Flagyl 400mg Tablet
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Flagyl 400 tablet is an anti-infective medicine, which is used against bacteria and parasites. Flagyl 400 tablet is used to treat bacterial or parasitic infections of parts of the body caused by patho
gens such as amoeba, trichomonas and giardia. Flagyl 400 tablet contains metronidazole as an active ingredient. It inhibits the growth of an organism that causes infection. You must not stop taking the medicine without the knowledge of the doctor and must complete the treatment with the medicine for optimal results....
Uses of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Flagyl 400 tablet is used in the treatment of diarrhoea or dysentery due to parasitic infections like amoebiasis.
- For sexually transmitted infections like urogenital trichomoniasis or giardiasis.
- For the treatment of infections of the gums, teeth and skin due to infective microorganisms.
Contraindications of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to Metronidazole or other ingredients of Flagyl 400 tablet.
- If you are pregnant (first trimester) or suffering from a bacterial infection in the vagina.
- If you are breastfeeding, discontinue breastfeeding until 12 – 24 hours after treatment.
Side effects of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Abdominal cramps
- Eating disorder
- Unpleasant taste
- Stomach discomfort
Precautions and Warnings of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
Can I take Flagyl 400 tablet during pregnancy?
Flagyl 400 tablet must not be used during pregnancy, especially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. The doctor may prescribe you the medicine after accessing whether the benefits overweigh the risks or not.
Can I take Flagyl 400 tablet while breastfeeding?
Avoid breastfeeding during the treatment with Flagyl 400 tablet and for at least a day after the treatment has been discontinued.
Can I drive after consuming Flagyl 400 tablet?
You experience dizziness, drowsy, confusion, hallucination, visual disturbance or sometimes fits. So, be cautious while driving or operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol while taking Flagyl 400 tablet?
The consumption of alcohol along with the medicine leads to the chances of a disulfiram-like reaction. You may feel low blood pressure, hot flushes, nausea, shortness of breath and giddiness. Avoid alcohol consumption during the treatment. You must not be consuming alcohol during the treatment and at least for 48 hours after the treatment with Flagyl 400.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You suffer from blood disorders like blood-fluid imbalance (dyscrasias) or porphyria.
- You had or have fits or epilepsy as caution is advised to such patients.
- You are taking the medicine for more than 10 days as regular clinical and laboratory monitoring is advised.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You experience infection after taking the medicine.
- You have peripheral neuropathy (abnormal, painful sensations like pins and needles).
- You suffer from kidney disease or you are on dialysis.
- You suffer from Cockayne syndrome (growth retardation, impaired development of the brain and sensitivity to sunlight).
- You suffer from a liver problem, frequent monitoring of liver function is required.
- You are an alcoholic, avoid consuming alcohol during the treatment and at least after 48 hours of discontinuation of treatment.
Mode of Action of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Flagyl 400 tablet stops the growth of bacteria and parasites which are responsible for infection by interrupting their vital process such as DNA synthesis and causing the DNA strands to break.
Directions for Use of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
Take Flagyl 400 tablet as instructed by the doctor. It must be swallowed with water during or after the meals.
Interactions of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines affect the way Flagyl 400 tablet works or Flagyl 400 tablet itself reduces the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Flagyl 400 tablet when taking along with lithium which is used to treat psychiatric disorders causes kidney damage.
- Concomitant use of Flagyl 400 tablet with anticoagulants like warfarin may potentiate the anticoagulant effects.
- Concomitant use of disulfiram which is used to treat alcohol addiction causes mental disorders like hallucinations, etc.
- Concomitant use of the medicine reduces the efficacy of oral contraceptives. A physical barrier must be used for effective contraception.
- Be cautious if you are taking immunosuppressants like cyclosporine along with Flagyl 400 tablet as it increases the levels of cyclosporine in the body.
- Other medicines that affect the activity of Flagyl 400 tablet are fluorouracil, antacids like cimetidine, fluorouracil to treat cancer, phenytoin or primidone to treat fits or epilepsy.
Storage and disposal of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Store at a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
- Keep it away from children and pets.
Dosage of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
Symptoms of an overdose of Flagyl 400 tablet include nausea, vomiting, Diarrhoea, weight loss, disturbance in taste, headache, dizziness, drowsiness and lack of sleep. If you think you have taken too
much of the medicine, contact the doctor or visit the nearest hospital....
Missed a Dose
If you have missed taking a dose of the medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with the regular dose schedule. Avoid taking a doub
le dose to compensate for the missed one....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: For how long should I use the medicine?
A: Follow the prescribed dosage duration. Prolonged use of the medicine may enhance the side effects like nerve damage.
Q: Can I take Flagyl 400 tablet on an empty stomach?
A: No, you must take the medicine with or after taking food.
Q: Is it safe to consume Flagyl 400 during pregnancy?
A: No, you must not take the medicine during pregnancy.
Q: Can I consume alcohol after taking or during the treatment with Flagyl 400 tablet?
A: No, avoid alcohol while on treatment with the medicine and at least for 48hrs after finishing the course of the medicine.
Q: What are the effects if I consume the Flagyl 400 tablets in excess?
A: Flagyl 400 is an antiinfective medicine. If you take in excess for a prolonged duration, it causes harm to the useful bacteria of the gut and puts you at the risk of other ailments. It may also make the medicine ineffective for future treatment.
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 26 August 2021]
- Metronidazole 500 mg Film-Coated Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 26 August 2021]
- Metronidazole. In: Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006 [cited 26 August 2021]
- Flagyl [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2021 [cited 26 August 2021]
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 27 Aug 2021 | 12:44 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved