach ache
- Mild diarrhoea
- Altered taste sensation
- Decreased vitamin B12 levels
- Skin rashes, redness, itching, and hives
- Weight loss
- Lactic acidosis (severe side effect)
- Low blood sugar level, if prescribed along with any other anti-diabetic medication
- Abnormal liver function tests - if you notice yellowing of the eyes or skin, consult your doctor immediately
Precautions and Warnings of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
Can I take the medicine during pregnancy?
This medicine should not be taken in pregnancy unless prescribed by a doctor.
Can I take the medicine while breastfeeding?
the medicine should not be taken while breastfeeding, as this medicine is known to pass into breast milk.
Can I drive if I have consumed the medicine?
the medicine may cause faintness, confusion, and increased sweating, if taken along with other antidiabetic agents. In this case, you should take care while driving and keep a juice or chocolate handy.
Can I consume alcohol with the medicine?
Excessive intake of alcohol should be avoided while taking this medicine as alcohol lowers blood sugar level and increases the risk of lactic acidosis.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You ever had kidney disease, high ketone levels in your blood or urine, heart disease, liver disease, or are taking insulin or any other anti-diabetic medication
- You have dehydration because of conditions such as vomiting and diarrhoea
- You are pregnant, as dose needs will be different for each trimester
Mode of Action of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
How Does It Work?
Pancrease produces a hormone called insulin, whose purpose is to transfer blood glucose into cells. In diabetes mellitus, the pancreas is not able to synthesize enough insulin or your body is not able to utilize it properly, which causes an increased level of blood glucose. This medicine decreases the amount of glucose absorbed from the intestine and facilitates the entry of glucose into the cells.
Directions for Use of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
The dosage of Formin Sr 1gm Tab is to be taken orally with the meals unless stated otherwise by your physician. You should swallow it whole with a glass of water. Follow all the instructions of your physician.
Interactions of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- Birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy
- Diet medicines or medicines to treat asthma, colds, or allergies
- Increased urine production (a diuretic)
- Heart or blood pressure medications
- Steroids (prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone, and others)
- Thyroid medicine
- Medicines like furosemide and cimetidine can increase the side effects of this medicine
- Your physician will request you to stop taking this medicine, if you need to have an injection of iodine-containing contrast medium into your bloodstream, for an X-ray or scan, before or at the time of injectionread less
- Use of medicines given to treat pain and inflammation (NSAID and COX-2 inhibitors, such as ibuprofen and celecoxib) should be avoided
Interactions with food items
Long-term use of this medicine reduces the absorption of vitamin B12. Therefore, an annual screening of vitamin B12 levels is recommended to determine the need for vitamin B12 injections.
Other general Interactions
- Formin Sr 1gm Tab should not be used if you have severe kidney disease or metabolic acidosis as it may stimulate ovulation in a premenopausal woman and may increase the chance of unintended pregnancy
Storage and disposal of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
This medicine should be kept at room temperature, away from heat, light, and moisture.
Dosage of Formin Sr 1gm Tab
An overdose of this medicine may cause lactic acidosis, whose symptoms includes vomiting, stomach ache, muscle cramps, and difficulty in breathing. Seek immediate medical aid if you suspect an overdose.
Missed a Dose
If you missed a dose, take it as soon as possible with the meal. However, if it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What should I avoid if I take Formin Sr 1gm Tab?
A: You should avoid alcohol in excess amount while taking this medicine.
Q: What should I take care of while taking this medicine?
A: Diet and exercise are an important part of the management of diabetes mellitus, along with taking this medicine.
Other Variants for
Formin Sr 1gm Tab
Last Updated on: 15 Aug 2020 | 06:19 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
- Side effects
- Precautions and Warnings
- Mode of Action
- Directions for Use
- Storage and disposal
- Other Variants
Offers Just for you
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2020 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved