Medibuse 500mg Tablets
Medibuse 500 MG Description
Medibuse Tablet is a medicine used to treat alcoholism. The active ingredient of Medibuse Tablet is disulfiram. When alcohol is ingested after taking Medibuse Tablets, the levels of a substance calle
d acetaldehyde is increased in the body which causes highly distressing physical symptoms like burning sensation, reddening of the skin, increase in body temperature, nausea, vomiting, rashes and itching, throbbing headache, vision disturbances, dizziness, sweating, uneasinessandconfusion, which may stop the individual from further drinking alcohol. You should take this medicine only if it is recommended by your doctor. Do not take this medicine on your own. You should not take Medibuse Tablet if you have consumed alcohol in the past 24 hours. This medicine is to be used only in adults.
Uses of Medibuse 500 MG
- Medibuse Tablet is used for the treatment of alcoholism along with other appropriate supportive treatments.
Contraindications of Medibuse 500 MG
- If you are allergic to disulfiram or any other ingredient of Medibuse Tablets.
- If you have chronic heart failure or coronary artery disease (a condition where major blood vessels supplying blood to the heart are narrowed).
- If you have ever had a cerebrovascular accident (stroke, where blood flow to a part of your brain is stopped either due to blockage or damage of a blood vessel).
- If you have increased blood pressure.
- If you have a severe personality disorder.
- If you have any kind of mental illness.
- If you have consumed alcohol in the past 24 hours.
Side effects of Medibuse 500 MG
- Metallic taste
- Stomach upset
Precautions and Warnings of Medibuse 500 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have any kind of kidney, liver, or lung disease.
- You have thyroid problems or you are diabetic
- You have or have a history of epilepsy or brain damage.
- You have galactose intolerance, total lactase deficiency or glucose-galactase malabsorption.
- You develop signs and symptoms of liver injury (yellowing of the skin and eyes, weakness, stomach pain and swelling, swelling in legs and ankles, itchy skin, dark coloured urine, pale stool colour, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and easy bruising)....
Mode of Action of Medibuse 500 MG
How Does It Work?
- Medibuse Tablet stops the function of a certain chemical in the body that is required for the complete breakdown of alcohol. When the function of this chemical is stopped, an incomplete breakdown of alcohol into a substance called acetaldehyde takes place....
- The increased levels of this acetaldehyde in the body cause unpleasant physical symptoms. Thus, if an individual taking Medibuse Tablets drinks alcohol, he/she will experience highly unpleasant physical symptoms....
Directions for Use of Medibuse 500 MG
- Take this medicine as a whole with sufficient water.
- Always take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not consume more than the prescribed dose.
- Do not discontinue the medicine on your own without consulting your doctor.
Interactions of Medibuse 500 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Medibuse Tablet worksor Medibuse Tablet itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all medicines, supplementsor herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Medibuse Tablet may increase the intensity of the unpleasant physical symptoms when taken along with amitriptyline or chlorpromazine.
- Medibuse Tablet may increase the sedative effect of benzodiazepines (chlordiazepoxide, diazepam).
- The dose adjustment may be required for phenytoin, theophyllineandwarfarin when these medicines are taken along with Medibuse Tablets.
- Care should be taken when pimozide, isoniazid, metronidazole, paraldehydeandrifampicin are taken along with Medibuse Tablets.
Storage and disposal of Medibuse 500 MG
- Store in a cool and dry place below 25°C. away from direct sunlight.
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Medibuse 500 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I drink non-alcoholic or alcohol-free beverages after taking Medibuse Tablets?
Q: What is a disulfiram reaction?
Q: What other precautions should I take when consuming Medibuse Tablets?
Q: When and for how long should I take Medibuse Tablets?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- ANTABUSE (Disulfiram Tablets USP) IN ALCOHOLISM [Internet]. Dailymed.nlm.nih.gov. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- Package leaflet: Information for the user Disulfiram 200 mg tablets [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]
- Disulfiram 200 mg tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 21 May 2022]