Femilon Tablet Description
Femilon tablet is used as a birth control pill for females. This medicine may change the pattern of vaginal bleeding like intensity, frequency and duration. Femilon tablet is a combination medicine c
ontaining desogestrel and ethinylestradiol. It should be taken as directed by the doctor and in doses and duration as prescribed. The common side effects of this medicine are altered mood, headache, nausea, pain in the abdomen, breast pain and an increase in weight. Do not use the Femilon tablet if you are pregnant or are likely to be pregnant if you are breastfeeding your child and for children below 18 years of age. Always observe and inform your doctor about various risk factors and symptoms related to vascular blood clot formation, liver disease, heart disease, fit attacks before starting this medicine and after taking it.
Uses of Femilon Tablet
Contraindications of Femilon Tablet
- If you are allergic to any of the components of Femilon tablet.
- If you are at a high risk of vascular blood clot formation.
- If you have a family history of blood clot formation.
- If you have undergone major surgery followed by bedridden for a long time.
- If you have/had heart diseases such as a heart attack or chest pain.
- If you have a history of paralysis.
- If you have low blood circulation to the brain.
- If you have a high blood sugar level.
- If you have high blood pressure.
- If you have dysfunction of the liver and pancreas.
- If you have tumours of the liver.
- If you have female-hormone dependent tumours.
- If you experience unknown bleeding from the vagina, pregnant or are likely to be pregnant should not use this medicine.
Side effects of Femilon Tablet
- Pain in the abdomen
- Altered mood
- Tenderness in the breast
- Increase in weight
Precautions and Warnings of Femilon Tablet
Other General Warnings
- You experience breathlessness or a sudden cough.
- You are a smoker.
- You an obese person.
- You have altered lipid levels.
- You have liver disorders.
- You have mood swings.
- You experience fit attacks.
- You develop any allergic reaction after taking Femilon tablet.
Mode of Action of Femilon Tablet
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Femilon Tablet
Interactions of Femilon Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Always inform your doctor about all the medicines you are taking, which includes all prescribed or non-prescribed herbal medicines, dietary supplements as well as other treatments if you are taking for any disorders....
- Some antivirals medicines like ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir are not to be used along with Femilon tablet.
- Taking Femilon tablet along with other medicines without a doctor’s advice can lead to vaginal bleeding and failure of the effectiveness of this medicine.
- Some fits medicines like phenytoin, carbamazepine, and phenobarbital while other tuberculosis medicines like rifampicin, rifabutin should not be used along with this medicine without prior consultation with your doctor. ...
- Some other medicines like griseofulvin, modafinil and antiviral medicines including HIV medicines are not to be used along with this medicine.
- Antifungal medicines like ketoconazole, itraconazole, fluconazole are not to be used without a doctor’s advice along with Femilon tablet.
Storage and disposal of Femilon Tablet
- Store Femilon tablet below 25°C in the original packaging to protect it from moisture and light.
- Keep this medicine out of sight and reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after its expiry date.
- Do not throw away any medicines via wastewater or household waste.
Dosage of Femilon Tablet
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Femilon tablet prevent the chances of developing HIV infection?
Q: Is Femilon tablet a habit-forming medicine?
Q: I am using Femilon tablet since the last 5 months as advised by my doctor. But will it affect my ability to get pregnant in the future?
Q: Does Femilon tablet cause weight gain?
Q: Is Femilon tablet a contraceptive pill?
Q: When do we use the Femilon tablet?
Q: Can I take Femilon tablet for irregular periods?
Q: When should I take Femilon tablet?
Q: Does Femilon cause breast pain?
Q: Is Femilon good for PCOS?
- Bimizza 150 microgram/20 microgram Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 11 April 2022]
- Bimizza 150 microgram/20 microgram Tablets - Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 11 April 2022]
- Desogestrol and Ethinylestradiol - CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 11 April 2022]