Andol 5mg Tablet
Andol 5 MG Description
Andol 5 mg tablets are primarily used to manage schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a condition that is characterized by symptoms like delirium, hallucinations, and abnormal thinking process. Andol 5 m
g tablets should be taken at a dose and for a duration as prescribed by your doctor. It should be taken at a particular time of the day to maintain the levels of chemical substances (neurotransmitters) in the brain. However, if you have missed a dose, you should take it as soon as you remember it. You should avoid skipping a dose. You should not stop taking medicine abruptly as it can lead to withdrawal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, sleeplessness, and fatigue. Some of the most common side effects of Andol 5mg Tablet are dryness of the mouth, constipation, nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, and restlessness. These side effects are mild and should not disrupt your day-to-day life activities. However, if these side effects bother you, you should consult your doctor. You should inform your doctor if you have a prolactinoma, breast cancer, diabetes mellitus, and are pregnant. This medicine should not be prescribed in such conditions. Andol 5 mg tablets should be prescribed with precaution in the elderly and those who have kidney or liver disease. This medicine can cause weight gain and an increase in blood lipid levels. Exercising regularly and maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help you maintain your weight.
|You Save||₹5.24 (15% on MRP)|
|Side effects||fatigue, drowsiness, constipation, weight gain|
Uses of Andol 5 MG
- Management of schizophrenia
Contraindications of Andol 5 MG
- Andol 5 mg tablets are not prescribed in patients with prolactinoma (prolactinoma is a tumour of the endocrine gland of our body) as it can worsen the condition.
- Andol 5 mg tablets are not prescribed to those who have had allergic reactions to its use in the past.
- This medicine is not recommended for those who are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
- Andol 5 mg tablets should not be prescribed to children below 15 years of age.
- It should not be prescribed to breastfeeding females as it decreases the secretion of breastmilk.
- In people with pre-existing kidney diseases, Andol 5 tablets should be prescribed with caution as the medicine is excreted out through the kidney.
- In people with liver disease, dose modifications should be done.
- In conditions like pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumour), Andol 5 mg tablets should not be prescribed.
- People with heart diseases should be prescribed Andol 5 mg tablets with caution as it can increase the chances of stroke.
- If a person has a history of convulsions, dose modification should be done as Andol 5 mg tablets decrease the seizure threshold.
Side effects of Andol 5 MG
- Dryness in mouth
- Weight gain
- Difficulty in urinating
- Involuntary movements
Precautions and Warnings of Andol 5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You should be careful if you have diabetes and take an Andol 5 mg tablet. Blood sugar should be monitored at regular intervals.
- You have liver disease and have been prescribed Andol 5 mg tablets, you should get your liver function tests done regularly.
- You must get your blood examination done regularly as Andol 5 mg tablet can decrease blood cell counts.
- You should be careful if you are above the age of 65 and take Andol 5 mg tablets as this medicine increases the chances of stroke in the elderly.
Mode of Action of Andol 5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Andol 5 MG
- Take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- If you have any severe side effects, seek medical help immediately.
- Make sure that the treatment is complete.
- Do not discontinue using this medication without consulting your physician first.
- Keep the medicines in the container with the lid tightly closed.
Interactions of Andol 5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Antiarrhythmic (flecainide) can increase the risk of developing bradycardia, arrhythmia, hypotension, and heart failure.
- Antihypertensive medicines(Reserpine, methyldopa, clonidine, guanfacine) can decrease heart rate and force of contraction if used with Andol 5 mg tablets.
- Insulin can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) if it is used with Andol 5 mg Tablet.
- Antacids( Cimetidine, omeprazole) slow down the absorption of Andol 5 mg tablets.
- This medication prolongs the action of muscle relaxants.
- Anticoagulants( warfarin) increase the bleeding time if taken with Andol 5 mg tablet.
- Antidepressants (fluoxetine) cause drowsiness and sedation if used with an Andol 5 mg tablet.
- Sedatives, hypnotics (benzodiazepines, barbiturates) can cause extreme drowsiness and decreased respiratory rate.
- Alcohol can cause sleepiness and palpitations.
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (Selegiline) can cause symptoms like palpitations, flushing, convulsions, and coma.
Storage and disposal of Andol 5 MG
Dosage of Andol 5 MG
Missed a Dose
Dr Tuhina Mishra
Dr. Jagruti Jain
M.B.B.S., M.D., D.N.B., General Medicine