Patroxta 12.5mg Tablets
Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG Description
Patroxta tablet is a prescription medication. It is used to manage panic attacks, depression and mood disorders. Managing the symptoms of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) and the symptoms of mo
od disorders such as the feeling of sadness, loss of interest, anger, panic attacks, loneliness, etc., are some of the uses of Patroxta tablets. It is composed of only one active ingredient: paroxetine. The mode of action of Patroxta tablets is to increase the amount of serotonin, a chemical substance that improves mood. It also works by reducing the abnormal activity of the nerve cells in the brain. Lightheadedness, drowsiness, fatigue, etc., are some common side effects of Patroxta tablets. Try to follow your doctor's directions for using Patroxta tablets. This medicine should be used exactly in the prescribed dose and duration, as it may cause physical dependence if used for a long period or in people who have a history of addiction. Notify your complete medical history and current treatments to your doctor, as these cannot be used in certain conditions.
|Uses||Anxiety disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder|
|Side effects||Constipation, Reduced heart rate, Nightmares, Cold palms and soles, Drowsiness, Uncoordinated body movements, Sweating, Flu-like symptoms|
Uses of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
- As per USFDA and CDSCO, the main uses of Patroxta tablets are the following conditions:
- Treatment of major depressive disorders
- Treatment of the panic disorder
- Treatment of anxiety disorder
- Management of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD), a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) with extreme changes in mood and behaviour
Contraindications of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
- Patroxta tablet is contraindicated in the following cases:
- If you have allergies to any components of the Patroxta tablet
- If you have a previous history of alcohol or recreational substance addiction
- If you are concomitantly using pimozide, thioridazine or other medications that increase serotonin levels along with Patroxta tablets
- If you have bleeding issues or you are on a blood thinner. Patroxta tablets can increase bleeding
- If you are already using another antidepressant, anti-anxiety or sedatives, as they can interfere, they can cause adverse reactions
- If you have an eye disorder such as angle-closure glaucoma (high pressure inside the eye)
- If you have any seizures disorder
- If you are diagnosed with mania or bipolar disorder
- If you are pregnant
- If you are breastfeeding
- If you have liver disease
- If you have any heart condition
- If you are below 18 years of age
Side effects of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
- Side effects of Patroxta tablet include:
- Sleeping problems
- Memory impairment
- Uncoordinated body movements
- Abnormal ejaculation
- Decreased sexual desire
Precautions and Warnings of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have to use any medications that can lead to severe sedation or drowsiness.
- You have any trouble breathing.
- You are over the age of 65. The effects of this medicine are increased in older patients, so use it with caution. Generally, side effects do not need any medical treatment if taken as prescribed.
- You have kidney-related issues. You may need dose adjustments.
- You have any seizure disorder (fits) and are using anti-epileptic medicines.
- You have to use herbal medicines or supplements.
- You are experiencing these side effects persistently.
Mode of Action of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
- Take the Patroxta tablet in the advised dosage and at the same time every day.
- Try not to exceed the dosage, even if you cannot feel any changes.
- Take Patroxta tablets with or without consuming food.
- Swallow the whole tablet with a glass of water without breaking or chewing it.
- Do not take it with other medicines without notifying your doctor.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Patroxta tablet, as it can have adverse effects.
Interactions of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Certain anti-depression medications such as MAO inhibitors along with Patroxta tablets should not be used within 14 days of each other. It can lead to severe reactions.
- Do not use other anti-anxiety and mood disorder medications and medications like linezolid, moclobemide, selegiline, etc., along with this medicine. It can cause serious reactions similar to an overdose of Patroxta tablet. ...
- When mixed with these tablets, medications such as trazodone, pimozide, and other medicines that increase the serotonin level can cause serotonin syndrome. It is rare and causes severe adverse effects and even death....
- Using opiates or narcotic pain relievers such as codeine and tramadol with Patroxta tablets can increase the side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, etc.
- If you are using anti-epileptic medicines for seizure disorders (fits) such as phenytoin, notify your doctor as Patroxta tablet can increase the effects of these medications.
Interactions with food items
- Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking its juice. It can increase the level of Patroxta tablet in the blood.
- Limit having coffee or caffeine-containing products such as cola, energy drinks, excessive chocolate, etc. The effects of caffeine can reduce the calming effects of Patroxta tablets.
Storage and disposal of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
Dosage of Patroxta Cr 12.5 MG
Dr. Varsha Parihar
MBBS, MD (Community Medicine)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Will I feel lethargic or gain weight after using Patroxta tablets?
Q: Is it ok to use the Patroxta tablet if I have a sleeping disorder?
Q: Are Patroxta tablets safe to use for a long duration?
- Paroxetine: Medlineplus drug information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 18 Mar 2022] - Available from:
- Begg EJ, Duffull SB, Saunders DA, Buttimore RC, Ilett KF, Hackett LP, et al. Paroxetine in human milk [Internet]. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 48(2): 142–147. 1999 [cited 18 Mar 2022] - Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 18 Mar 2022]. Available from:
- PAXIL CR (paroxetine) extended-release tablets, for oral use. Initial U.S. Approval: 1999. Accessdata.fda.gov. [cited 18 Mar 2022] - Available from: