Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
By J B CHEMICALS AND PHARMACEUTICALS
15 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Metrogyl 400 tablet is an anti-infective medicine. It is used in treating infections of various parts of the body caused by many microorganisms, including bacteria and amoeba-like organisms (protozoan parasites). Metrogyl 400 tablet contains Metronidazole as its active ingredient. This medicine is not recommended to be used by pregnant women and lactating mothers and should be used with caution in elderly patients. Metrogyl 400 tablet should be taken as instructed by the doctor. You should not miss any dose of this medicine and should complete the entire treatment with this medicine as prescribed by the doctor and should not stop taking this medicine abruptly, even if you feel better.
Uses of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Metrogyl 400 Tablet is used to treat diarrhoea or dysentery due to parasitic infections such as amoebiasis.
- It is used to prevent sexually transmitted infections such as urogenital trichomoniasis or giardiasis.
- It is also used to treat infections of the gums, teeth and skin due to various infective microorganisms.
Contraindications of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- If you are allergic to Metronidazole or any of the ingredients of Metrogyl 400 mg tablet.
- If you are pregnant (first trimester) or if you have a bacterial infection in the vagina.
- If you are breastfeeding, discontinue breast-feeding until 12-24 hours after treatment.
Side effects of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Abdominal cramps
- Eating disorder
- Unpleasant taste
- Pain or stomach discomfort
Precautions and Warnings of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
Can I take Metrogyl 400 Tablet during pregnancy?
Metrogyl 400 mg tablet should not be used during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester (first 3 months) of pregnancy. However, the doctor may prescribe you with this medicine after accessing the benefit of the treatment over risk.
Can I take Metrogyl 400 Tablet while breastfeeding?
It is advised not to breastfeed during the treatment with Metrogyl 400 mg tablets and for at least a day after the treatment has been discontinued.
Can I drive if I have consumed Metrogyl 400 Tablet?
You may experience dizziness, drowsiness, visual disturbances, confusion and sometimes may also have fits while on treatment with Metrogyl 400 mg tablets, hence it is recommended that you avoid driving or operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with Metrogyl 400 Tablet?
It is unsafe for you to consume alcohol while on treatment with Metrogyl 400 mg tablet as it may cause worsen your condition. You should avoid consuming alcohol for at least 48 hours after treatment with this tablet.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You are suffering from blood disorders like blood-fluid imbalance (dyscrasias) or porphyria.
- You had or have a history of fits or epilepsy as caution is advised to such patients.
- You are taking this tablet for more than 10 days as regular clinical and laboratory monitoring is advised.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- You experience another infection after taking Metrogyl 400 mg tablets.
- You have peripheral neuropathy (abnormal, painful sensations such as pins and needles).
- You have kidney disease or you are on dialysis.
- You have Cockayne syndrome (growth retardation, impaired development of the brain and sensitivity to sunlight).
- You have a liver problem, frequent monitoring of liver function is required.
- You are an alcoholic as you are not supposed to consume alcohol during the treatment and at least after 48 hours of discontinuation of treatment.
Mode of Action of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
How Does It Work?
Metrogyl 400 mg tablet acts by stopping the growth of certain bacteria and parasites which are responsible for infection by interrupting the DNA and causing the DNA strands to break.
Directions for Use of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
Metrogyl 400 mg tablets should be taken as directed by your doctor. Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It can be taken during or after meals. It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results and should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Metrogyl 400 tablet when taking along with Lithium which is used to treat psychiatric disorders can cause kidney damage.
- Concomitant use of Metrogyl 400 tablet with anticoagulants like Warfarin may potentiate the anticoagulant effects.
- Concomitant use of disulfiram which is used to treat alcohol addiction can cause mental disorders like hallucinations, etc.
- Concomitant use of this medicine can reduce the efficacy of oral contraceptives. Thus, a physical barrier should be used for effective contraception.
- Be cautious if you are taking immunosuppressants like Calong with Metrogyl 400 tablet as it can increase the levels of ciclosporin in the body.
- Other medicines which may affect the activity of Metrogyl 400 tablet are Fluorouracil, antacids like Cimetidine, Fluorouracil to treat cancer, Phenytoin or Primidone to treat fits or epilepsy.
Interactions with food items
Metrogyl 400 mg tablet can be taken with or after having your meal.
Storage and disposal of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
- Store Metrogyl 400 mg tablets in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do not use expired or damaged medicines.
- Discard any unused medicine properly. Do not flush in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Metrogyl 400mg Strip Of 15 Tablets
The symptoms of an overdose of Metrogyl 400 tablet include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss, disturbance in taste, headache, dizziness, drowsiness and lack of sleep. If you think you have taken too much of this medicine, contact your doctor immediately or visit the nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
If you missed any dose of this medicine, take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do not take a double dose of medicine to compensate for the missed one.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: For how long should I take Metrogyl 400 tablet?
A: The dose and duration of Metrogyl 400 mg tablet will depend on the response to treatment. Follow your doctor's instructions and do not stop taking this medicine on your own. Prolonged use of this medicine may enhance the side effects like nerve damage.
Q: Can I take Metrogyl 400 tablet empty stomach?
A: No, you should take Metrogyl 400 mg tablet with or after taking food.
Q: Is Metrogyl 400 mg tablet addictive?
A: No, Metrogyl 400 mg tablet is not an addiction causing medicine. However, it should be used as per the dose and duration prescribed by your doctor.
Q: Can I drink alcohol after taking or during the treatment with Metrogyl 400 tablet?
A: No, you should not drink alcohol while on treatment with Metrogyl 400 mg tablet and at least for 48hrs after finishing the course of this medicine.
Q: What happens if I keep on taking Metrogyl 400 tablets?
A: Metrogyl 400 is an antibiotic medicine. If you keep on taking it for a prolonged duration, it can cause harm to the useful bacteria of your gut and puts you at the risk of other ailments.
Q: Can Metrogyl be taken for loose motions?
A: Yes, metronidazole can be used for loose motions. However, it is recommended to consult a doctor and avoid self-medication.
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 03 Mar 2021 | 11:18 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Offers Just for you
Flat 25% Off on first medicine order
Upto Rs.600 cashback on Paytm wallet + Flat 25% off on your first medicine order
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved