Lonapam 0.5mg Tablet
By SHINE PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
We do not sell this product
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
Lonapam Tablet is a prescription medication used for treating comorbid depression, anxiety disorders and certain types of epilepsy (seizures). It is a tranquilliser (medicines that reduce fear, anxiety, etc.), and its active ingredient is clonazepam. It reduces the neurological activity in the brain by increasing certain chemical messengers, which produces a calming effect. Anxiety and other mood disorders affect how you feel, and can be accompanied by depression. It can be caused by sudden triggers like stress, trauma, etc. Epilepsy is a condition caused due to overactivity of the brain. Lonapam Tablet helps stabilise mood by lowering the excess activity of nerves in the brain. Some of the common side effects of Lonapam Tablet include drowsiness, dizziness, etc. It can cause behavioural changes and increase suicidal thoughts. It also causes physical dependency if used for the long term. So, it is essential to monitor the dosage and only use it for a short duration. Also, you should not stop using this medicine suddenly as it can cause withdrawal symptoms like tremors, sweating, nausea, muscle pain, etc. This medicine can also cause weight gain. Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding....
|You Save||₹6.12 (18% on MRP)|
|Best Offer||Use Code: 18SAVE & get 18% discount|
|Uses||Anxiety disorder, a few types of seizure disorder, comorbid depression, panic disorder|
|Side effects||Dizziness, Fatigue, Nausea, Vomiting, Memory problems, Confusion, Depression, Drowsiness, Blurred vision, Muscle pain, Difficulty speaking, Increased salivation and other secretions, Suicidal thoughts.|
Check more medicines with composition as Clonazepam(0.5 Mg)
Uses of Lonapam 0.5 MG
- As per CDSCO, Lonapam Tablet is used in,
- Managing conditions such as comorbid depression(depression associated with other conditions).
- Treatment of anxiety disorder and panic disorders(both are types of mood disorders).
- Treatment of certain types of seizure disorders like variant, myoclonic and akinetic seizures
Contraindications of Lonapam 0.5 MG
- If you are allergic to any ingredient of Lonapam medicine.
- If you have any self-harming or suicidal thoughts.
- If you have narrow-angle glaucoma, an eye condition will increase the fluid pressure inside the eye, this medicine can worsen the condition.
- If you have any history of medicine or alcohol abuse.
- If you have severe liver disease.
- If you are already pregnant or planning to get pregnant.
- If you have any respiratory diseases or lung conditions, this medicine causes excess secretions causing breathing problems.
- If you are diagnosed with a blood disorder like porphyria
Side effects of Lonapam 0.5 MG
- Memory problems
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty speaking
- Increased salivation
- Suicidal thoughts
Precautions and Warnings of Lonapam 0.5 MG
Can I take the Lonapam Tablet during pregnancy?
No, Lonapam Tablets are unsafe during pregnancy. Studies have shown that there is a definite risk to unborn babies. The child showed different types of conditions like difficulty in breathing, low muscle tone, poor circulation, etc., when this medicine was used. Do not take Lonapam without consulting your doctor.
Can I take the Lonapam Tablet while breastfeeding?
You should consult your doctor before taking the Lonapam Tablet. It can be safe during breastfeeding. There is limited data on the effects of Lonapam Tablets on the breastfeeding baby. Studies suggested that a small amount of this medicine may pass into the milk. So do not use this without consulting your doctor first.
Can I drive if I have taken the Lonapam Tablet?
No, do not drive after taking the Lonapam tablet. It can cause side effects like lightheadedness, sleepiness, and blurred vision that can affect your ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with the Lonapam Tablet?
No, you cannot consume alcohol with a Lonapam Tablet. It can interfere with the function of the medicine and cause serious side effects. It can also exaggerate the effects of alcohol.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
- You have suicidal thoughts and experience a change in behaviour or mood after having Lonapam Tablet.
- You are an elderly person over the age of 65 years. Lonapam Tablet can cause exaggerated side effects due to slow metabolism.
- You experience side effects that are persistent or worsen in time.
- You need to do something that requires steady focus, this medicine can cause difficulties with concentration.
- You have withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, stuffy nose, vomiting, nausea, etc. The dose of this medicine needs to be slowly tapered.
- You have kidney or liver conditions.
- You have planned for a surgery or a dental procedure.
- You are overweight. The dose needs to be monitored.
- You are taking any herbal or ayurvedic supplements like St John’s wort, herbal medicine that helps manage depression. It can cause serious effects.
Mode of Action of Lonapam 0.5 MG
How Does It Work?
The Lonapam Tablet consists of a single active ingredient: clonazepam. It belongs to the benzodiazepine (depressants) and tranquilliser class of medications. Clonazepam functions by increasing the action of GABA(gamma-Aminobutyric acid), which is a chemical messenger in the brain. GABA lowers the abnormal or excessive activity of nerve cells in the brain. It has antiepileptic (lowers seizures) and sedation properties. It does not affect the levels of GABA in the brain....
