Gatifloxacin belongs to a class of antibiotics known as ‘Fluoroquinolones’ and is available as tablets, injections, and eye drops.
Uses of Gatifloxacin
- It is used in the treatment of bacterial infections of the lungs, sinuses (cavities of the nose), throat, skin and soft tissue infections, and the urinary tract. Soft tissues include muscle, fat, tendons, ligaments, etc.read less
- This medicine is useful in particular sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea
- Gatifloxacin is also used as a part of combination treatment with at least three other medicines to treat tuberculosis
Contraindications of Gatifloxacin
When should one not use Gatifloxacin
- If you are allergic to this medicine or any other ingredient of this medicine
- If you are allergic to quinolones
Side effects of Gatifloxacin
Common side effects of this drug are:
- Feeling sick (nausea), headache, reduced hunger, loose motions, stomach pain
- Dizziness and light-headedness, restless or confused
- Sleep problems
- Vaginal discharge or itching
- Fast, pounding (palpitations) and irregular heartbeats, fainting
- Fits, tingling, and numbness
- Burning pain, severe loose motions, fever, dark urine
- Yellowing of eyes (jaundice)
- Joint swelling and pains, skin rashes
Precautions and Warnings of Gatifloxacin
Can I take Gatifloxacin during pregnancy?
Enough data is not available. Gatifloxacin has the potential to harm the baby and is recommended to be used during pregnancy only if alternatives are not available.
Can I take Gatifloxacin while breastfeeding?
It is unknown if Gatifloxacin is secreted in breast milk, and it is best advised to avoid this medicine while breastfeeding.
Can I drive if I have consumed Gatifloxacin?
Gatifloxacin can cause dizziness, blurring of your vision for a short time. Be cautious, and do not drive until you feel well.
Can I consume alcohol with Gatifloxacin?
Alcohol can delay your recovery from infections, and it is advised to limit your consumption of alcohol (to occasional drinking) while taking Gatifloxacin.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have a history of abnormal heart rhythms (you or anyone in your family)
- You have any other heart diseases
- You have kidney or liver diseases
- You have low blood potassium levels
- You have seizure disorders
Mode of Action of Gatifloxacin
How Does It Work?
Gatifloxacin works by blocking the action of enzymes that are required for the replication of the bacterial genetic material (DNA) and thus kills the bacteria.
Interactions of Gatifloxacin
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines used to treat heart rhythm disorders (Quinidine, Disopyramide, Bretylium, Procainamide, Amiodarone, Sotalol)
- Antacids (used to reduce stomach acids) or vitamins and minerals containing aluminum, magnesium, or zinc
- Medicines used to treat depression and psychiatric disorders (Amitriptyline, Amoxapine, Imipramine, Nortriptyline, Doxepine, Chlorpromazine, Fluphenazine, Perphenazine, Mesoridazine, Thioridazine)
- Didanosine (used to treat HIV/ AIDS), Cisapride (to cause stomach emptying)
- Erythromycin (antibiotic), blood thinning agents (Warfarin)
- Probenecid (used to treat gout) and pain killers
Interactions with food items
Gatifloxacin does not interact with food and can be taken with or without meals.
Dietary Restrictions of Gatifloxacin
Drink plenty of water.
Dosage of Gatifloxacin
Unintentional overdose may not be harmful. If you experience any symptoms such as slow breathing, decreased activity, tremors or convulsions, etc. consult your doctor.
Missed a Dose
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if your next dose is close. Do not take higher or double dose to compensate for the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Is there anything else I should know before taking Gatifloxacin?
- Inform your doctor if you or anyone in your family has a history of abnormal heart rhythm disorders
- Gatifloxacin increases the sensitivity of your skin to light. Hence you are advised to wear protective clothing, keep away from direct sunlight and use sunscreen lotions
- Gatifloxacin is not a medicine for common cold or flu or any other diseases caused by viruses
- Though symptoms may be similar, this medicine has to be used for bacterial infections only, under medical supervision
- This medicine should not be given in children and adolescents less than 18 years of age and caution is advised while using Gatifloxacin in elderly patients
Q: How should I use Gatifloxacin eye drops?
