Flagyl 400mg Tablet
By ABBOTT HEALTHCARE PVT LTD
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
1 Brand Options Available
Save Upto 8% more
Certified by Doctors
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Flagyl 400 mg tablet is an anti-infective medicine, which is used against various bacteria and parasites. It is used to treat infection of various parts of the body caused by amoeba, trichomonas and giardia. Flagyl 400 mg tablet contains Metronidazole as its active ingredient. It works by inhibiting the growth of an organism that causes infection. You must not stop taking this medicine without the knowledge of your doctor and should complete the treatment with this medicine for optimal results.
Uses of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Flagyl 400 mg tablet is used in the treatment of diarrhoea or dysentery due to parasitic infections such as amoebiasis.
- It is used to prevent and treat sexually transmitted infections such as urogenital trichomoniasis or giardiasis.
- It is also used in treating infections of the gums, teeth and skin due to various infective microorganisms.
Contraindications of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to Metronidazole or any of the ingredients of this medicine
- If you are pregnant (first trimester) or if you have a bacterial infection in the vagina
- If you are breastfeeding, discontinue breast-feeding until 12 – 24 hours after treatment
Side effects of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Abdominal cramps
- Eating disorder
- Unpleasant taste
- Pain or stomach discomfort
Precautions and Warnings of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
Can I take Flagyl 400 mg tablet during pregnancy?
Flagyl 400 mg tablet should not be used during pregnancy, especially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. However, the doctor may prescribe you with this medicine after accessing the benefit of the treatment over risk to the baby.
Can I take Flagyl 400 mg tablet while breastfeeding?
It is advised not to breastfeed during the treatment with Flagyl 400 mg tablet and for at least for a day after the treatment has been discontinued.
Can I drive if I have consumed Flagyl 400 mg tablet?
You may feel dizzy, drowsy, confusion, hallucination, visual disturbance or sometimes fits. So, it is advised to be cautious while driving or operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Flagyl 400 mg tablet?
The consumption of alcohol along with this medicine can lead to the chances of disulfiram-like reaction. You may feel low blood pressure, hot flushes, nausea, shortness of breath and sometimes giddiness. It is advised to avoid alcohol consumption during the treatment. You should not be consuming alcohol during the treatment and at least for 48 hours after the treatment with Flagyl 400.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from blood disorders like blood-fluid imbalance (dyscrasias) or porphyria.
- You had or have a history of fits or epilepsy as caution is advised to such patients.
- You are taking this medicine for more than 10 days as regular clinical and laboratory monitoring is advised.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You experience another infection after taking this medicine.
- You have peripheral neuropathy (abnormal, painful sensations such as pins and needles).
- You have kidney disease or you are on dialysis.
- You have Cockayne syndrome (growth retardation, impaired development of the brain and sensitivity to sunlight).
- You have a liver problem, frequent monitoring of liver function is required.
- You are an alcoholic as you are not supposed to consume alcohol during the treatment and at least after 48 hours of discontinuation of treatment.
Mode of Action of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Flagyl 400 mg tablet acts by stopping the growth of certain bacteria and parasites which are responsible for infection by interrupting the DNA and causing the DNA strands to break.
Directions for Use of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Take Flagyl 400 mg tablet as instructed by your doctor
- It should be swallowed with water during or after the meals
Interactions of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Flagyl 400 mg tablet when taking along with Lithium which is used to treat psychiatric disorders can cause kidney damage.
- Concomitant use of Flagyl 400 mg tablet with anticoagulants like Warfarin may potentiate the anticoagulant effects.
- Concomitant use of disulfiram which is used to treat alcohol addiction can cause mental disorders like hallucinations, etc.
- Concomitant use of this medicine can reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives. Thus, a physical barrier should be used for effective contraception.
- Be cautious if you are taking immunosuppressants like Calong with Flagyl 400 mg tablet as it can increase the levels of ciclosporin in the body.
- Other medicines which may affect the activity of Flagyl 400 mg tablet are Fluorouracil, antacids like Cimetidine, Fluorouracil to treat cancer, Phenytoin or Primidone to treat fits or epilepsy.
Storage and disposal of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
- Store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets
Dosage of Flagyl 400mg Tablet
The symptoms of an overdose of Flagyl 400 mg tablet include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss, disturbance in taste, headache, dizziness, drowsiness and lack of sleep. If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: For how long should I take this medicine?
A: It is advised to follow the prescribed dosage duration. Prolonged use of this medicine may enhance the side effects like nerve damage.
Q: Can I take Flagyl 400 mg tablet empty stomach?
A: No, you should take this medicine with or after taking food.
Q: Is it safe to take Flagyl 400 during pregnancy?
A: No, you should not take this medicine during pregnancy.
Q: Can I drink alcohol after taking or during the treatment with Flagyl 400 mg tablet?
A: No, you should not drink alcohol while on treatment with this medicine and at least for 48hrs after finishing the course of this medicine.
Q: What happens if I keep on taking Flagyl 400 mg tablets?
A: Flagyl 400 is an antibiotic medicine. If you keep on taking it for a prolonged duration, it can cause harm to the useful bacteria of your gut and puts you at the risk of other ailments.
Q: Is Flagyl tablet safe for use?
A: Yes, Flagyl tablet is safe for use when taken under medical supervision. However, in some patients, it may show allergic reactions; it should not be taken if one is allergic to metronidazole, pregnant or breastfeeding. Inform your doctor if you have liver, kidney disease or history of fits, or you are an alcoholic.
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 05 Apr 2021 | 10:36 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 20% off + 20% cashback on your 1st medicine order
Flat Rs.150 instant discount on HDFC Bank Debit and Credit cards
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved