Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
By IPCA LABORATORIES
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Folitrax 5 mg tablet contains Methotrexate, which is an anti-neoplastic (a medicine that kills cells in tumours and cancers and suppresses the immune system). It is used in treating psoriasis (a skin condition), rheumatoid arthritis. This tablet is also used in different types of cancer. Take this medicine as prescribed by your doctor for the exact duration. Before starting this medicine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy or breastfeeding and about all the medicines and supplements you take and all the conditions or diseases you suffer from.
Uses of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Folitrax 5 mg tablet is used to treat psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It is also used in various types of cancers such as breast and lung cancers.
- Folitrax 5 mg tablet can also be used as a single agent or in combination with anti-cancer medications.
Contraindications of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- If you are allergic to Methotrexate or any other ingredients of Folitrax 5 mg tablet.
- If you are pregnant and breastfeeding.
- If you have severe liver or kidney disease.
- If you have decreased platelet and white blood cell counts.
- If you had a recent injection with a live vaccine.
- If you have ulcers in the mouth.
Side effects of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Mouth ulcers
- Skin rash
- Additional side effects of the medicine include menstrual problems, persistent cough, joint and muscle pain, stomach pain, swelling of the feet, yellowing of the skin (liver damage), fever with chills, unusual bleeding, blurred vision, temporary hair loss, loss of appetite, difficulty in passing urine, nausea or vomiting and decrease white blood cell count.read less
Precautions and Warnings of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Can I take Folitrax 5 mg tablet during pregnancy?
It is highly unsafe to take Folitrax 5 mg tablet during pregnancy, as studies have shown significant side-effects on the unborn baby such as birth defects or miscarriage. If you are a woman of childbearing age, strictly use contraception and avoid pregnancy.
Can I take Folitrax 5 mg tablet while breastfeeding?
Folitrax 5 mg tablet should strictly not be taken during breastfeeding. It is important to consult the doctor before using any medication while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Folitrax 5 mg tablet?
Folitrax 5 mg tablet may cause a dizzy or drowsy feeling and can also blur your vision. Hence, avoid driving if you do not feel well or are unable to be alert.
Can I consume alcohol with Folitrax 5 mg tablet?
Alcohol should be avoided while taking Folitrax 5 mg tablet, as it increases the chances of damaging your liver.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from kidney disease.
- You have ulcers in the stomach.
- You have diabetes mellitus.
- You have recently undergone live vaccine therapy.
- You are suffering from any infections.
- You develop a cough with blood or pink-coloured sputum.
- Regular health check-ups are required with long-term usage of the medicine.
- You should avoid having a baby at least six months after stopping Folitrax 5 mg tablet as it affects sperm and egg production.
Mode of Action of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
How Does It Work?
Methotrexate in Folitrax 5 mg tablet works by stopping or slowing down the rapid growth of cancer cells and suppressing the immune system in rheumatoid arthritis. The suppression decreases swelling, pain and stiffness and improves function.
Directions for Use of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Folitrax 5 mg tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water while sitting upright or standing. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Folitrax 5 mg tablet may interact with other medicines. Discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled.read less
- Using Folitrax 5 mg tablet with certain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen, aceclofenac, acemetacin and diclofenac can cause severe and sometimes fatal bone marrow suppression, aplastic anaemia (in which the body stops making new blood cells) and gastrointestinal toxicity.read less
- When used along with radiotherapy, Methotrexate may increase the risk of cell death in soft tissues and bones.
- Live vaccines can interact with Methotrexate.
- Cyclosporin used in organ transplantation can also be inappropriate to take with Folitrax 5 mg tablet.
Storage and disposal of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Store Folitrax 5 mg tablets in a cool and dry place, protected from direct sunlight, moisture and heat.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
- Do not use expired or damaged medicines.
- Discard unused medicine properly. Do not flush it in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Folitrax 5mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
In overdose, vomiting, diarrhoea and gastrointestinal bleeding may occur. Suppression of the bone marrow suppression may occur in severe cases. Liver toxicity is more likely in patients with pre-existing risk factors for liver disease. Patients may have symptoms, such as sudden shortness of breath, dry, persistent cough and fever. A single overdose also has shown this fatal side effect. Several deaths have been reported globally from methotrexate overdose due to accidental intake of the medicine daily instead of once a week dose as prescribed. Seek urgent medical help in case of overdose with Folitrax 5 mg tablet.
Missed a Dose
The missed dose should be taken as soon as remembered. Skip the missed dose if it is time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take an extra dose of medicine to compensate for the missed dose. Be very careful with the dose in terms of strength and duration spacing of this medicine. Strictly adhere to your prescribed dose of medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Folitrax 5 mg tablet cause excessive sweating?
A: Kidney damage may occur with Methotrexate. High fluid intake is recommended with this medicine, particularly if one exercises or is physically active. Connect with your doctor in case of dehydration. Excessive sweating, vomiting, diarrhoea or fever may cause dehydration.
Q: Should I stop taking Folitrax 5 mg tablet with dental medications?
A: You can continue Folitrax 5 mg tablet with these medications.
Q: Can I take anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) and aspirin while on treatment with Folitrax 5 mg tablet?
A: The dosages of methotrexate prescribed for the treatment of arthritis are not harmful. Since theoretical interactions between Methotrexate and NSAID are known, the long-term usage of anti-inflammatory medication is associated with high risks of gastric, kidney and cardiovascular problems and should be avoided if possible.
Q: Why do I need to take Folic acid after Folitrax 5 mg tablet each week?
A: Folic acid can reduce or improve the side-effects, such as mouth ulcers, caused by Methotrexate.
Q: What should I do if I have diarrhoea and vomiting after taking Folitrax 5 mg tablet?
A: You could avoid the rheumatology medication if the symptoms are persistent and resume the medication after the symptoms have improved. However, if the symptoms re-occur, it may be due to the treatment. The Methotrexate dosage form can be revised from oral to an injectable form given subcutaneously. The injection dosage may not come in contact with the gastrointestinal system, making you less susceptible to side-effects of nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. Discuss with your doctor for further details before stopping or avoiding the intake of Methotrexate.
- WebMD. Methotrexate. [Accessed on 05.Dec.2020] (online)
- Electronic Medicines Compendium. Maxtrex 2.5 mg Tablets. [Accessed on 05.Dec.2020] (online)
- LactMed. Methotrexate. [Accessed on 05.Dec.2020] (online)
- DailyMed. METHOTREXATE - methotrexate sodium injection, powder, lyophilized, for solution. [Accessed on 05.Dec.2020] (online)
Other Products from this Brand
- Folitrax 10 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Folitrax 7 5 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Folitrax 2 5 Mg Strip Of 10 Tablets
- Folitrax 15 Mg Tablet
- Folitrax 25 Mg Injection 1 Ml
- Folitrax 50 Mg Injection 2 Ml
- Folitrax 15 Mg Injection 1 Ml
- Folitrax 20 Mg Strip Of 4 Tablets
- Folitrax 25 Mg Strip Of 4 Tablets
- Folitrax 20 Mg Injection 1 Ml
- Folitrax 7 5 Mg Injection
Last Updated on: 05 Dec 2020 | 01:57 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 25% Off on first medicine order
Up to Rs.500 cashback By Bank of Baroda + Flat 25% Off on first medicine order
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved