Lipid 20mg Tablet
By STADMED PVT LTD
10 Tablet(s) in Strip
Price to be Updated
30 days return policyRead More
All the Products are packed and stored Safely
The medicine is a type of hypolipidemic/statin medicine that is used to decrease the levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) in the body. The generic name of this medicine is atorvastatin.
Uses of Lipid 20mg Tab
The uses of Lipid 20mg Tab include the lowering of LDL in individuals with high cholesterol, high triglyceride levels and cardiovascular diseases. It is also used in the prevention of stroke in individuals with heart conditions.
Contraindications of Lipid 20mg Tab
- Abnormal liver tests and liver diseases such as jaundice or hepatitis
- Pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers
- Allergic reaction to this medicine or other medicines belonging to the statin group of medicines
Side effects of Lipid 20mg Tab
- Common side effects of Lipid 20mg Tab include bleeding in nose, throat pain, nausea, constipation, diarrhoea, headache, joints and muscles pain, back pain, nightmares, inability to sleep, fatigue, dizziness, numbness in fingers, itching and rashread less
- Major side effect of this medicine is rhabdomyolysis (abnormal muscle breakdown with severe muscle pain)
- Severe illness with peeling and swelling of the skin, mouth, eyes, and genitals along with blisters on the palms of hands or soles of feet are also observed in some cases
Precautions and Warnings of Lipid 20mg Tab
Can I take Lipid 20mg Tab during pregnancy?
The medicine should not be taken during pregnancy or while planning a pregnancy as it can lead to severe complications.
Can I take Lipid 20mg Tab while breastfeeding?
The medicine should not be used during breastfeeding as it is deemed unsafe.
Can I drive if I have consumed Lipid 20mg Tab?
Yes, you can drive after its consumption. This medicine does not affect the individual's ability to drive.
Can I consume alcohol with Lipid 20mg Tab?
Alcohol intake during the treatment with this medicine can cause liver damage. Therefore, it should be avoided.
Other General Warnings
Talk to your doctor if
You have cardiovascular diseases, liver or kidney disorders, are on a prescription of fusidic acid and you have taken it in the last seven days, or are suffering from muscle-related disorders or had a family history of the same.
Mode of Action of Lipid 20mg Tab
How Does It Work?
The composition of Lipid 20mg Tab acts by hindering the activity of the HMG-CoA reductase, the enzyme which is involved in the formation of cholesterol. Therefore, the levels of LDL (bad cholesterol) in the body are lowered and that of the good cholesterol are increased.
Directions for Use of Lipid 20mg Tab
This medicine has to be swallowed whole with water with or without food. It should be taken as instructed by the physician.
Interactions of Lipid 20mg Tab
Interactions with other medicines
- This medicine should not be taken with fusidic acid or within seven days of stopping fusidic acid as it can cause a serious side effect of muscle breakdown (rhabdomyolysis)
- While being on the prescription of amiodarone, diltiazem or verapamil, the lowest dose of this medicine should be prescribed to the individual
- When this medicine is taken along with gemfibrozil, colestipol, ezetimibe and other cholesterol-lowering medicines, the risk of muscle breakdown is increased
- The levels of this medicine in the blood are elevated further resulting in serious side effects when this medicine is taken in combination with medicines like itraconazole, voriconazole, clarithromycin, cyclosporine, ketoconazole, erythromycin, clarithromycin, telithromycin, ritonavir, lopinavir, atazanavir, indinavir, darunavir and tipranavirread less
- This medicine should not be taken with medicines used in the treatment of hepatitis such as glecaprevir or pibrentasvir
Interactions with food items
The intake of grapefruit juice should be limited during the treatment with this medicine. Abstaining from food with high-fat content will be effective in achieving the desired results of this medicine.
Other general Interactions
Individuals with a history of muscular problems like rhabdomyolysis or who had or are having liver or kidney disorders are advised to report their respective conditions to the doctor before starting the treatment with this medicine.
Storage and disposal of Lipid 20mg Tab
This medicine should be stored at room temperature and as instructed on the label. It should not be used after the expiry date and it should be discarded properly via proper waste management methods advised by your pharmacist.
Dosage of Lipid 20mg Tab
The overdose of the medicine can lead to dizziness, muscular breakdown, lack of appetite and increased allergic reactions. An overdose should be immediately reported to your doctor.
Missed a Dose
In case you have missed any dose, it should be taken as soon as you realise it. If it is time for the impending dose, then the missed dose should be skipped and the regular dosing schedule should be followed. Extra medicine should not be taken for compensation of the missed dose.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What are the general precautions to be taken during treatment with the medicine?
A: The medicine is used for lowering the LDL (bad cholesterol) levels in the body. During the treatment with this medicine, avoid eating food with high-fat content and exercise regularly to achieve the effective results.
Q: What are the things to keep in mind during treatment with atorvastatin?
A: The doctor may closely monitor and test the individual for diabetes or a risk of developing diabetes during the treatment. The risk is high in individuals who are overweight and regularly have a diet with too much fat content.
Q: When and how should I use the medicine?
A: The dosage of Lipid 20mg Tab should be followed exactly as prescribed by the doctor. The tablet has to be swallowed with water and should be preferably taken at the same time everyday. The dose adjustments, if any, are to be done by the doctor only.
Q: What are things to be discussed with the doctor before consumption of atorvastatin?
A: The doctor should be informed if you have been taking fusidic acid prior to the treatment with this medicine. He/she should also be informed about any kidney or liver disorders. A family history of muscle problems or any current condition involving muscle ache or issues with other cholesterol-lowering medicines should be discussed.
- electronic Medicines Compendium (EMC). Package leaflet: information for the user. Atorvastatin 10 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin 20 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin 40 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin 80 mg film-coated tablets. Atorvastatin.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Atorvastatin.
- WebMD. Atorvastatin calcium.
Last Updated on: 31 Jul 2020 | 07:00 PM (IST)
The information provided herein is accurate, updated and complete as per the best practices of the Company. Please note that this information should not be treated as a replacement for physical medical consultation or advice. We do not guarantee the accuracy and the completeness of the information so provided. The absence of any information and/or warning to any drug shall not be considered and assumed as an implied assurance of the Company. We do not take any responsibility for the consequences arising out of the aforementioned information and strongly recommend you for a physical consultation in case of any queries or doubts. Please click here for detailed T&C.
Please add item(s) to proceed
1 Lakh+ Products
We maintain strict quality controls on all our partner retailers, so that you always get standard quality products.
100% secure and trusted payment protection
We have a new and dynamic return window policy for medicines and healthcare items. Refer FAQs section for more details.
Our Payment Partners
© 2021 PharmEasy. All Rights Reserved