Ceftum 500mg Tablet
By GLAXOSMITHKLINE PHARMA
4 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
15 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Ceftum 500 tablet is used to treat bacterial infections of tonsils, throat, sinus, ears, respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin infections and soft tissue. Ceftum 500 tablet is an antibiotic medicine
and it contains Cefuroxime as an active ingredient. Cefuroxime is a higher antibiotic and belongs to the class of cephalosporins. It works by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of bacteria, which ultimately causes the death of bacteria....
Uses of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
Ceftum 500 is used to treat the airway, lung, throat, skin, urinary tract and gynaecological infection.
Contraindications of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
- If you are allergic to cefuroxime or other ingredients of the Ceftum tablet.
- If you have experienced an allergic reaction upon the use of certain antibiotics from the class of Penicillins, Monobactams, Carbapenems or other Beta-Lactam antibiotics.
Side effects of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
- Stomach pain
- Raised liver enzyme
- Susceptibility to infections
Precautions and Warnings of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
Can I take the Ceftum 500 Tablet during pregnancy?
There is no information available on the safety of the Ceftum 500 in pregnant women and thus it should only be used if prescribed by the doctor.
Can I take the Ceftum 500 Tablet while breastfeeding?
Cefuroxime passes into the breastmilk in small quantities and can alter the microbial flora of the breastfed baby. Watch for the symptoms of diarrhoea and thrush in the breastfed baby. Your doctor may suggest you either stop breastfeeding or discontinue the medicine.
Can I drive if I have consumed the Ceftum 500 Tablet?
You may feel dizzy while on treatment with the Ceftum 500 tablet. Caution is needed while driving or operating machines.
Can I consume alcohol with the Ceftum 500 tablet?
Although there is no known interaction between alcohol and the Ceftum 500 tablet, it is essential to consult your physician if you have a habit of regular drinking.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You experience continuous diarrhoea. Immediately stop taking it and report to the hospital.
- You experience difficulty in breathing, rashes, swelling of the face or mouth after taking this medicine.
- You develop rashes with blisters and peeling of skin after taking this tablet.
- You have kidney or liver disease; dose adjustment may be required.
- You develop white patches in your mouth after consumption of the Ceftum 500.
- Ceftum 500 may alter the result of a few blood tests, inform your doctor or lab personnel about it.
Mode of Action of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
How Does It Work?
Ceftum 500 tablet works by stopping bacterial cell wall synthesis, the absence of bacterial cell wall will cause the death of bacteria.
Directions for Use of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
- Ceftum 500 tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it as a whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine.
- It should be taken after a meal to avoid any stomach discomfort.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results.
- Do not take antibiotic medicine more than the prescribed dose and duration.
Interactions of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Ceftum 500 tablets may interact with other medications and provide an altered response to the treatment. Please notify your doctor if you are undergoing any other treatments, over-the-counter medications (that you buy without a prescription) and herbal preparations. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled....Read more
- Do not take the Ceftum 500 tablet with medicines for acidity as it can reduce the antibiotic action.
- Ceftum can alter the action of contraceptive pills. If you are taking the contraceptive pill while you are being treated with this medicine, you may also need to use an additional physical contraceptive measure....Read more
- Be cautious if you are taking Probenecid (used to treat gout) or blood thinner like Warfarin.
Interactions with food items
Ceftum 500 tablet should be taken after food.
Storage and disposal of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
- Store the Ceftum 500 tablet in a cool and dry place & protect it from sunlight.
- Keep it out of the reach of children and pets.
- Discard any unused medicine properly. Do not flush in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Ceftum 500mg Tablet
Seek emergency medical care if you think you have taken an excessive dose of the Ceftum 500. An overdose of the Ceftum 500 can damage your brain and you may experience fits or even coma.
Missed a Dose
If you have missed taking any dose of the Ceftum 500 tablet take it as soon as you remember. If it's time for your next dose, then skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dose schedule. Do
not take a double dose of this medicine to compensate for the missed one....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I take the Ceftum 500 if I am allergic to Amoxicillin?
A: No, if you are allergic to Amoxicillin, never take this medicine as it can result in a very severe allergic reaction. Always inform your doctor about your allergies.
Q: Can I stop taking the Ceftum 500 before the prescribed duration?
A: No, you must finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. Stopping the medication can make the infection difficult to treat.
Q: How long should I take the Ceftum 500 tablet?
A: The dose and duration of treatment depend on the cause of infection and response to the treatment. Do not stop taking the Ceftum 500 even if you feel better, complete the full course as stopping the treatment in between can result in antibiotic resistance and infection may reoccur.
Q: Is Ceftum and Augmentin same?
A: No, the Ceftum 500 contains an antibiotic called cefuroxime whereas Augmentin is a combination antibiotic and contains combination amoxicillin and clavulanic acid.
Q: Does the Ceftum 500 increase the blood sugar level?
A: No, the Ceftum 500 does not alter your blood sugar levels. It is an antibiotic medicine.
Q: Is the Ceftum 500 effective against fungal infections?
A: No, the Ceftum 500 is an antibiotic medicine and only effective against bacteria and thus not useful in case of infections caused by fungus or yeast.
- Zinnat 125 mg [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 19 August 2021]
- Zinnat Tablets 125mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2021 [cited 19 August 2021]
- Cefuroxime [Internet]. Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. 2021 [cited 19 August 2021]
- Cefuroxime In Sterile Water Intravenous: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD [Internet]. Webmd.com. 2021 [cited 19 August 2021]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 19 Aug 2021]
Other Products from this Brand
Last Updated on: 21 Aug 2021 | 10:23 AM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved