Spasnic Tablets Description
Spasnic Tablets is an anti-spasmodic medicine used for the treatment of spasms and pain in the abdomen during or before menses. It is a combination medicine containing dicyclomine and mefenamic acid
as its active ingredients. This tablet should not be used for more than 7 days if the pain persists consult your doctor. It preferably should be taken with food or after food. Spasnic Tablets s should not be given to children below 12 years of age.
Uses of Spasnic Tablets
Contraindications of Spasnic Tablets
- If you are allergic to mefenamic acid, dicyclomine or any other ingredients of the Spasnic Tablets .
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease, bleeding in your stomach and intestines or obstruction in the intestine.
- If you have severe liver, kidney or heart function problems.
- If you have experienced an asthmatic attack due to painkillers.
- If you have a problem in passing urine or obstruction or blockage in the bladder and kidney.
- If you a condition of weakness in muscles (Myasthenia gravis).
- If you have an eye condition of increased eye pressure (Glaucoma).
- This should not be used in the last trimester of pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- It should not be used for managing pain before, during and after coronary bypass surgery.
Side effects of Spasnic Tablets
- Stomach pain
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
Precautions and Warnings of Spasnic Tablets
Other General Warnings
- You are suffering from respiratory disorders like asthma and lung and throat-related disorders.
- You may experience fluid retention and high blood pressure. It should be used cautiously in patients with existing conditions.
- You are suffering from autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks healthy tissue of the body.
- You experience diarrhoea, skin reactions or raised body temperature after taking this .
- You have existing liver and kidney function problems or bleeding disorders of the stomach or intestine.
- You are suffering from fits, epilepsy and seizures.
- You have a prostate-related disorder, ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease) and megacolon (abnormal dilation of the colon).
- Women can experience infertility with the use of this medicine and women who are trying to conceive should also avoid this medicine.
- You experience some brain-related disorders like confusion, hallucinations, tiredness or aggression.
- There is a risk of heart-related disorder, heart failure and stroke after prolonged use of this medicine. It should be used cautiously in patients with the risk of heart disorder.
- Spasnic Tablets should not be used in infants or children below 6 months of age.
Mode of Action of Spasnic Tablets
How Does It Work?
- Mefenamic acid works by blocking the action of an enzyme responsible for the production of prostaglandins responsible for the pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Dicyclomine acts on smooth muscles of bile duct, uterus, intestine and aids in relieving pain.
Directions for Use of Spasnic Tablets
- Spasnic Tablets s should be taken as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine. It can be taken with or after food.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results. Do not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Spasnic Tablets
Interactions with other medicines
- Medicines used to thin blood such as Warfarin should be used with caution as there are chances of increased bleeding upon longterm use.
- Anti-platelet medicines such as Aspirin or Clopidogrel, steroids and painkillers when taken along can induce stomach or intestinal bleeding.
- Antidiabetic medicine if taken along with this lead to low blood glucose.
- Spasnic Tablets should not be taken for 8 to 12 days after taking a medicine called Mifepristone.
- Digoxin used to treat heart failure should not be taken along with this .
- Medicines used to lower blood pressure such as water pills, Captopril, Enalapril, immunomodulator medicines such as Tacrolimus, Ciclosporin and certain antibiotics should be used cautiously.
- Medicines such as Methotrexate and Lithium if taken along with this can lead to toxicity of these medicines.
- Medicines used to treat a bacterial infection like Tobramycin, Gentamicin, Chloramphenicol, Zidovudine and medicines to treat glaucoma should be used cautiously.
Interactions with food items
Storage and disposal of Spasnic Tablets
- Store Spasnic Tablets below 25°C.
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
- Discard unused medicine properly, do not flush it in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Spasnic Tablets
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can we take Spasnic Tablets in an empty stomach?
Q: What does Spasnic Tablets contain?
Q: When should you not take Spasnic Tablets?
Q: How long can we take Spasnic Tablets?
Q: Does Spasnic Tablets have any side effects?
- Bentyl Tablet [Internet]. Accessdata.fda.gov. 2022 [cited 22 June 2022]
- Ponstan Capsules 250mg - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 22 June 2022]
- Meftal Spas DS Tablet [Internet]. Bluecrosslabs.com. 2022 [cited 22 June 2022]
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 22 June 2022]