Clonil 10mg Tablet
Clonil 10 MG Description
Clonil 10 mg Tablet belongs to the class of tricyclic antidepressants. Tricyclic antidepressants increase the concentration of chemical substances like serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain. It a
ids in the treatment of conditions like obsessive-compulsive disorder, narcolepsy (excessive sleepiness during daytime), panic disorders, and depression. Clonil 10 mg Tablets should be taken at a fixed time each day to maintain the balance between the chemical substances in the brain. The most common side effects associated with Clonil 10 mg Tablet are constipation, decrease in sexual desire, difficulty in urination, fatigue, drowsiness, decreased appetite, and tremors. Most of the side effects are mild and should not interfere with your day-to-day activities. However, if the side effects increase in severity, you should consult a doctor. You should continuously monitor your symptoms. If you notice any drastic change in your behaviour or experience the emergence of suicidal thoughts or thoughts related to self-harm after taking Clonil Tabs, you should inform your doctor immediately. You should take this medicine at a dose and for a duration as advised by the doctor.
|You Save||₹4.22 (15% on MRP)|
|Uses||obsessive-compulsive disorder, depression, panic disorder, narcolepsy|
|Side effects||fatigue, dizziness, tremors, decrease in sexual activity, constipation, urinary incontinence|
Uses of Clonil 10 MG
- Treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Treatment of panic disorders
- Treatment of narcolepsy (excessive daytime sleepiness)
- Treatment of depression
Contraindications of Clonil 10 MG
- If you have had allergic reactions to the active or inactive ingredients of Clonil 10 mg Tabs in the past.
- If you are currently taking Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) or have taken them in the past 14 days.
- If you have a pre-existing heart condition.
- If you have a pre-existing liver condition.
Side effects of Clonil 10 MG
- Blurred vision
- Peripheral neuropathy (sensation of tingling and burning in the hands and feet)
- Difficulty in urination
- Decrease in sexual desire
- Loss of appetite
- Weight gain
Precautions and Warnings of Clonil 10 MG
Other General Warnings
- You experience drastic changes in mood or behaviour, have self-harmful or suicidal thoughts.
- You have angle-closure glaucoma.
- You conceive during the course of Clonil Tab or are planning a pregnancy.
- You are above 65 years of age. A dose modification may be required according to any underlying condition you may have.
- You have a pre-existing kidney condition. This medicine is primarily excreted through urine. Hence, a decrease in the excretion of the medicine can increase its concentration in the body.
- Clonil Tab can cause weight gain. You should monitor your weight regularly and indulge in physical activities to prevent excessive weight gain.
Mode of Action of Clonil 10 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Clonil 10 MG
- Take Clonil Tablets exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage of Clonil Tabs.
- Ensure that you complete the prescribed course of treatment.
- Do not discontinue the use of Clonil Tablets without consulting your physician first.
Interactions of Clonil 10 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Clonil Tablets are known to interact with the following medicines:
- Antidepressants (bupropion, fluoxetine) cause drowsiness and impairment in judgement.
- Antiepileptics (phenytoin) as it decreases the efficacy of Clonil 10 mg Tablets.
- Anti-malaria medication (Quinidine) as the combination can cause abnormalities in the heart.
- Barbiturate(phenobarbital or secobarbital) as it causes sedation when used with Clonil 10 mg Tablets.
- Medicines used in the treatment of urine incontinence (darifenacin, fesoterodine, oxybutynin, tolterodine) as they become ineffective in the presence of Clonil 10 mg tablets.
- Bronchodilators(ipratropium or tiotropium) as it can increase the chances of tremors.
- Antihistamines(cetirizine) as they cause drowsiness.
- Cough medicine (dextromethorphan) as it increases the chances of drowsiness and dryness of the mouth.
- Antiarrhythmics (propafenone, flecainide) as the combination can increase the chances of palpitations and abnormalities in the heart rhythm.
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) like tranylcypromine, selegiline can cause severe adverse effects like flushing, low blood pressure levels, coma, and can eventually cause death.
- Antifungals(ketoconazole) as Clonil 10 mg Tablets decrease the efficacy of the medicine.
- Antacids (cimetidine, omeprazole) as it decreases the absorption of the Clonil 10 mg tablets.
- Medicines used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, such as ropinirole, if taken with Clonil 10 mg Tablets can increase the symptoms of Parkinson's disease like tremors, bradykinesia.
Interactions with food items
- Clonil 10 mg Tablet does not have any known adverse reaction with the food. It can be taken before or after taking food.
Storage and disposal of Clonil 10 MG
Dosage of Clonil 10 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr Tuhina Mishra
Dr. Jagruti Jain
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.N.B., General Medicine
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can Clonil 10 mg Tablet affect my sexual health?
Q: When should I stop taking Clonil 10 mg Tablets?
Q: Can Clonil 10 mg tablets increase suicidal tendencies?
- Chaves RG, Lamounier JA. Breastfeeding and maternal medications. J Pediatr (Rio J) [Internet]. 2004 [cited 2022 Mar 4];80(5 Suppl):S189-98. Available from:
- Anafranil TM (clomipramine hydrochloride) Capsules USP (25 mg, 50 mg, and 75 mg) Rx only Suicidality and Antidepressant Drugs Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders. Anyone considering the use of clomipramine hydrochloride or any other antidepressant in a child, adolescent, or young adult must balance this risk with the clinical need. Short-term studies did not show an increase in the risk of suicidality with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults beyond age 24; there was a reduction in risk with antidepressants compared to placebo in adults aged 65 and older. Depression and certain other psychiatric disorders are themselves associated with increases in the risk of suicide. Patients of all ages who are started on antidepressant therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. Families and caregivers should be advised of the need for close observation and communication with the prescriber. Clomipramine hydrochloride is not approved for use in pediatric patients except for patients with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) (see WARNINGS, Clinical Worsening and Suicide Risk; PRECAUTIONS, Information for Patients; and PRECAUTIONS, Pediatric Use) [Internet]. Fda.gov. [cited 2022 Mar 4]. Available from:
- PubChem. Clomipramine [Internet]. Nih.gov. [cited 2022 Mar 4]. Available from: