Ovral G Tablet
By PFIZER LTD
20 Tablet(s) in Strip
Inclusive of all taxes
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Ovral G is a combination oral contraceptive pill. Ovral G tablet contains two types of female sex hormones - Norgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol. It works by preventing the release of the ovum or egg and restricting the sperm's movement towards the uterus. Thus, it prevents fertilization. Ovral G should be taken as per your doctor's advice. The common side effects of Ovral G tablets are headache, nausea, and breast pain. A pregnant, breastfeeding woman should not use Ovral G. Women with the age of 35 years or more with regular smoking habits should not consume this pill as there is a risk of heart-related disorders.
Uses of Ovral G Tablet
Ovral G tablet is used in women as an oral contraceptive pill.
Contraindications of Ovral G Tablet
- If you are allergic to Ethinylestradiol, Norgesterol or any other ingredients of Ovral G tablet.
- If you are a smoker and over 35 years of age as there is a risk of getting heart-related disorders.
- If you have a history of any blood clot formation or bleeding disorder.
- If you have heart-related disorders such as stroke, heart attack or angina.
- If you have or had migraine attacks and pancreas or liver or gallbladder related problems.
- If you have diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol-related disorder.
- If you experience abnormal vaginal bleeding or delayed menses for more than 3 months (amenorrhea).
- If you have or are suspected of having breast, vaginal, cervical cancer.
- If you have a psychiatric disorder and you feel low very often.
- If you are taking anti-viral medicine for Hepatitis C and taking medicines such as Ombitasvir or Paritaprevir.
Side effects of Ovral G Tablet
- Abdominal pain
- Weight gain
- Skin reactions
- Mood swings
- Breast pain & tenderness
- Low sex drive
Precautions and Warnings of Ovral G Tablet
Can I take Ovral G Tablet during pregnancy?
Ovral G tablet should not be used during pregnancy. When pregnancy is detected, this medicine should be discontinued immediately.
Can I take Ovral G Tablet while breastfeeding?
Ovral G tablet should not be used during breastfeeding as it can alter milk production, and it also passes in breast milk. A lactating woman should use other types of contraceptives.
Can I drive if I have consumed Ovral G Tablet?
It is less likely to affect your driving abilities.
Can I consume alcohol with Ovral G Tablet?
Though there is no direct interaction seen between alcohol and Ovral G, alcohol can make you forgetful. Therefore, make sure you consume your pills before drinking alcohol or keep a reminder. Also, alcohol can induce emesis. Make sure you consume it 2 hours before drinking alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have a family history of breast cancer, seizures or other brain disorders.
- You have high blood pressure, diabetes, lipid or cholesterol-related disorder.
- Your liver or gall bladder is not functioning properly.
- You have an inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis).
- You have a blood-related disorder which has affected your kidneys(hemolytic uremic syndrome).
- You have an immune-related disorder such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- You have experienced pregnancy patches especially on the face (chloasma).
- You have a disease that first appeared during pregnancy like porphyria (an inherited haemoglobin defect), hearing loss, gestational herpes (vesicular skin rashes during pregnancy) and Sydenham's chorea (rapid, irregular movements of the body).read less
- You have a family history or you have experienced allergic reactions causing rashes, breathing difficulty and swelling.
- Oral contraceptives may alter the results of certain lab tests, inform the lab personnel before performing any test.
Mode of Action of Ovral G Tablet
How Does It Work?
Ovral G tablet contains 2 types of female sex hormones - Norgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol. It works as a combined action of two hormones, which suppresses a hormone called gonadotropins. Gonadotropins are hormones crucial for controlling reproductive function. Components of Ovral G also blocks the release of the egg by the ovary, prevent the sperms from reaching the uterus and makes it unsuitable for implantation.
Directions for Use of Ovral G Tablet
- Ovral G tablet should be taken as directed by your doctor.
- Swallow it whole with a glass of water. Do not cut, break or chew the medicine.
- It would be best if you took it at a fixed time for optimal results.
- You should not consume it more than that prescribed by your doctor.
Interactions of Ovral G Tablet
Interactions with other medicines
- Ovral G tablet may interact with other medicines, discuss with your doctor about all the medicines, supplements, or herbal preparations you are taking. Also, you should inform your doctor if you have a planned surgery or vaccination scheduled.read less
- Concomitant use of Ovral G tablet with anti-epileptics such as Phenytoin, Carbamazepine, Anti-HIV medicines such as Nevirapine, Ritonavir, antibiotics such as Penicillin, Griseofulvin, antiemetics such as Metoclopramide and herbal supplements like St.John's Wort may alter the effects of Ovral G tablet.read less
- Anti-seizure medications like Lamotrigine and immunosuppressants like Cyclosporine should be avoided while on Ovral G.
- Ovral G, if taken along with antiviral medicines, may affect your liver enzymes. Thus, this tablet should be stopped and can be resumed 2 weeks after completing the treatment.
- Other medicines like Rifampicin and Carbamazepine should be used cautiously.
Storage and disposal of Ovral G Tablet
- Store Ovral G tablets below 25°C in a clean and dry place.
- Keep the medicine away from children and pets.
- Do not use expired or damaged medicines.
- Discard any unused medicine properly. Do not flush in the toilet or throw it into the drain.
Dosage of Ovral G Tablet
The symptoms of an overdose of Ovral G tablet include nausea, vomiting, or withdrawal bleeding. If you have taken more than the prescribed dose of this medicine, reach out to your doctor or nearest hospital.
Missed a Dose
Missing a dose of Ovral G tablet may alter the contraception or failure of contraception. If you missed any dose of Ovral G, take it as soon as you remember and continue with your regular dose schedule.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How long should I take Ovral G tablets?
A: You should take Ovral G tablets in doses and duration as per your doctor's advice. Try to take it at the same time everyday for effective contraception.
Q: What are the constituents of Ovral G tablet?
A: Ovral G tablet contains a combination of Ethinylestradiol and Norgestrel. Both of these components are the human-made form of female sex hormones estrogen and progesterone.
Q: Can I stop taking Ovaral G if I am trying to conceive?
A: No, you should not stop taking this medicine on your own. Consult your doctor before it. As these are hormonal pills stopping them can affect your physiological function.
Q: Can I smoke while taking Ovral G tablets?
A: No, you should not smoke while taking contraceptive pills. Contraceptive pills increase the chances of getting a heart attack, stroke, and blood clots, and sometimes even death. The risk increases with age and the number of cigarettes you smoke.
Q: Is Ovral G good for heavy periods?
A: No, Ovral G tablet is not meant for use in heavy periods.
Q: Is weight gain a side effect of Ovral G?
A: Yes, Ovral G can make you gain weight due to fluid retention.
Q: What is the use of Ovral G tablets?
A: Ovral G is an oral contraceptive pill used by women to prevent pregnancy.
Last Updated on: 11 Dec 2020 | 05:07 PM (IST)
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
100% secure and trusted payment protection
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved