Mazetol Sr 200mg Tablet
Mazetol Sr 200 MG Description
Mazetol Sr Tablet is an anti-convulsant medicine that is used to treat certain types of seizures/fits (partial and generalised tonic-clonic seizures). Epilepsy is a condition where there are brief oc
urrences of loss or disturbance of consciousness with or without convulsions. These episodes (seizures/fits) are unpredictable and their occurrence does not have a fixed pattern. This medicine has an active component called carbamazepine that prevents the occurrence of seizures/fits in some forms of epilepsy. Your doctor will recommend this medicine to you and will tell you how and when to take them. Always follow his/her instructions carefully and take the medicine at the right time. Tell your doctor about any medical problems, other medicines and supplements that you are taking. This medicine is not to be used in children under 5 years.
Uses of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
Contraindications of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
- If you are allergic to carbamazepine or any other ingredient of Mazetol Sr Tablet.
- If you are allergic to tricyclic antidepressants such as clomipramine, imipramine, amitriptyline, nortriptyline, doxepin. Ask your doctor what these medicines are if you are not sure.
- If you have a type of heart block known as an atrioventricular block (AV block).
- If you have had a history of bone marrow depression (decreased number of those cells in the bone marrow that can develop into all types of blood cells).
- If you have a history of hepatic porphyrias (acute intermittent porphyria, variegate porphyria, porphyria, cutanea tarda).
- Mazetol Sr Tablet is contraindicated to be used along with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO's like selegiline, rasagiline, phenelzine, tranylcypromine).
Side effects of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
- Red itchy skin bumps
Precautions and Warnings of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
Other General Warnings
- You have a history of bone marrow depression.
- You have or have a history of any kind of liver or kidney disease.
- You have any kind of heart disease.
- You have thyroid disorders and take medicines for them.
- You have taken medicines called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) within the last 14 days.
- If you develop symptoms like skin rashes, itchy bumps, mouth sores, blistering or peeling of the skin, yellowing of the skin and eyes, severe weakness, severe muscle pain, unusual bruising or bleeding, frequent infections that do not go away, fever, trouble swallowing or breathing, tiny pinpoint red to purple spots on your skin. These may indicate serious problems in your liver or blood cells....
- You develop signs and symptoms of an allergic reaction to the medicine (fever, rashes, weakness, red itchy skin bumps, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, sleepiness, impaired coordination, swelling, decrease in white blood cells count)....
- You are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant soon.
- You are a woman and do not use an effective method of contraception or use oral hormonal contraceptives.
- You experience an increase in the frequency of seizures after taking Mazetol Sr Tablet.
Mode of Action of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
How Does It Work?
Directions for Use of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
- Take Mazetol Sr Tablet as a whole with sufficient water.
- Always take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not consume more than the prescribed dose.
- Do not discontinue the medicine on your own without consulting your doctor.
Interactions of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Some medicines can affect the way Mazetol Sr Tablet works or this Tablet itself can reduce the effectiveness of other medicines taken at the same time.
- Tell your doctor about all medicines, supplements or herbals you are currently taking or might take to avoid any possible interaction.
- Care should be taken when Mazetol Sr Tablet is given along with CYP3A4 inhibitors (erythromycin, clarithromycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole, verapamil, diltiazem, ritonavir, grapefruit juice), CYP3A4 inducers (rifampicin, barbiturates, anti-epileptic medicines) or inhibitors of epoxide hydrolase. The dose of Mazetol Sr should be adjusted accordingly. ...
- This Tablet may reduce the effect of oral hormonal contraceptives and lead to failure of contraception. Women of childbearing potential (women who have not yet reached menopause and are capable of becoming pregnant) should be advised to use other effective methods of contraception....
- This medicine interacts with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO inhibitors like selegiline, rasagiline, isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine) and are not to be taken together.
- Special attention must be paid to combinations of Mazetol Sr Tablet with levetiracetam, isoniazid, lithium, diuretics (hydrochlorothiazide, furosemide) and direct-acting anti-coagulants (rivaroxaban, dabigatran, apixaban, edoxaban)....
Storage and disposal of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
- Store Mazetol Sr Tablets in a cool and dry place below 30°C away from direct sunlight.
- Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Dosage of Mazetol Sr 200 MG
Missed a Dose
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What time during the day should I take Mazetol Sr Tablet?
Q: Can I stop taking Mazetol Sr Tablet if I do not have seizures anymore?
Q: Can I take Mazetol Sr Tablet along with my other regular medicines?
Q: How much time does Mazetol Sr Tablet take initially to show its effect on the body?
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2021 [cited 10 May 2022]
- Tegretol 200mg Prolonged Release Tablets - Summary of Product Characteristics (SmPC) - (emc) [Internet]. Medicines.org.uk. 2022 [cited 10 May 2022].
- Tegretol® -XR (carbamazepine extended-release tablets) [Internet]. Novartis.us. 2022 [cited 10 May 2022].
- Carbamazepine Sandoz retard tablet 400, prolonged release tablet 400 mg [Internet]. Mri.cts-mrp.eu. 2022 [cited 10 May 2022].
- Carbamazepine: medicine to treat epilepsy and nerve pain [Internet]. nhs.uk. 2022 [cited 10 May 2022].