Directions for Use of Lonapam 0.5 MG
- Take the Lonapam Tablet exactly as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do not exceed the dosage, even if you cannot notice its effects.
- Do not break the Lonapam Tablet or chew it.
- Take the pill as a whole with a glass of water.
- Do not take it with other medications without informing your doctor.
- Do not use Lonapam if the package has been opened.
Interactions of Lonapam 0.5 MG
Interactions with other medicines
- Do not use other sedatives or different antidepressant medicines if you are using this medicine. The reactions between them can cause unwanted effects. Inform your doctor if you have used any in the last 14 days....
- When you are using a Lonapam Tablet, do not use opiates or narcotic pain relievers (codeine, oxycodone, fentanyl, tramadol, etc.), allergy medicine, cold or cough medicine with this tablet. It can cause extreme drowsiness....
- If you are using antibiotics, antifungals, HIV medicine, etc., inform your doctor, as the dose may need to be adjusted.
- Lonapam Tablet interacts with many medications. Inform your doctor about all the medicines you are currently using.
Interactions with food items
- There are no known food interactions with Lonapam Tablet. You can take the Lonapam Tablet dose with or without food. If you are having any stomach issues, take it after eating.
Storage and disposal of Lonapam 0.5 MG
Store the Lonapam Tablet in dry conditions. Keep it away from direct sunlight, wet surfaces and humid conditions. Dispose of the packaging carefully after using the medicine. Do not use Lonapam Tablet if the package has been opened. Check the expiration date before taking the tablet. Do not use it if this medicine is past the expiration date. Keep the Lonapam Tablet away from children and pets....
Dosage of Lonapam 0.5 MG
Overdose on the Lonapam Tablet can cause symptoms such as dizziness, tremors, drowsiness, convulsions, and loss of consciousness for some time. If you overdose on lonapam medicine and experience any of these symptoms, immediately seek emergency medical treatment from a hospital nearby....
Missed a Dose
If you have missed a dose of the Lonapam Tablet, take it as soon as possible. If you remember missing a dose of this medicine when it's already time for the next dose of Lonapam Tablet, then skip the missed dose and take the next one. Do not take both of them together, as it can cause an overdose....
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Can I stop taking the Lonapam Tablet if I feel better?
A: You should use a Lonapam Tablet for the exact dose and duration prescribed by the doctor. Do not stop using it without consulting your doctor, even if you are feeling better. You will be evaluated for a few weeks of treatment to assess the effects of the medication. Before taking you off this medicine, your doctor will gradually taper the doses to prevent any withdrawal side effects.
Q: Is Lonapam Tablet safe for a child?
A: Lonapam Tablet should not be used in children under 18 years of age. Inform your doctor first if the child has anxiety or a mood disorder, or any other disorder so that appropriate treatment can be given.
Q: Will I get addicted to the Lonapam Tablet if I use it every day?
A: Lonapam Tablet is a habit-forming medicine if used for long durations. Do not use it if you have previous addiction behavioural problems such as alcohol dependency, substance abuse, etc. This medicine is intended to be used for a short duration. But, do not stop using it abruptly, as it can cause withdrawal symptoms like sweating, tremors, etc.
- Clonazepam: Medlineplus Drug Information [Internet]. MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Jan21]. Available from
- S; M. Clonazepam as a therapeutic adjunct to improve the management of depression: A brief review [Internet]. Human psychopharmacology. U.S. National Library of Medicine; [cited 2022 Jan21]. Available from:
- The efficacy and safety of clonazepam in patients with anxiety disorder taking newer antidepressants: A multicenter naturalistic study [Internet]. Clinical psychopharmacology and neuroscience : the official scientific journal of the Korean College of Neuropsychopharmacology. Korean College of Neuropsychopharmacology; 2016 [cited 2022 Jan 21]. Available from:
- CDSCO [Internet]. Cdscoonline.gov.in. 2022 [cited 2022 Jan 21]. Available from:
Expires on or After
The information provided herein is supplied to the best of our abilities to make it accurate and reliable as it is published after a review by a team of professionals. This information is solely intended to provide a general overview on the product and must be used for informational purposes only. You should not use the information provided herein to diagnose, prevent, or cure a health problem. Nothing contained on this page is intended to create a doctor-patient relationship, replace or be a substitute for a registered medical practitioner's medical treatment/advice or consultation. The absence of any information or warning to any medicine shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance. We highly recommend that you consult your registered medical practitioner for all queries or doubts related to your medical condition. You hereby agree that you shall not make any health or medical-related decision based in whole or in part on anything contained in the Site. Please click here for detailed T&C.