- Wash your hands before using Gatifloxacin eye drops
- Tilt your head so that you are facing the ceiling, pull down the lower eyelid, and squeeze gently
- Your doctor based on your condition will prescribe the number of drops
- After pressing the droplet, close the eye with your finger. Apply gentle pressure for 1-2 minutes
- Then you can remove your finger and open the eye
- Do not wear contact lenses, unless advised by your doctor
- This medicine should not be given to children aged less than one year
- Gatifloxacin, Drugs.com [Accessed on 14 Sep, 2019].
- Webmd gatifloxacin[accessed on 24Aug2019] (Online)
- Mayoclinic gatifloxacin[accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006-. Gatifloxacin. [Updated 2018 Oct 31].
- Medicineplus. gatifloxacin[accessed on 24Aug2019](Online)
Last Updated on: 05 Oct 2020 | 10:47 PM (IST)
Could A Pandemic More Deadly Than COVID Strike Soon?
The COVID pandemic is not yet dealt with and we have already heard about a prospective new pandemic that is likely to strike any day and could be deadlier. For a long time, way before COVID struck, certain scientists had sounded the warning bells, they had prophesied that a series of killer diseases are lurking
10 Simple Tips To Get Acidity And Heartburn Under Control
We’re over two weeks into 2021. You’ve probably embraced the motto of “NEW YEAR, NEW ME,” and have already drafted your new year resolution list, because why not? However, for patients who struggle with acid reflux or GERD, the promise of a “NEW YOU” is a bit difficult to attain. Living with ACIDITY and HEARTBURN
Facing Acidity During Winter? Here’s The Solution!
Have you lately felt that your joints ache when the temperature drops? Even though the science behind this relationship isn’t clear, flare-ups, when the weather turns, are quite real for most people with joint pain. This may sound like migrating to a warmer climate is the only remedy. However, here are a few ways to
Make Your 2021 Acidity-Free With These Easy-To-Follow Steps!
The new year is here! Now that we are almost two weeks in, how are those resolutions going? Where is the acid reflux on the list, and what have you done to resolve it? From our personal experience, anecdotal evidence, and published medical research, we know that many times acid reflux is a disease of
New COVID Strains – Here Are Some Countries Where Cases Have Been Found
For almost a year, the world has been struggling with a pandemic the likes of which have seldom been recorded in history. 2020 was a terrible year for almost all of us. But towards the end of the year, it seemed like the battle was about to be won. The coronavirus live update stated that
Bird Flu In India: Should You Worry?
We all started 2021 on a hopeful note. The coronavirus vaccine is about to roll out and there is a high possibility of us resuming our old lives very soon. But then came the news that has plunged us into despair. Another virus is doing the rounds and creating headlines. Bird flu or avian flu
FAQs Regarding COVID Vaccination To Be Aware Of
According to the latest coronavirus news, vaccination in India will kick off from January 16. This is a cause for celebration! The end of the long battle against COVID is near. But at the same time, you might have a few questions regarding the COVID-19 vaccination program. It is important to get all your queries
Want To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine? Check The Step-wise Procedure
In a bid to finally get rid of the menace of COVID-19 disease, central and state governments in India are all geared up to begin the cross-nation vaccination drive, probably the most pervasive one in the history of Indian healthcare. With the vaccination drive set to begin on January 13, 2021, people in India are
Will The B117 Virus Trigger Another Lockdown In India?
Just when we thought that the COVID-19 pandemic was receding, we received some gloomy news. There’s a new COVID strain doing the rounds. Our coronavirus vaccine drive is almost underway and at this point, news of a new COVID strain, the B117 virus has got everyone asking the question- does this mean a new lockdown?
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
Medicines containing Gatifloxacin
ZYMAXID 0.5% EYE DROPS 2.5ML
By ALLERGAN INDIA PVT LTD
2.5ml Eye Drop in Bottle
+ View More Medicines
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved